Star Wars May the Fourth Announcement?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, Apr 30, 2011.

1. Capt_Pickirk

Capt_Pickirk Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The cover art has been released...

[​IMG]

UG-ER-LY

[​IMG]

Lame

[​IMG]

This wouldn't be so bad if our MAIN HEROES weren't shoved into the corner...

Those were naff, I can do a way better job...

[​IMG]

You're welcome ;)

2. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

I actually like the ones used for the individual trilogies. As for the one for the complete set, it's a nice image, but I wouldn't have chosen it for the cover image of the complete Star Wars saga.

3. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Using Yoda as the dominant image for the PT set is rather strange. I would have used an image of Anakin, to go with the image of Vader for the OT set.

4. Argus Skyhawk

Argus Skyhawk Commodore Commodore

That's the only announcement that might have made me excited. I wouldn't mind the existence of the Special Editions if restored, anamorphic releases of the Original Editions came out too.

5. DeafPoet

DeafPoet Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I actually don't own any of these on DVD. I've just got my trusty VHS tapes. It sucks that the originals won't be included but that's never going to happen anyway. I might actually just get it over with and give Lucas my money finally.

6. Garak

Garak Cruisin' Premium Member

Make sure everyone goes out and buys these, George Lucas really needs the money.

7. OmahaStar

OmahaStar Disrespectful of his betters Admiral

That's it, huh? The blu ray announcement that we already knew about weeks ago? That's a bit underdramatic, wouldn't you say?

8. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Kind of what was expected though. I have to agree the cover art sucks...I kind of like the episode one cover though.

9. milo bloom

milo bloom Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The varied and beautiful Chicagoland suburbs.
    One of the other changes for the 2004 DVDs was that some of the matte work in ROTJ was (finally!) fixed, such as Luke vs the Rancor or when Lando and Han are talking in front of the Falcon. These shots look much better.

10. N-121973

N-121973 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

11. Whofan

Whofan Fleet Captain

I actually kind of like the complete saga art, but the individual trilogy artwork looks like a poor photoshop fan poster.

Using Yoda is also weird. Kind of reminds me of the 1994 box set which had Yoda on ROTJ (Actually the Emperor might have made more thematic sense for that, since ANH and ESB used Vader and the Stormtrooper), although he doesn't really play a huge part in the film.

I kind of miss the days when Star Wars had painted poster artwork on the home videos and also the Bantam books. Now with a few exceptions it's all photos.

12. milo bloom

milo bloom Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The varied and beautiful Chicagoland suburbs.
    84 minutes on the 501st? I mean, no offense to the members, they do charity work, yadda yadda whatever, I just...don't care. I especially don't care to see 84 minutes of it taking up space on a set that could have so much more.

And I like all three cover arts.

13. Worf2DS9

Worf2DS9 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Will this edition of TPM finally have the CG Yoda in the Jedi Council scenes? I remember seeing footage of that in one of the documentaries on the last DVD box set, but at that time it was still that lame muppet in the actual movie.

14. Capt_Pickirk

Capt_Pickirk Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

[​IMG]
    Gosh Lucasfilm, learn to spell!

So lets break this down...

Special Features:

