Star Wars The Clone Wars Season Five News and Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, Jul 15, 2012.

1. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

Either way, the protagonist was explicitly stated to be a bounty hunter and definitively not a Force user. Ahsoka would not have been a possibility.

2. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Under normal, healthy market circumstances there'd be tie-in action figures to accompany a new game like this and both would appear in stores at about the same time, but with the present toy and action figure market being in a state of flux and hostage to rising labor costs and disappointing sales we probably won't see any of the game's characters turned into plastic for fans and collectors.

Does anybody here remember the ample selection of characters from the first Force Unleashed game that were available in stores? Rahm Kota? Juno Eclipse? Maris Brood? Others? Yeah, don't expect anything like that this time around. Not unless Hasbro has some very fun surprises under its sleeve, and I'm doubting that.

3. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

So people in countries like China where the bulk of these toys are made want more more a few quid a day in wages and you think they're taking the manufacturers hostage?

Good for them I say.

4. cooleddie74

NO, that's not what the heck I meant at all. I am not in favor of slave wages for labor and am glad Chinese workers' pay is rising after years of toiling in that sweatshop environment. More power to them. Get everything you can.

I'm just repeating the terminology a lot of others are using, and you shouldn't read something unsavory into it when it's not there. All I was saying is: costs are rising. Nothing more.

5. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

I haven't really chimed in yet since the finale, so I'll do so briefly. I had intended to rewatch it and let it jell some more before commenting, but given real life, I won't have the opportunity to do so, or to read everything upthread, anytime soon.

Anyway, when the credits rolled, it was pretty obvious that the show would most likely be canceled. There was enough "ambiguity", if you could call it that, that seemed to leave the door open for more story, but Ahsoka's arc as a part of the Jedi was pretty clearly irrevocably over. (Cancellation is for the best anyway, as far as I'm concerned. No way would I have paid more to add a premium Disney channel to watch another season of TCW.)

Indeed, the Jedi all but turned their backs on Ahsoka. They really came across as assholes. When they offered her a chance to rejoin, they completely marginalized the position that they had put her in. That right there was a major clue that it was coming to an end—or, more precisely, that any continuation in which Ahsoka said in effect "No worries!" would have been completely implausible and unsatisfactory.

As to the arc involving the assassin, I thought there were at least three important dangling threads.

The level of Tarkin's complicity, including whether there was really any at all, was one important dangling thread. Tarkin's self-confidence struck me as a narrative device that de facto excluded the possibility that Tarkin could have been mistaken or fooled by certain means of framing Ahsoka for the assassination of Letta Turmond. In particular, if Tarkin was not complicit, then, unless the security of the prison block was intact to the best knowledge of the military, I would have felt betrayed by the narrative itself. This is just part of who I expect Tarkin to be: when he struts badassery, he can back it up all the way, at least at this point in his career. Leading up to the events of ANH, all his past successes should reinforce his self-confidence, so that at the end he doesn't believe there is any need to evacuate the Death Star. Making him incompetent before that point would just diminish his character, not to mention the Rebels' accomplishment.

If Tarkin was telling the truth about the evidence against Ahsoka, then the question becomes how was it that he was fooled. Under the assumptions of the previous paragraph, it could only have been some extraordinary means, such as involving the Sith, as discussed upthread, or another fallen Jedi. The question of additional conspirators besides Barriss Offee, even if Tarkin was telling the whole truth, was never settled, either, and was another important dangling thread.

Any continuation which would just let those threads drop, by not having, or having had, the Jedi look into them, would have been completely unsatisfactory. Even if, say, Tarkin tried to argue that the problem was no longer a Jedi concern, but rather a military one, that wouldn't be so. The Jedi should be concerned with whether Barriss Offee really was the only Force-wielder involved in the assassination of Letta Turmond, as any additional people involved could reasonably still be among the Jedi ranks, or be Sith. Naturally, it would be logical in any continuation for Tarkin to assume the role of an inquisitor against the Jedi Order, to try to expose any other conspirators.

Further, unmasking the assassin as Barriss Offee hardly automatically explains everything. If the mere fact that she is a Jedi is enough for her to have been single-handedly responsible for everything, then every Jedi should have been a suspect. If it really was only Barriss Offee doing all that, including breaking prison security without Tarkin's knowledge, then that could be touted as a clear and present danger to the Republic. It could form part of the cornerstone for Special Order 66, which if it did would surely be worthy of some screen time. As far as I recall, this rift between the Jedi and the military really began with the assassination arc, though Tarkin was always shown to be skeptical of the Jedi. What's behind this rift, including whether and how responsibility is shared between Tarkin and Darth Sidious, constitutes another important dangling thread.

The finale felt really rushed. I would have preferred that the final season spent less time on nonsense like the D-squad, and have instead devoted at least one more episode to wrapping up or at least addressing the outstanding issues I had.

6. EnsignRicky

EnsignRicky Commodore Commodore

TheForce.Net is reporting that the creative team is being disbanded and let go.

Sad news. On the one hand these guys really knew how to bring the McQuarrie side of Star Wars to life. On the other, Disney already has animators coming out of their ears.

I just hope that they're wise enough to keep Filoni (if he would even want to stay at this point) and the core creative team; Because even if it's not The Clone Wars, if Disney wishes to continue doing Star Wars animation of any kind, these are the people who have proven that they know how it's done.

7. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

That report stated that they're being let go OR reassigned. I suspect that Filoni will be involved in the new series in some capacity.

