Star Wars Dark Horse comics disscussion and comments

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by timothy, Jun 1, 2011.

1. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Will the SW comics license move to Marvel eventually?

2. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

It's a little too early to know that. In the meantime, read the two links Turtletrekker posted in his previous posts.

3. Drago-Kazov

Drago-Kazov Fleet Captain

This will probably the end of the shared continuity, it was nice why it lasted. I actually feel depressed. Seriously, is this normal?

4. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Being depressed about SW is the new normal.

5. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I gave it a real good skimming. I don't think you will be disappointed.

6. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

LUCAS: "I've left pretty explicit instructions for there not to be any more features. There will definitely be no Episodes VII–IX. That's because there isn't any story. I mean, I never thought of anything. And now there have been novels about the events after Episode VI, which isn't at all what I would have done with it. The Star Wars story is really the tragedy of Darth Vader. That is the story. Once Vader dies, he doesn't come back to life, the Emperor doesn't get cloned and Luke doesn't get married..."

:borg:

7. Set Harth

God, what a bullshitter. :rolleyes:

8. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nah.

I mean, major events from the Expanded Universe were contradicted by the prequel films - from the idea of the Republic not having major wars to the absence of married Jedi and so on. And then the new Clone Wars TV series also at Lucas' behest has contradicted plot elements normally considered canon.

Every time the EU has either quietly dropped the contradicting material and/or provided a rationalisation (Russan Reformation is my preferred example). We'll see more of the same happen again.

And of course new Star Wars media will mean a new glut of EU content around that media. These movies will inevitably spawn videogames, comic books and novelizations.

9. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

No. Most people don't get depressed about the speculation regarding fictional universes.
    :rofl:
    But in the event that Marvel gets the Star Wars comics license back--and that's not necessarily an automatic given, IMO--the worst-case scenario is the creation of a new shared continuity. Marvel knows what Dark Horse has done with Star Wars, and I think the odds are good that Marvel would want to duplicate that. Marvel did go nine years and more than a hundred consecutive issues the last time they had the license.

10. Drago-Kazov

The quality compared to DH sucks.

I doubt that. I mean they could major events right into the time let's say the Thrawn trilogy. They could kill characters, make up new characters with sigificaNT ROLES, make up new powers and factions which cannot just dissapear no matter how you try to retcon it. What if they decide to give Luke a son earlier for example or her wife not being Mara Jade?

11. Kegg

I don't see why you would. Even if the new trilogy contradicts entire chunks of the EU, and that seems pretty probable, there's basically no way it will contradict all of it.

So throwing up some rationalisations to save some parts while decanonizing other parts seems plausible.

They've already decided that the distinction that the Thrawn trilogy makes regarding 'dark Jedi' is meaningless and that what little it says about the Clone Wars is inaccurate.

Also remember when Jester Mereel was Boba Fett's real name, and he wasn't a Mandalorian just a guy who wore Mandalorian armour? Or Han Solo's past as a stormtrooper. Hell, the entire approach to Jedi relationships in the EU - including the idea of Luke marrying at all - got implicitly shafted in Attack of the Clones. This stuff goes by the wayside.

12. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

That's a matter of opinion.

13. Set Harth

The prequels only said that the Republic hadn't had a major war in the last millennium. That didn't contradict any previously existing EU events because the EU's major wars were in earlier eras.

IIRC he was from Concord Dawn ( is that close enough? ), and now Jango is from Concord Dawn, and thus Boba is a clone of a guy from Concord Dawn. Not too long ago we had a TCW episode saying Jango wasn't a Mandalorian.

As far as I know, Han as former Imperial cadet is still canon; it was in Blood and Honor. And of course the prequels had nothing whatsoever to say about this.

14. Drago-Kazov

There is a big chance that the whole Post ROTJ EU will get nuked, thats a good emough reason for meto find an another consistent universe.

DH amde some unique comics. Marvel focused on milking the big 3.

These things can be and were retconned in a way that made sense. Try to retcon Luke being married in 6ABY or having a kid in 10ABY. You cannot retcon it in a way that it would not look completly implausible.

15. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

So if Marvel starts publishing Star Wars comics again in the near future, when should we be expecting Spider-Man and Wolverine to show up? :p

16. Drago-Kazov

It would not suprize me.

17. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

All fans should have a Jedi style funeral pyre of all their EU books and comics. Maybe it will return as a Force Ghost. Of course only you will see it.

18. Kegg

Jango not Mandalorian, kind of full circle there. As I recall the first episode with Mandalorians on that show depicting them as pacifists caused bit of a stir and, IIRC, contradicted how Karen Traviss was handling them in her novels (and she left SW writing not long thereafter).

And that's still canon because the EU decided that maybe the stormtroopers aren't all clonetroopers because that makes handling the canon a lot easier as no pre-AOTC works suggested they were an army of clones.

But yeah. This issue with flexible canon has happened before and it's why Lucasfilm has its tiered canon system.

19. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

I don't recall the EU ever establishing that Han had been a stormtrooper. He was trained as a TIE starfighter pilot, then was in charge of a Wookiee construction detail on Coruscant for a very brief time before being court-martialed.

20. Drago-Kazov

Kegg posted:
    That could had been retconed. Traviss was a mando worshipper and the franchise is better of without her.