• DISC ONE – STAR WARS: EPISODE I THE PHANTOM MENACE
      • Audio Commentary with George Lucas, Rick McCallum, Ben Burtt, Rob Coleman, John Knoll, Dennis Muren and Scott Squires
      • ALREADY RELEASED ON DVD
      • Audio Commentary from Archival Interviews with Cast and Crew
      • WHO CARES?
    • DISC TWO – STAR WARS: EPISODE II ATTACK OF THE CLONES
      • Audio Commentary with George Lucas, Rick McCallum, Ben Burtt, Rob Coleman, Pablo Helman, John Knoll and Ben Snow
      • WHO CARES?
    • DISC THREE – STAR WARS: EPISODE III REVENGE OF THE SITH
      • Audio Commentary with George Lucas, Rick McCallum, Rob Coleman, John Knoll and Roger Guyett
      • WHO CARES?
    • DISC FOUR – STAR WARS: EPISODE IV A NEW HOPE
      • Audio Commentary with George Lucas, Carrie Fisher, Ben Burtt and Dennis Muren
      • ALREADY RELEASE ON DVD
      • INTERESTING, BUT PROBABLY NOTHING TO WRITE HOME ABOUT
    • DISC FIVE – STAR WARS: EPISODE V THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK
      • Audio Commentary with George Lucas, Irvin Kershner, Carrie Fisher, Ben Burtt and Dennis Muren
      • SAME
      • SAME
    • DISC SIX – STAR WARS: EPISODE VI RETURN OF THE JEDI
      • Audio Commentary with George Lucas, Carrie Fisher, Ben Burtt and Dennis Muren
      • SAME
      • SAME
    • DISC SEVEN – NEW! STAR WARS ARCHIVES: EPISODES I-III
      • Including: deleted, extended and alternate scenes; prop, maquette and costume turnarounds; matte paintings and concept art; supplementary interviews with cast and crew; a flythrough of the Lucasfilm Archives and more
      • I'M SURE IT'S ALL THE SAME FROM THE DVD RELEASES
    • DISC EIGHT – NEW! STAR WARS ARCHIVES: EPISODES IV-VI
      • Including: deleted, extended and alternate scenes; prop, maquette and costume turnarounds; matte paintings and concept art; supplementary interviews with cast and crew; and more
      • THIS IS WHAT EVERYONE IS WANTING... QUALITY??? HOW MANY???? WHO KNOWS?
    • DISC NINE – THE STAR WARS DOCUMENTARIES
      • NEW! Star Warriors (2007, Color, Apx. 84 Minutes) – Some Star Wars fans want to collect action figures...these fans want to be action figures! A tribute to the 501st Legion, a global organization of Star Wars costume enthusiasts, this insightful documentary shows how the super-fan club promotes interest in the films through charity and volunteer work at fundraisers and high-profile special events around the world.
      • REALLY? DOES ANYONE REALLY CARE ABOUT THIS?
      • NEW! A Conversation with the Masters: The Empire Strikes Back 30 Years Later (2010, Color, Apx. 25 Minutes) – George Lucas, Irvin Kershner, Lawrence Kasdan and John Williams look back on the making of The Empire Strikes Back in this in-depth retrospective from Lucasfilm created to help commemorate the 30th anniversary of the movie. The masters discuss and reminisce about one of the most beloved films of all time.
      • THIS SOUNDS COOL, BUT HOW COOL CAN IT BE? A WHOLE 25 MIN. OF PEOPLE TELLING US HOW GREAT GEORGE IS?
      • NEW! Star Wars Spoofs (2011, Color, Apx. 91 Minutes) – The farce is strong with this one! Enjoy a hilarious collection of Star Wars spoofs and parodies that have been created over the years, including outrageous clips from Family Guy, The Simpsons, How I Met Your Mother and more — and don’t miss “Weird Al” Yankovic’s one-of-a-kind music video tribute to The Phantom Menace!
      • 91 MIN OF SPOOFS? ENOUGH IS ENOUGH
      • The Making of Star Wars (1977, Color, Apx. 49 Minutes) – Learn the incredible behind-the-scenes story of how the original Star Wars movie was brought to the big screen in this fascinating documentary hosted by C-3PO and R2-D2. Includes interviews with George Lucas and appearances by Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher.
      • PROBABLY LASERDISC MASTERS, SEEN IT, OWN IT ALREADY.
      • The Empire Strikes Back: SPFX (1980, Color, Apx. 48 Minutes) – Learn the secrets of making movies in a galaxy far, far away. Hosted by Mark Hamill, this revealing documentary offers behind-the-scenes glimpses into the amazing special effects that transformed George Lucas’ vision for Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back into reality!
      • SEE ABOVE
      • Classic Creatures: Return of the Jedi (1983, Color, Apx. 48 Minutes) – Go behind the scenes — and into the costumes — as production footage from Return of the Jedi is interspersed with vintage monster movie clips in this in-depth exploration of the painstaking techniques utilized by George Lucas to create the classic creatures and characters seen in the film. Hosted and narrated by Carrie Fisher and Billie Dee Williams.
      • SEE ABOVE
      • Anatomy of a Dewback (1997, Color, Apx. 26 Minutes) – See how some of the special effects in Star Wars became even more special two decades later! George Lucas explains and demonstrates how his team transformed the original dewback creatures from immovable rubber puppets (in the original 1977 release) to seemingly living, breathing creatures for the Star Wars 1997 Special Edition update.
      • REALLY? COME ON! WATCHED IT IN '97 HAVE NO DESIRE TO WATCH AGAIN. AND IF I DO, ITS ON THE OFFICIAL SITE.
      • Star Wars Tech (2007, Color, Apx. 46 Minutes) – Exploring the technical aspects of Star Wars vehicles, weapons and gadgetry, Star Wars Tech consults leading scientists in the fields of physics, prosthetics, lasers, engineering and astronomy to examine the plausibility of Star Wars technology based on science as we know it today.
      • SOUNDS INTERESTING. BUT AGAIN, PROBABLY 46 MINUTES OF "GEORGE IS SO AMAZING"

Well, Nothing of value here. Thank you, George. Thank you... for saving me money.

15. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

I've always loved Star Wars...but not that much!
    :crazy:

16. OmahaStar

OmahaStar Disrespectful of his betters Admiral

So, have you put in your pre-order yet, Capt_Pickirk? I couldn't tell, your post is so ambiguous ... You really should learn to express your feelings. ;)

17. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I'd like to own STAR WARS at some point, but this set sure is underwhelming. I realize we'll never see the theatrical versions ever again (outside of some piss-poor Laserdisc transfers), but they're not even porting over "Empire of Dreams?"

I think I'll save my money so I can buy the two extensive making of books that have been published covering STAR WARS and THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK instead.

18. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ The last DVD version to come out in 2006, where the covers match the prequel trilogy covers, have both the original and the updated versions on them.

19. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I'm well aware. Those are the versions with the piss-poor Laserdisc transfers that I mentioned.

20. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

They should have gone nuts with it...original trilogy theatrical, special editions (DVD release), and uber edition with new effects and CGI Yoda for Episode I. Just go nuts.

I remember how happy I was to pick up the letterbox version of the OT on VHS. I'd only ever seen the films in pan and scan.