8. cooleddie74

Let's hope so. It's not that I wouldn't trust the quality of a future animated project that he's not involved with, but he's more than proven himself over the past five years when it comes to the Star Wars universe and he's one of the best people out there when it comes to this genre. Let's just say I'd be more skeptical if he weren't part of the creative team behind it.

9. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

I believe Filoni's continued involvement was confirmed by a Disney executive during a conference call. They would be foolish to get rid of him.

I'm disappointed about the rest of the team being let go or re-assigned but not surprised. I expect Disney will do away with LFL Animation. It's what they do, they have a ton of animation studios and I don't see them keep a distant foreign one around. It's a shame...Clone Wars blew away just about every Disney television product out there.

I don't think Disney hates The Clone Wars. More like they simply don't give a fuck about the show or its fans. I hope I'm wrong but I wouldn't be suprised if we don't see any of this "bonus content." When you don't give a fuck about something, you're not exactly in a rush to do more of it. I find moves like caneling The Clone Wars by Disney and others to be unnecessarily hostile towards the fanbase.

It's a shame too because a character like Ahsoka is unlikely to ever appear again onscreen, at least not for a long time.

This might have been the original report...

http://www.examiner.com/article/layoffs-at-lucasfilm-animation

10. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sorry DarthPipes, but I think the evidence may suggest Disney does hate The Clone Wars, it's fans, etc. a whole lot.

Disney has disbanded the team that produced the series. Apparently their talent is more of a threat to them than a benefit.

I think DarthPipes is correct to say we may never see this "bonus content" as it truly may be just that, destined for easter egg status on future DRM online-only digital downloads of Star Wars Disney (TM) content twenty years plus down the road.

This reminds me of the time that Palpatine sensed the surge in the power of the Super Maul Bros and came and obliterated them.

From TheForce.Net:
    "Disney planned to place future Star Wars TV projects in the hands of its existing television operation."
    http://www.theforce.net/latestnews/story/The_Clone_Wars_Team_Reportedly_Being_Disbanded_150781.asp

This bad feeling I'd had [regarding the Disney-future of this series] for months now and the slow realization that Disney's TV channel wouldn't be broadcasting The Clone Wars episodes... to the show's outright cancellation... and now the mass firings of the staff, I can't imagine things getting any worse for fans of The Clone Wars right now. The writing was on the wall the moment the 3D releases were shit canned.

This is truly the bottom of the fucking sarlacc pit! :klingon:

11. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm suddenly very, very happy that Disney did not buy Hasbro.

I was never a big fan of Clone Wars, but I feel for you who were. This sucks.

12. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Once again I point that the article states that the staff are being let go OR reassigned. So while they're being disassembled from "Clone Wars" work...some of them are undoubtedly being reassigned to work on this new series, whatever it may be.

13. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

The show was originally supposed to be 100 episodes, and they made more than that... so I wouldn't take them ending the show to be a sign of the Coming Star Wars Apocalypse. I would have liked more, but they did accomplish what they set out to do.

14. Booji

Booji Commodore Premium Member

I agree 100% with Mr Light. We got 100 eps, plus whatever we get from season 6. That is more than enough Clone Wars and you can only do so much in the time between AOTC and ROTS. What Admiral Young reiterated is also important. For anyone to say Disney hates The Clone Wars and its fans is the epitome of emo and and not based in reality what-so-ever. Give me a break...

15. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

In some ways, perhaps. In other ways, not so much. The show's proven itself unwilling or incapable when it comes to consistency with the EU, even going so far as to rip off EU plotlines and in the process dump books less than three years old out of continuity. It even pushes things with film continuity, if we consider things like the near-constant Anakin vs. Dooku and Obi-Wan vs. Grievous battles. It's also at least partly responsible for the problem of Jedi who seem to constantly forget that they have the Force.

Yooouuu cannot say filth flarn filth flarn filth! :p

16. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I'm not familiar with Quinlos Vos but didn't his single appearance in the show completely fly in the face of his comic book continuity?

17. Stephen!

Stephen! Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Not entirely. "Witches of the Mist" acknowledges the EU by dealing with the Iridonia plothole.

Maul's robotic legs being based on the original comic appearance. Although that probably doesn't count since that story doesn't seem to be canon in the first place.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/ShoutOut/StarWarsTheCloneWars

In "Storm over Ryloth" Ahsoka used Marg Sabl maneuver, on a droid commander to devastating effect. It's the same maneuver Grand Admiral Thrawn used on an Elomin commander's taskforce.

18. Booji

Booji Commodore Premium Member

Why should The Clone Wars have any consistency with the EU? I think I can safely say most viewers of The Clone Wars don't show the first thing about the EU, so it doesn't impact them at all. Personally, i stopped reading any EU stuff over 10 years ago because it was a bunch of poop. The less EU, the better

19. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Despite all the past rhetoric about the EU being on some kind of "canon level" or whatever, the fact is that it's just like any other tie-in material to any other franchise -- it's a supplement to the real thing, and the makers of the real thing are free to draw on its ideas or disregard them as they see fit. So some parts may be acknowledged and embraced if they serve the purposes of the creators of new canon, while other parts will be ignored or discarded if they get in the way.

For that matter, canon itself is subject to being reinterpreted or ignored, which is why it's such a mistake to confuse "canon" with "continuity." The prequel trilogy contains a lot of things that are difficult to reconcile with the original trilogy, as many SW fans probably know better than I do.

20. EnsignRicky

EnsignRicky Commodore Commodore

When Episode VII comes out, Star Wars may initiate a new genre trend: The expanded universe reboot.

I just blew my mind.