Star Wars The Clone Wars Season Five News and Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, Jul 15, 2012.

1. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Witwer's work on Clone Wars was just standout and top notch. Some of the best animated voice work I've seen on either the small or big screen in a long time. Sam deserves any and all nods and awards that he gets for his participation in the series.

2. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

I agree with that. He took a one-dimensional villain in Maul and actually made a compelling, nuanced character out of him. Witwer always impresses me...he gives 110% in every role he's in.

3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, Witwer's Maul has been great, and definitely deserves the recognition.
    I'm glad to hear they'll be addressing the whole Sifo-Dyas thing.

4. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

It's too bad that Filoni and the other Raiders of the Lost Arcs didn't just quietly ride off into the sunset instead of somehow managing to further screw up canon even after the cancellation of the show.

5. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

You guys may have seen these but they're fun:
    [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YaxY_6Wb5w[/yt]
    [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRMkwWO2vuU[/yt]

I love watching him in character as Maul. Clancy Brown is like "This guy is crazy...".

6. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

The EU is tie-in literature only a small minority of fans cared about and as such this was always a possibility, Lucas lied about it being canon just deal with it, you're less likely to break a blood vessel that way.

7. Booji

Booji Commodore Premium Member

^this. the EU is not canon, never has been. it was always known that it could be overridden at a moments notice by Lucasfilm. As someone who no longer follows the EU, I thank the maker for throwing more of it in the trash. Especially since The Clone Wars is infinitely better than anything the EU has ever produced, and it's not even close.

8. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

People read far too much into the word "canon." Even canon itself is not exempt from being overwritten or contradicted by later canon. Heck, the Special Editions of the original trilogy should prove that, not to mention the reinterpretations that the prequels introduced. And we've seen canon retconned or ignored in most other long-running franchises. Modern Star Trek has ignored some of the sexist assumptions of the original, or ignored some of the more implausible ideas of bad installments like "The Alternative Factor," ST V, and "Threshold." Marvel Comics constantly rewrites its history to fit a sliding timescale, so that stories that originally happened in the '60s or '70s are now assumed to have happened in the 2000s. Dallas retconned a whole season to be just a dream. And so forth. Canon has never been a guarantee of permanence.

9. cooleddie74

And even in filmed, televised and theatrically-released stories you often have debates about whether certain stories are even canon to begin with. TAS, for example. We still have debates about the official status of the animated series and the thing ceased production almost 40 years ago. I still know more than a few fans who don't include TAS in the history of Kirk's original five-year mission. Gene Roddenberry went to his grave saying that elements of Star Trek V weren't canonical and he didn't accept them as part of the Trek timeline and backstory to his characters.

So yeah, canon is not only rewritten from time to time but it's also rejected by the very creators of the franchises themselves.

10. Set Harth

Huh? In what way did Lucas lie about it?

Star Wars isn't Star Trek. It's not a question of only filmed properties being "canon" and everything else being "non-canon". In Star Wars the idea was supposed to be that the literature, etc. was canon, just a lower level of canon, meaning that the films ( or Lucas ) took precedence if there was a conflict. It could always be overwritten, and such overwrites were already old news in the franchise by 1983.

And it's still possible for TCW to screw things up even if the EU is treated as though it doesn't exist. ( Senate Spy, anyone? ) For example, the approach they take with Order 66 could end up effectively ignoring what AOTC told us about the clones. Though all EU is not created equal, some of it is good at logical consistency with the films. In other words, with some creators you can see the investment of effort to such consistency. With others, not so much.

11. Booji

Booji Commodore Premium Member

exactly. the EU is not official canon. as such, I don't understand the unnecessary drama about shitty EU stories getting tossed in the garbage that only a very small fraction of Star Wars fans have ever read.

12. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Additionally, consistency isn't the highest value anyway, not mine at least. For example, despite inconsistencies with ANH, I thought that Death Star by Michael Reaves and Steve Perry was well worth reading and thinking about. It doesn't have to mesh perfectly to be worthwhile in its own right, which I thought it was.

But, to answer why complain: we fans love to bleat and grind our axes. That's what we do! ;) :lol:

13. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Where was Death Star inconsistent with the movie?

14. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Damn, I was afraid someone might ask that.

It's been a while since I read it so I can't give a complete answer. There weren't any that I considered major.

I recall some of the movie dialog being incorrect, a minor point but one that shouldn't have fallen through the cracks, since it would have been easy enough to fix. Another minor point is that, IIRC, it forgot to mention that not only did two X-Wings survive the climactic battle, but also one Y-Wing did as well (it forgot the Y-Wing).

15. Set Harth

Not all EU is the same. Some may be shitty. Some, arguably, is not. It may have varying degrees of shittiness, like pretty much any collection of anything. Some EU has been better at consistency with the movies. Some tries to fix plot holes in the films. People may hate the very concept of the EU, but that doesn't change the fact that in some cases the EU made choices that were well thought out and logically sound given the information in the films.

A lot of the choices made by the Raiders of the Last Arcs have been shitty. It's not a question of majority rule. Screwing up the Clone Wars political situation, for example, was unnecessary. This kind of thing doesn't toss some obscure book "in the garbage". It craps on films watched by people who don't read books.

16. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

I know I'm going to regret this but....

What exactly from the films did The Clone Wars contradict exactly?

17. cooleddie74

Yeah, I was thinking the exact same thing. If the Clone Wars series dropped a huge smelly scatbomb on the live-action Saga films I'd be curious to know how. From my memory and perspective there's little to argue with other than no mention whatsoever of important and long-running characters like Ahsoka in Episode III, but that can be chalked up to the fact that the film was made several years before the animated series premiered and the supposition that events in the third prequel had progressed forward enough from the events in The Clone Wars that Anakin or Obi-Wan had no in-universe reason or excuse to mention Ahsoka.

18. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well there is the fact that ObiWan and Anakin appear to have not met Dooku since Episode II, nor have they ever met Grevious face to face. Clone Wars ignored boththose points. Plus the entire Seperatist Council is capturedin TCW despite stillbeing free in RotS. There are differences in the way the politics of the war are portrayed as well.

And this is coming from someone eho loves the show and wishes it had several more years to wrap up its storylines.

19. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

The only reference to inter-movie Dooku encounters is Anakin telling him his powers have doubled since last they met. Doesn't necessarily mean it was AOTC.

As for Grevious, it is clear that only Anakin has never met him before from the dialogue. He speaks as if he knows Obi-Wan. And Anakin never fought Grevious in the cartoon.

At some point in a future episode the Seperatist leaders would have been broken out of jail by their cohorts.

20. Set Harth

Yet when they fight on Utapau, he feels the need to proclaim "You fool! I've been trained in your Jedi arts by Count Dooku!" as though they've never dueled before ( which was probably the original intention ).

Also, it's GRIEVOUS ( actual word in the English language ),
    not GREVIOUS ( not an English word ).