Star Wars The Clone Wars Season Six

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Mr Light, Mar 7, 2014.

1. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Captain Captain

:techman:

2. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Vader won't be calling Ahsoka "Snips." That's a term of endearment. Anakin is dead. Vader doesn't care about anyone anymore.

3. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

RE: Ahsoka and Vader-- From this description of the Rebels S2 premiere from the Star Wars Celebration...

Kanan, Ezra, and Ahsoka make a connection through the Force to impede Darth Vader, and to find out who he is. It is at this point that Ahsoka learns that he was once Anakin Skywalker, causing her to panic, to scream out “No!”, and break the Force connection, which causes her to lose consciousness for the remainder of the battle.

Darth Vader, conversely, learns who Ahsoka is, even saying “So, the apprentice lives!” in response to learning of her survival. (It should be noted that some have misheard the line as “Hello, Snips.” due to the applause that occurred in the audience when Ahsoka learned of the truth. This is not what he says, hilariously out-of-character though it would have been. He also does not say “My apprentice lives!” as some have reported for a reason that will be detailed below.) Darth Vader then makes it his mission to bring Ahsoka and the Ghost crew back alive for his own purposes.

4. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Unless it's a taunt.

He could use it to taunt her, and that wouldn't require an ounce of compassion over a past memory.

5. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

You guys realise I wasn't seriously expecting Vader to ever say "Snips" right? I just thought the idea of hearing JEJ say that word as Vader would be funny. ;)
    I could see it work either way, dramatically speaking, but yes, I'd much rather see her experience that revelation first hand.

I wonder what the official story is regarding Anakin's fate? Did they say he was killed by Windu defending Palpatine from the "assassination attempt"? The 501st clones that he lead on the purge of the Jedi temple probably knew who he was, but with their chips activated it's doubtful the distinction meant anything to them given their unquestioning mindset.

On the other hand perhaps Kenobi wasn't entirely bullshitting and the official story is that Vader slew both Skywalker and Kenobi on Mustafar? A neat way of shedding his identity as Anakin and solidifying Vader's reputation by have him single handedly defeating two of the most renowned Jedi masters in the war. Or perhaps the details were simply obfuscated and never again mentioned in Imperial propaganda after the event. It stands to reason that they'd move to erase as much memory of the Jedi and their legacy as much as possible.

6. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

If Vader says "snips" I am done with this show.

7. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

It might sound silly because of the voice, but I don't think it would be so ridiculous for Vader to say "Snips."

Vader's on the ship minding his own business, doing his Vader things, when suddenly he senses a familiar presence... "Snips?" He turns around, and he finds Ahsoka standing there, lightsaber in hand, ready to take him down.

8. Saul

So Vader still uses cute nicknames for all those friends of his he didn't kill?

It would sound about as natural as him saying "cowabunga!".

9. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^No weirder than listening to James Earl Jones doing those hyperactive narrations for the Arby's commercials...

10. cooleddie74

This is a fictional universe where alien pack animals fart into the camera and Darth Vader as a small child yelled "YIPPEEEE!!!" on more than one occasion. I believe hearing the nickname "Snips" spoken by James Earl Jones is far from the least-appealing or the dumbest-sounding thing that could happen.

11. Saul

Alien Animal farting and little Ani shouting YippeeE! has nothing to do with the badass that existed long before all that crap. Beyond the whole "nooooooo!" thing he has come out of Lucas' revisionism pretty well. Lets not degrade him more.

Haven't heard it before but checked it out now. Wouldn't have known it was him to be honest. Sounds younger.

12. cooleddie74

Yeah, they sound even goofier and worse than the nickname "Snips." ;)

But to each their own. It probably won't happen anyways.

13. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

Considering "Snips" was Anakin's reaction to Ashoka calling him "Skyguy", if Vader used it, it would be in a potentally durogitory way, or perhaps filled with sarcasm. Vader may be cold, but he is still at least partly human. He still had a sense of humor, be it rather dark. "Do you feel you've been treated unfairly?"

14. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Vader is Anakin. Underneath that suit, he's still the same person with the same memories. There's no reason he wouldn't call her Snips if that's the name that pops into his head. To him it wouldn't be a "cute nickname." It's just what he calls her. That doesn't have to change just because he's suddenly eeeeeviiiilll.

15. Ithekro

He could use it to twist an emotional knife into Ashoka. Sith dueling standards use tactics like that to put the enemy off balance. Vader used taunts/banter in all his fights. So did Dooku. Only Maul was oddly silent. Letting his double blade do the taunting for him.

16. Rarewolf

Rarewolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's where I saw it

I thought he simply said Ahsoka, but yes the audience was a bit loud at that point. Later towards the end of the episode she says she didn't know who the Sith Lord was, but personally I thought her face - as much as a CGI expression can - might have been saying something different.

Additionally, I wrote this on another forum at the time
    When he reports back the Emperor, she is simply referred to as 'the apprentice of Anakin Skywaker', which is a nice nod to their scene in Empire.

Last edited: May 28, 2015
  17. Saul

Tell that to Vader. Luke said the same thing to which Vader said "That name no longer has any meaning." He doesn't see himself as Anakin anymore.

18. Ithekro

He doesn't, but he can still remember things and use that to his advantage.

19. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Wait, wait -- you're saying... Darth Vader is Luke's father? No! That can't be! It's impossible!

20. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Search your feelings! Or Wookiepedia! Either works. ;)