Star Wars The Clone Wars Season Five News and Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, Jul 15, 2012.

1. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Such little retcons have been going on all along, certainly ever since the PT came out and retconned aspects of the OT here and there, heck, really ever since the special editions of the OT came out, even if not before during the original run of the OT. It's par for the course.

To someone reared on the original run of the OT, it's really not a big deal.

2. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    I'm a gargantuan OT fan who grew up with the original theatrical versions and can be one of the most nitpicky bastards on this entire planet when I want, but I'm not complaining about any of this neither.

Even if a few of these are legitimate retcons, they happen. Trek has them, too. When you continually pen and produce a sci-fi/fantasy franchise that lasts for decades and use different writers this thing is occasionally going to happen because keeping an entire universe that's been on the big and small screens since before a whole lot of us were even born 100% consistent with itself isn't going to be possible.

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^Right. Every ongoing work of fiction is revised over time. Either different creators come in and bring new perspectives and interpretations, or the same creator has new ideas and reconsiders certain things.

I've recently come to the realization that storytellers and audiences perceive fiction in very different ways. To the audience, a work of fiction is something they experience as a pre-existing whole, so they may be inclined to see it as fixed and permanent, and thus react badly to any changes or discontinuities. But to the creator, that work is the end result of a long process of trial and error, revisions, second thoughts, improvements, and the like. It's that process of questioning and reconsidering the content of the work that shaped it in the first place, so it's natural that the author continues to question and reconsider even after the work is published/released. And so creators may change their minds about what they did in an earlier installment of a series, decide it will be better if it's interpreted differently. Ideally you try to find a way to mesh the old information smoothly with the new so that it feels consistent, but that's not always feasible.

4. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

I've read somewhere that even JRR Tolkien at one point considered rewriting The Hobbit to better fit with The Lord of the Rings.

5. Christopher

^I thought he actually did rewrite a portion of The Hobbit to fit better with LOTR.

6. cooleddie74

Just look at the very first season of TNG. In "Encounter at Farpoint" Data says he's from the Starfleet Academy "class of '78" whereas later episodes clearly set the first season of the series during the year 2364 and Data's discovery on Omicron Theta taking place in the year 2338.

7. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Tolkein rewrote the Gollum chapter so that Gollum didn't willingly give up the Ring.

8. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

Although he did think about completely overhauling the Hobbit and I think he may have started on it, the only changes that were made were Riddles in the Dark to be more true to what Bilbo says what happened in the Lord of the Rings.

9. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Tolkien was never done rewriting anything he wrote until the day he died.

10. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Clone Wars retconned Anakin into a likable character.

11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've wondered what people would have thought of the prequels if the Anakin we got in them was closer to the way he was portrayed in TCW.

12. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

I thought I'd take a few minutes to report that I've checked and confirmed that my memory was correct about these minor errors in Death Star by Michael Reaves and Steve Perry. Details from the hardcover first edition are as follows.

1. One example of book dialog not matching up exactly with film dialog is in the following line on page 330.

Instead of "avoiding", the word in the film is "evading". I wonder whether someone transcribed the line from the film and simply had trouble with the officer's accent. According to other EU material, this line was spoken by Lieutenant Tanbris.​

2. Another example is that the book mistakenly refers to Docking Bay 327 as Docking Bay 2037, first referenced AFAIK on page 297. This is fairly inexplicable to me, as "327" is well known as one of Lucas's signature Easter eggs, at least since the "327 Chevy" line in American Graffiti (which was spoken by the Terry "the Toad" to Debbie, about the engine of Steve's Chevrolet Impala, and which he's lying about, by the way, because he's trying to impress her).​

3. The issue with the surviving Y-wing is as follows. On page 352, after Red Leader and the two other X-wing pilots covering him on his attack run are killed, the book reads as follows.

That passage is pretty clearly incompatible with the existence of the Y-wing in the film which is seen escaping the Death Star's explosion with Luke, Wedge, and the Falcon.

None of these are major issues, of course. There may or may not be other discrepancies with the films.

I find them objectionable only because they take me out of the moment while reading. Death Star has gotten mixed reviews, but I was rather impressed with its take on events in Episode IV, and I quite enjoyed reading it. I certainly don't consider its interpretations canonical, and nor does that, or these minor problems here, in any way affect my enjoyment of the book. The book simply offers an alternate interpretation, as far as I'm concerned, and one that I'm glad to have been exposed to.

Last edited: May 9, 2013
  13. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

14. cooleddie74

I'd love to see a new animated series that helps fill in at least some of the 30-year gap between Jedi and Episode VII. The birth of the New Republic, revival of the Jedi Order and the battles with the surviving remnants and holdouts of the old Empire could prove just as thrilling to watch as the drama and turmoil of the Clone Wars.

Besides, I don't think they would have left the post-Jedi timeline completely untouched now that we're getting the Sequel Trilogy that will raise some new questions about just what precisely happened after the Battle of Endor and the deaths of the Emperor and Vader. A 30-year gap is just too huge to ignore when it comes to satisfying sci-fi/fantasy fans, especially Star Wars geeks.

15. Admiral_Young

I personally think that the new series will touch on some post ROTJ era. Whatever the case was (fan fic or real concept) with that reported "leaked" document...I think they at least had the right idea going. I would have watched that series. I think we'll get some kind of announcement or news in the summer time like SDCC time...or maybe they'll wait until Celebration VI, and I think I've mentioned this before, but Filoni will most likely be involved in some capacity. He's at least earned that with his work on "Clone Wars".

16. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

17. Christopher

I guess they were using tracks from the movies as temp music for the incomplete episode. I wonder if they do that all the time. I like it better than Kiner's stuff.

18. cooleddie74

Did you guys hear the news about the new animated series that'll be set between the Prequel and Original Trilogies during the period of the rise of the Rebellion and the Galactic Civil War? It premieres in the fall of 2014, will air on DisneyXD and is tentatively called Star Wars: Rebels.

19. Admiral_Young

Yep. There's already a thread for it. I'm excited.

I also enjoy Kiner's score for the Clone Wars series. That clip between Anakin and Yoda is awesome.

20. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well this 'sequel' series makes the cancellation of The Clone Wars not sting so bad. Everything that didn't get to happen in future seasons of TCW can now happen in the new show. I'm very excited!