Spoilers Star Wars: The Last Jedi - Grading & Discussion

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by Commander Richard, Dec 10, 2017.

?

Grade the movie.

1. A+

13.8%
  2. A

17.6%
  3. A-

14.8%
  4. B+

13.8%
  5. B

7.2%
  6. B-

6.6%
  7. C+

3.1%
  8. C

5.9%
  9. C-

5.9%
  10. D+

1.4%
  11. D

2.1%
  12. D-

2.8%
  13. F

5.2%
  1. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

The funny thing is Rey/Kylo shipping is what passes for the SW fandom in the PRC and that was the country with the 3rd largest international box office for the Disney SW sequels only preceded by the UK/US (before TLJ bombed) . Which I think says it all about the state of SW there.

Qonundrum likes this.
  2. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

What fans? Is it the majority? Who are the "many" that are being referred to here. Certainly not in my experience is this a majority. It appears more in poorly written fan fiction and Rule 34.

The attraction of Rey and Kylo seems more predicated on Dark Side and Light Side joining forces than a racial component.

The fact that it keeps coming back to race is stupid and basically hamstrings the conversation without appreciating and depth or context.

Qonundrum and Campe like this.
  3. wayoung

wayoung Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I dunno, I thought the attraction between Kylo and Rey was more of a "nice guy" situation. He kept popping up in her head so she thought maybe she can save him from the dark side and make amends for writing him off. Nothing romantic.

Ben, meanwhile, took her jumping into his head and trying to save him as "OMG A GIRL FINALLY LIKES ME, I SHOULD KILL MY BOSS AND WE'LL LIVE TOGETHER FOREVER AND EVER RUILING THE UNIVERSE AND PUMPING OUT LITTTLE SKYWALKER. ITS WHAT GRANDARTH VADER WOULD HAVE DONE.

So when the chance comes Ben kills Smoke, turns to Rey and gets a hard no. Then he looses his shit.

4. Kevman7987

Kevman7987 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It took me a minute to see that you wrote "hard no." :wtf:

I'm also in the camp that doesn't care for the Reylo pairing, heck, she's a decade his junior! (Do not mention Leia & Han! That was a special case.)

5. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

lol

6. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

7. LJones41

LJones41 Commodore Commodore

I'm sorry, but Rey pretty much came off as a moron in her decision to "save" Kylo Ren. What's sad about it is that Luke's near act of murder wasn't a good excuse for Ren's behavior that night. He told Rey that he was going to show what led him to kill some of Luke's padawans that very night. As if Luke's action was an excuse for his own. And she bought it. Thanks to Rian Johnson, Rey stupidly bought Ren's excuse. It was so stupid, because the padawans that Ren had killed, had nothing to do with Luke's brief contemplation to kill him. I could understand Rey being upset by Luke's action. But to use that as a reason to go to Snoke's ship in order to "save" Kylo Ren . . . two or three days after he had tried to mind rape and kill her . . . was idiocy beyond belief to me.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
    USS Firefly likes this.
  8. Tuskin38

9. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

It's pretty clear that Rey thought she was following in Luke's footsteps, that she sensed some good in Kylo and just as with Luke did with Vader (who was *waaaay* more far gone and evil than Kylo), she thought she could bring him back over to the light. She was wrong. Her intentions were good, but she let her need for kinship and guidance cloud her judgement.

10. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

The key difference between Vader and Kylo being, of course, that Anakin was entrapped by the dark side and hated being Vader, while Kylo sought evil out, and was in fact resisting an instinct towards goodness. Trouble is, Luke had no way of knowing Vader secretly wanted a way out of being Vader, and Rey didn't know that every time Kylo had a warm thought, he prayed to Vader's melted helmet to force it away, so they both made the same gamble on incomplete information.

