Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker - Teaser Trailer

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by MacLeod, Apr 12, 2019.

1. Kirk Prime

Kirk Prime Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Nothing about this trailer was very exciting except the return of Palpatine, but if you think about it--if Palpatine is somehow legitimately back, then the sequel trilogy has officially completely destroyed the events of the original trilogy even more than they already had.

We left ROTJ with the Empire fallen. Palpatine was dead. Vader was dead. The Empire was gone. The good guys won. Democracy was restored. The galaxy rejoiced.

In ANH, we find out that it was for nothing--the new Empire has risen from the ashes and that's that.

Luke was gone. Han is killed.

In Last Jedi, Luke is killed, stupidly and with no meaning.

Now, we find out that the greatest victory--the death of Palpatine, could be undone, which means everything they accomplished in the original trilogy was for nothing.

Last Jedi left such bad will. I love Palpatine as a villain, but I'm not a fan of what this sequel trilogy did. It did not move the franchise forward at all. It merely undid everything from the original trilogy and replaced our heroes with characters that just aren't as good, at least in my opinion, as the original ones. There isn't one character I care about in the new trilogy.

2. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm not seeing how Rey being a Skywalker through a male sibling of Shmi is so convoluted; it's easy to reveal in a piece of dialogue or an image and is a far more simplistic way to explain the film's title than the idea that she names a sect of Force Users after a family she has no connections to.

It also doesn't even need to be delved into in-depth in the movie itself.

3. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

How did you handle the Legends EU then?

The Wormhole likes this.
  4. EnderAKH

EnderAKH Commodore Premium Member

Wait, you guys mean to tell me that in a movie series based on pulp serials like Flash Gordon... the bad guy didn't really die?!? Unheard of! Wow, wait until comic books here of this, then you won't be able to keep a bad guy dead.

The Wormhole and Campe like this.
  5. Campe

Campe Vice Admiral Admiral

Because it honestly requires a ton of backtracking on what we’ve seen in the past two episodes on the level of Obi-Wan’s certain point of view discussion. GL wanted to make it all fit so they did. I just don’t think it’s necessary.

I’ve also suggested the idea that The Rise of Skywalker could be right in front of us at the end of TLJ, that it has to do with the Legend of Luke Skywalker and that the only people that knew that Luke was “gone” were Leia and Rey. Skywalker could be at the legend of myth “saving” the galaxy when it truly is the Rebellion.

Honestly, I’m not understanding why you believe it’s necessary for Rey to be of Skywalker lineage. It just makes it far more small Galaxy than it needs to be. But if that's what they want to do, that's what they're going to do. I just find it to be not only redundant, but require some unnecessary backtracking, either onscreen or off.

Point is: there’s a lot of things the title could mean and we honestly don’t have a clue what it will. We’re all just speculating. And we will be for some time now. We're not always all going to agree on speculation and that's really okay.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
  6. fireproof78

Not trying to cherry pick but this is something that I keep seeing come up that resonates a bit more for me in my emotional state.

I went through something similar with ROTS. I was so depressed after ROTS that I wanted to give up on Star Wars. So, I can't sit there and throw stones about cooled ardor. But, I'll share something that I encountered on the other side of that. I found more fun in the Star Wars community than I ever derived from just the films. So, while I can appreciate the sentiment, I also know that it can get better.

ichab and DarKush like this.
  7. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't believe that Rey being a Skywalker is necessary, just that using that particular option- building on the fact that we know nothing about Shmi's side of the family - is a simpler explanation than having the title refer to her naming a new sect of Force Users after the Skywalker family.

8. Campe

Fair enough. But we’ve gone about this about a half a dozen times and we’re not going to agree. So until the movie comes out and more than likely both of us are wrong, let’s just agree to disagree. ;)

9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I really, really don't like the idea of making Rey a Skywalker through Shmi, it completely destroys the whole message of the character, and it just feels way to convoluted and fanwanky. It wouldn't destroy my love for Star Wars or anything like that, but it would sure as hell piss me off.
    Honestly, if they really want to make Rey a Skywalker I'd rather just see Rey take on the name as a tribute Luke, or have Leia tell her she's now a part of her family or something like that. But I really think at this point that fans just need to accept that Rey is not a Skywalker and just move on.
    I know a lot of complain that the sequels aren't about a Skywalker the way the prequels and sequels, but the way I look at it is that they are about the legacy of the Skywalkers, rather than focusing on the Skywalkers themselves.

Campe likes this.
  10. Campe

I like calling the saga - The Rise, Fall, Redemption and Legacy of Anakin Skywalker.

11. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

But just imagine the scene

Palpatine: I know of your parents, Rey.
    Rey: Kylo Ren told me about my parents. They were drunk lowlifes on Jakku who traded me for drinking money.
    Palpatine: There is more to that story. Your father is descended from Fred Skywalker.
    Rey: Who?
    Palpatine: The brother of Shmi Skywalker.
    Palpatine: Mother of Anakin Skywalker.
    Palpatine: Luke Skywalker's father!
    Rey: I thought that was Darth Vader?
    Palpatine: They're the same person!
    Rey: Huh. So what does this have to do with my parents?
    Palpatine: Your great-grandfather is Anakin Skywalker - Darth Vader's - cousin.
    Rey: So, I share a blood relation with Luke...
    Palpatine: Yes.
    Rey: And Kylo Ren is my distant cousin.
    Palpatine: Exactly.
    Rey: So aside from making it weirder that Kylo Ren seems to have a thing for me, what does knowing this really accomplish?
    Palpatine: Absolutely nothing.
    Rey: Right. I feel I could have been having a lightsabre fight in the time this conversation took.
    Palpatine: This conversation had to happen.

Absolutely riveting stuff. I will be pissed off if this scene isn't in the movie.

12. Campe

"No, I am your father?" Pfft. That will absolutely be the scene that will be talked about for years on end. Reminds me of...

Butters and The Wormhole like this.
  13. Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It even kind of makes sense. Sidious knew that there would be a civil war without end. What better way to wipe out your enemies? Fake your death, simmer for about three decades, let your enemies gather together under the New Republic banner, then blow them up using Starkiller Base! Then simply wipe out the Resistance. Problem solved!

I would love if we find out Rey is actually an offspring of Palpatine. Or, at least, another vergence (sp?) created by Palps.

14. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

I’m pretty sure that Palpy is dead, he’s just not happy about it.

15. saddestmoon

saddestmoon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Hmmm... in terms of the title, for it to mean something, it has to refer to a main character eg: Rey - or perhaps Kylo / Ben (taking the name)?

Otherwise, we are left with Luke (who is now force-ghosted) and his legend - or as peeps have suggested: there’s another descendent, with the surname / lineage. Alternately, it’s Anakin Skywalker returning - which I feel is extremely unlikely.

For the movie to centre around a legend of Luke, seems a bit of a stretch (IMO) so I think the title is more direct a meaning, than just a reference to Luke’s legend.

So my pick is on Rey being the Skywalker referenced in the title.

And I may well be incorrect about this, but just my two cents worth... :)

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
  16. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

Since the announcement of TFA, fans wanted Lando to return; and for the stars of the OT to all share more than a couple of scenes together. That never happened, and now that Williams returns for the last film, that's one of the key points of interest from the teaser. Despite the poor handling of OT characters in the ST, they are still the biggest draw (and the hook to bring audiences back from the start). Of course, Leia is a part of that interest--the last of the "big three" and Fisher's final performance. There's no doubt about that commanding more attention than any of the ST newbies. If that was not enough, digging up another OT-introduced character--Palpatine (even in voice only) hammered that point home in terms of the buzz from the teaser.

17. Campe

I mean, it’s cool Lando’s coming back but I’d be just fine had he not shown up and the focus be on the “ST newbies.”

EnderAKH likes this.
  18. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

I’m pretty sure it will be, Lando is just a nice addition.

Turtletrekker and Koric like this.
  19. fireproof78

I disagree on it being "the draw" but that will be subjected to interpretation.

Indeed.

Koric and Awesome Possum like this.
  20. Koric

Koric Commander Red Shirt

After seeing the trailer I am beyond excited for Lando's return. Seeing Lando flying the Falcon through Hyperspace and laughing. I kept thinking of Stalker in the old G.I. Joe cartoon. I wanted Lando to say Stalker's line:

"AINT NO LIE... I LOVE TO FLY..." Lol that was right after the cut in the trailer. :)

Can we get one scene where Lando comes in cigarello cape and all, and pimp slaps Rey and says "WITCH gimme back MY ship." PARLAY. "Han is gone... NOW its FAIR and SQUARE."

Then Lando says, " I DON'T always do it, but when I do, I do it with COLT 45 and KING COBRA."

If Han Solo was supposed to be Lucas's version of a Space Pirate and Cowboy and Smuggler, THEN...

Lando Calrissian should just be a Pimp, and old Pimp with a Cape and Cane.

Do it Disney, this isn't Polyanna Disney anymore.
    Right?
    -Koric