Star Wars The Clone Wars Season Five News and Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, Jul 15, 2012.

1. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Even if the animation was only done on these 8-10 episodes, surely the cast recordings were done for almost an entire season's worth. I certainly hope they at least give us those with crude animatics or something.

They also mentioned a forthcoming Yoda storyline. I still can't believe the only episode in the entire series to feature Yoda was the pilot. I want more Yoda dammit!

2. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    I don't know if this bodes well for a possible continuation and resolution of the Captain Rex storyline, but as of right now Hasbro has plans in the works to release a realistically-styled 3.75" figure of Captain Rex in an early wave of the upcoming Saga Legends action figure line set to premiere at retail at the end of this coming summer.

It might not be connected at all, but in the middle of the recent Disney buyout, cancellation of The Clone Wars and the upheaval, revamping and reshuffling of the Hasbro Star Wars lines the realistic Rex figure survived.

3. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Disney just shut down the LucasArts gaming division which makes me wonder about the fate of Lucasfilm Animation.

4. cooleddie74

I just read that over at Jedi Temple Archives. Damn. Another blow to the image of the new Disney regime.

Let's just say most folks aren't taking this news with a smile and a "so what."

5. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

That's weird. When Disney bought Pixar and Marvel, they didn't move in and try to change or dismantle things. On the contrary -- the whole reason they acquired those companies was to let them be themselves, to do the things they already did better than Disney did, and just let Disney get the profits. I would've assumed that they acquired Lucasfilm for the same reasons. So why would they suddenly be going all corporate and dismantling/restructuring stuff? It doesn't fit their previous pattern.

6. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

According to the article I read, they haven't had a successful game since 2008 and their heydey was in the 90s...

7. lennier1

lennier1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Only a few hours later they also announced layoffs at ILM (resources shared between Lucas' companies, like HR, IT, ...).

In recent years they mainly handled licensing. The actual game development was done by different companies (e.g., Bioware developed the current MMORPG).

8. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

ding ding ding ding ding

9. cooleddie74

Disney better not screw all of this up.

I had to sit through 101 Dalmatians II: Patch's London Adventure. Those bastards have a lot of making up to do with movie viewers.

10. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I know I've kind of been standing up for Disney before, but I can't in this case. This seriously sucks. They also announced since LucasArts isn't going to do internal development anymore that means they aren't going to finish 1313 (which was going to star Boba Fett) and the other game I can't remember the name of. You'd think they could have at least let them finish stuff they were already working on. Especially since 1313 seemed to be getting really good press.

11. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

It just baffles me that they spend millions on developing a game, like Battlefront 3 and 1313, and then when it's 90% done they just shitcan the whole thing. Why not spent a million or two more to finish the game, release it, and actually make some of your money back???

12. cooleddie74

Because they clearly don't know what they're doing, and it's possible they might not ever know when it comes to these kinds of games.

Disney might as well own the rights to the concept of hubris.

13. Christopher

I suppose that in decisions like this, the idea is that the money you save by downsizing and consolidating outweighs the money you lose by cancelling projects. Although I agree that does seem rather shortsighted. It wouldn't be the first time corporate beancounters favored a quick profit over a long-term investment.

14. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

1313 seemed to have garnered a bit of a buzz too which makes it disappointing. I heard they might farm that one out.

I saw some of the staff used the opportunity to release the source code to a couple of older games like Jedi Outcast.

15. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

From the concept art it looks like Highsinger was supposed to be in it.

16. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I miss the excitement that came with Saturday mornings and a new TCW episode. Since I grew up in the 80s there is that excitement with waking up Saturday and having the day off plus winning a bunch of rad cartoons to watch... I'm sure many of you remember that!

So... I guess in conclusion, :( to no more TCW on Saturdays but :) to nostalgia in general. I'm actually rewatching S4's Obi Wan undercover arc and it's not nearly as bad as I've been madly raving about since it aired. :D

Could it be that some of these episodes will improve with age?

17. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Possibly. Advanced dementia might make Hunt for Ziro work, for example.

18. cooleddie74

I think the series will be fondly remembered as time passes. Five full seasons (plus whatever's still left to release) isn't too shabby for a sci-fi/fantasy series of any stripe, animated or otherwise. CW lasted longer than, say, Enterprise or even TOS, and there are so many Star Wars fans of all ages around the world that there'll always be a market for telling the plethora of stories of what happened during the Clone Wars.

As long as a kid watches A New Hope and hears Luke Skywalker and Leia's hologram mention "the Clone Wars" there'll be a market for the series.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2013
  19. Christopher

Let's see... 22 minutes times 111 episodes, plus the 98-minute pilot movie, is 42 hours and 20 minutes of content, not counting the uncertain number of story arcs yet to be released. By contrast, the six live-action movies so far add up to only about 13.5 hours. So at the moment, there's more than 3 times as much The Clone Wars content as there is live-action theatrical film content. So it would take the new film franchise maybe a dozen more movies to catch up.

20. Booji

Booji Commodore Premium Member

they actually do! I did a rewatch last year through season 4, in proper chronological order, and some "meh" episodes were much better. I don't know if anything can save the droid arc though.