Star Wars: Episode VII: The Nerd Rage Awakens

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by cooleddie74, Jan 13, 2014.

1. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: New Casting and Story Rumors re: EPISODE VII

I can only imagine how cool it would be to be an extra on that set right now, with two full-sized X-wings and the Falcon all parked together. And oh yeah, you get to see Ford as Han Solo again on Monday.

2. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

I like the color scheme of the black X-Wing. Its different from what we've seen on screen, and a black X-Wing kind of reminds me of a jedi StealthX (actual spelling) from the EU

3. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant

Whatever some fans may think about the Disney buyout and J.J. directing the new film, it's all made possible the sight of Han Solo once again standing next to and inside the Millennium Falcon, and that all by itself is worth it.

4. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

You are so right.

5. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Those new Luke rumors definitely sound alot better than the old ones.
    And I definitely agree with you guys about loving seeing all of these real sets and stuff.

6. I am not Spock

I am not Spock Commodore Commodore

I wouldn't be against Ewan Macgregor, Liam Neeson, or even Hayden appearing as Force ghosts. It would make sense, story wise.

7. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

It's rumoured that they want to distance these movies from the PT as much as possible and thus cameos or returns from characters/actors or even plotlines (e.g. midichlorians) largely associated with the Prequels aren't to be expected. Having said that, there's been talk this week of a solo movie focussing on Obi-Wan (to tie in with the Rebels animated series), so who knows, anything is possible.

8. AgentCoop

AgentCoop Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

A Tatooine-based Obi-Wan movie set between Episodes III and IV, starring Ewan McGregor with perhaps a cameo by Liam Neeson as Qui-Gon's ghost has the potential to be amazing.

9. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah it'd be cool to see McGregor's Obi-Wan in some kind of adventure that didn't involve the Clone Wars.

10. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Or diners.

11. Captaindemotion

I think they'd need to leave Tattooine for it to be exciting. Remember that this is the place of which Luke said "if there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

I always liked the idea that Obi-Wan kept in touch with the Rebels and Bail Organa over the years, doing covert missions for them and that's why Princess Leia was trying to make contact with him at the start of ANH.

12. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

It would have to be stuff that Leia didn't know about or that didn't involve Bail, because in the message R2 carried she said, "Years ago, you served my father in the Clone Wars," as if Kenobi and Bail hadn't seen each other since.

13. Captaindemotion

True, I'd forgotten that. But then again, it's not beyond the realms of possibility that she only was told what she needs to know, which would be true of many a rebel group or cell.

Anyway, this wouldn't be the first time that dialogue in the OT didn't really fit with a later film. Besides which, it's not like we really saw Obi-Wan serving under Bail in the Prequels anyway.

14. CorporalCaptain

:lol: Yeppers.

15. cooleddie74

There may have been an episode of The Clone Wars where Senator Organa gave orders to and dispatched Obi-Wan on a particular assignment, but right now I'm forgetting it. In any case, there was enough time during the length of the wars (three-plus years) for Obi-Wan to have served Bail in some capacity and on some mission for himself, Alderaan or the wider Republic.

16. CorporalCaptain

^ That's true, though.

Also, the Jedi served the Republic, the Senate governed the Republic, and Bail was a Senator.

<insert certain point of view meme here>

17. Captaindemotion

Bottom line is, though, it's a throwaway line said by a young woman under pressure, talking about events which happened before she was born. It's hardly conclusive and binding as to what Obi-Wan got up to in the intervening years.

Especially not when you consider how lines like 'when I met him, he was already a great pilot' or 'Yoda, the Jedi master who trained me', or 'I took it on myself to train him' didn't really tally up too strictly with what we later saw onscreen.

18. CorporalCaptain

A little bit of continuity creep on minor points doesn't bother me.

19. cooleddie74

Although the "already a great pilot" does match what we saw on-screen if you recall that boy Anakin was an exceptionally gifted, Force-sensitive Podracer pilot at the time Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon visited Tatooine (who then graduated to fly Jedi Starfighters and other Republic spacecraft with similar or even greater skill and ease). And "took it upon myself to train him" is indeed what Obi-Wan does when he follows his dying Master's wishes in the Theed generator complex on Naboo and trains Anakin to become a Jedi.

Maybe it's that classic "from a certain point of view" qualifier we're dealing with, but those two statements by Spirit Obi-Wan in Return of the Jedi are indeed true.

20. Captaindemotion

^yeah, I'd go along with that but my point is really that Obi-Wan being described as serving Bail in the CW doesn't preclude him having worked for the rebellion too.