11. indranee

indranee Vice Admiral Admiral

No, Kylo didn't seek the Dark Side out. It sought him out when he was a child in the form of Snoke.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
  12. fireproof78

Wait a second-Luke tries to save Vader who had done far worse and Rey is the moron!!!?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
    Awesome Possum likes this.
  13. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

He didn't try to kill her. He just fought her.

14. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

True. This sequel series producers--despite the clear chemistry as presented by Ridley and Boyega in their roles--are determined (as of two of the three films in the can), the clear as day forcing of Rose as some romantic interest (nevermind there's no evidence of that in the entire film, and Finn certainly does not have even a hint of those feelings toward her) to keep this lead black male from the lead white female. The decision plays into one of Hollywood's lingering issues with race, black masculinity (in relation to white women) and also feeds into the desires of a certain part of the fanbase, who love to claim how tolerant they are...except in the case of the most natural relationship in this sequel series.

You are quite correct about the motives of some "shippers"; early on, even when they toyed with the idea that Rey could be a Skywalker, they were ill-minded enough to still want Rey involved with Kylo Ren instead of Finn. Apparently, they have fewer problems with an implied incestuous relationship than Rey loving a black male.

Because Star Wars--as conceived by George Lucas--follows numerous, traditional character and storytelling motifs (particularly in fantasy)--the romance of the heroic lead(s) being one at the top of how SW is presented as a fairy tale in space. Han was romantically involved with Leia, and Padme romantically involved with Anakin. That's as much a vital part of the SW story as the hero's journey (SW style) from novice/challenged/overcoming the conflict. This is not about "needing a man by her side" but the SW series purposely repeating key, plot-defining motifs--in two trilogies so far..

15. indranee

indranee Vice Admiral Admiral

It was pretty much a "friendship" chemistry (onscreen) between Boyega and Ridley and they're still keeping that, so I don't see the problem. It doesn't have the UST that Ridley and Driver do (onscreen). Anyone with any experience in HAVING that kind of chemistry in their real lives would know it. Then again, fanboys clearly do not have a lot of experience in that regard, so I'm not surprised they don't see it ;)

Set Harth and Campe like this.
  16. Hela

Hela Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Had no hook ups whatsoever.

That was the sequels. Which were never dreamed of upon ‘conception’, because no one ever thought Star Wars would turn into Star Wars.

Nope.

Besides the obvious fact that the archetypal Star Wars ‘fairytale’ movie lacks a romance (aside from Owen and Beru), you could easily cut the Han/Leia romance from the OT and the basic plot remains the same. It’s nice to have, but not ‘necessary.’

So much for wanting ‘what Lucas conceived.’

Lucas doesn’t want the new trilogies to repeat the past. Hence slamming TFA, but praising R1 and TLJ.

And funnily enough...the leads in R1 didn’t hook up either. I also have a slight inkling that Han will end up single by the end of the next movie, and that Ahsoka won’t be unexpectedly shacking up with Obi Wan or Anakin.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
    Campe and fireproof78 like this.
  17. fireproof78

Doesn't matter. Let them do something different that what, currently, is extremely predictable and safe.

It isn't vital to the story. It's just a trope, and well worn out by now. There is no reason to keep because "Star Wars." That is poor logic at best.
    Han had a girlfriend in deleted scene from ANH.

Campe likes this.
  18. Hela

Hela Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I imagine Han had several off screen partners in ANH. Although I’d probably hesitate to call it ‘romance.’ :biggrin:

Honestly, I could live with Rey being revealed as being (and staying) the same way. Having a character ‘not ending up in a relationship’ doesn’t have to equal ‘sexless virgin’ (Luke) or ‘immature, afraid-of-commitment man-whore, who needs some True Love to fix them’(Han).

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
    theenglish and fireproof78 like this.
  19. Tuskin38

A girl at every space port.

20. T'Bonz

T'Bonz Romulan Curmudgeon Administrator

The Anakin-Padme romance just sickened me as a woman. WTF was she thinking?

fireproof78 and Awesome Possum like this.