Star Wars: Episode VII: The Nerd Rage Awakens

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by cooleddie74, Jan 13, 2014.

1. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: New Casting and Story Rumors re: EPISODE VII

What the on-screen evidence for that? I remember a scene in the last one where a load of those guys get shot in the back? ;)

2. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

I think it's odd and slightly unimaginative to bring back Palpatine and particularly odd not to have McDiarmud play him. So I hope this turns out not to be true. I'd prefer there to be a new character who has taken the title Emperor.

3. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant

One can be the best-trained and skilled in any profession and still be blind as a bat, utterly surprised or gullible. ;) Best-trained, of course, doesn't mean perfection.

4. Masiral

Masiral Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

They were shot in the back by their own soldiers, who were just following orders, so there was no hint of deceit from them in the Force.

5. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Would they have been able to shot Jack Reacher in the back? The answer is no.

There is nothing more to discuss.

6. Iamnotspock

Iamnotspock Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

"I'm a pilot, you know, and some day I'm gonna fly away from this place!"

"Master Yoda said I should be mindful of the future..."

"I will train Anakin. Without the approval of the Council if I must."

From a certain point of view. ;)

7. cooleddie74

Also, post-Episode I it was established that brand new child initiates into the Jedi Order first train with Yoda as members of groups such as the Bear Clan up until a certain point or age, then they're passed off to become the Padawans of Masters. My view is that Obi-Wan as a small boy was indeed trained by Yoda in the Jedi Temple but when that specific level of training ended he was presented to Qui-Gon Jinn to become his apprentice and thus complete Obi-Wan's training and transition to full Knighthood.

Thus, Obi-Wan's ghostly message to Luke on Hoth was correct. Yoda did instruct him. Just not for his entire climb towards becoming a full Jedi Knight.

8. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

True, but somehow it still feels a little too easy to have most of the Jedi simply gunned down like that. I realize they're not all-powerful or all-knowing, but I still would have liked to see them put up more of a fight than they did.

When Obi-Wan talks of Vader hunting down and destroying the Jedi, I didn't think he was referring to the just the few stragglers who hadn't already been picked off by Palpatine's troops.

9. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

He said that Vader helped the Empire do it, not that he did it all by himself.

10. cooleddie74

Yeah, I never believed Vader hunted down all the remaining Jedi all by himself or even with some Stormtroopers. Chasing down and erradicating the possibly hundreds of Jedi who managed to survive and escape the day when Order 66 was transmitted would require more than one Sith Lord in a mechanical life-support suit and some Imperial troops.

11. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

And now it looks like we're going back, on an even weaker premise!

12. Doctorwhovian

Doctorwhovian Fleet Captain

Rumors have it that Daniel Craig will have a cameo in the film.

Star Wars cameos are nothing that new but they're mostly by the production staff (Ben Burtt and Rick McCallum for instance are very visible at the end of TPM, and of course George himself played blue-skinned Baron Papanoida in ROTS. On the OT side you have Ralph McQuarrie as a Rebel officer on Hoth and Richard Marquand as a Walker pilot); I don't think a big star from another franchise has been in a cameo in any of the films

(Although some actors with small parts became famous after them-John Ratzenberger and Keira Knightley for example).

13. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Mark Ruffalo supposedly wrote to Rian Johnson saying that he'd be up for a part in EP VIII.

14. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Given the level of corruption in the bureaucratic quagmire that was the senate, I imagine he must have looked downright inoffensive by comparison. Plus no doubt he'd been quietly moving things behind the scenes as Darth Sidious for years prior.

Whomever got him the nomination in the first place probably thought Palpatine was just some dupe or mouthpiece. Indeed, Sidious probably encouraged this view. While the execution in the films could have been better, they are at least consistent in that Palpatine never makes an overt play for power.

He didn't put himself forward for he Chancellorship, he was nominated and voted in. He didn't ask for emergency powers that essentially made him a dictator, they were granted to him by the senate (thanks for that Jar Jar! ;) ) and he didn't declare himself Emperor out of greed, but he was "forced" into re-organizing the Republic after an "attempted Rebellion" and failed assassination by the Jedi.

15. davejames

Well he was nominated for Chancellor after "innocently" suggesting to Padme that the previous Chancellor couldn't be relied on and needed to be replaced. And the fact these emergency war powers just so happened to give him the power of a dictator should have been a pretty big clue to the Jedi as well.

I will agree a lot of this was really well thought out by Lucas, but it still requires the Jedi to be a lot thicker and slower than I'd prefer them to be.

16. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

Okay, this is amazing.

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3C7lUfVIOa4[/yt]

17. davejames

Yeah, I just saw that. Holy crap.

18. Buck Bokai

Buck Bokai Lieutenant Red Shirt

Was coming to post about that. Absolutely gets you in the feels, so awesome to see the Falcon again!

19. davejames

Yup, I'd say JJ has definitely won this little contest. I could just watch this all day.

20. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

It's really incredible that they re-built the Falcon like that. That little bit of footage got me so excited.