Star Wars Dark Horse comics disscussion and comments

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by timothy, Jun 1, 2011.

1. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Now I'm by no means an expert on the EU (far from it) but from what I've gathered from the KotOR games and the Clone Wars series is that there's a difference between being a Mandalorian and a "Mandalorian", at least by the time of the films.

On the one hand you have the Mandalorians who are a quasi-nomadic warrior culture, big on personal honour, glory in battle and mercenary work. IIRC these aren't any particular species as there's a cultural tradition of adopting just about anyone they deem worth (i.e. can throw a punch and/or shoot straight.)

On the other hand there's the people who actually live on Mandalore who--according to TCW--appear to be trying to shake their millennia old reputation and heritage as a warrior culture in order to join the Alderanian pacifists' club.

Again, I'm not clear on the details, but I think between the Clone Wars and the rise of the Empire both these groups were put through the grinder so by the post-RotJ period they'd been--for better or worse--reunified.

2. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Which, obviously, is exactly the opposite of how Traviss wrote her Mandalorians prior to the Clone Wars series, and she wrote her Mandalorians as existing during the time of that war (and even incoporating Mandalorian culture into the Republic army because Jango Fett).

My point was not a canon discussion of what Mandalorian means right now and more a reminder that it's been retconned a couple of times, and in this case because the TV series is 'more canon' than comic books or novels.

3. Drago-Kazov

Drago-Kazov Fleet Captain

It's not unlikely that there were rogue mando clans roaming the galaxy.

4. Kegg

How very Ruusan Reformation of you.

5. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

By virtue of being closer to the original source (Lucas). If previous writers had been more careful and read the stuff he had a hand in (novels and official club material), it never states that Fett was part of the mandalorians (or earlier the Imperial Shocktroopers), but always that he just wore the armor.

6. Drago-Kazov

What the stang is that suposed to mean?

7. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

I wouldn't worry about it too much; just about everything written about the pre-ANH era has probably had to be "adjusted" to fit in with the prequels. Plus it's not like every novel, comic and game have been 100% consistent with each other even before that.

Plus, like I said, having an pacifist Mandalorian state doesn't preclude the existence of nomadic bands of Mandalorian traditionalists. It's a big galaxy.;)

8. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

9. Kegg

Oh you. ;)

I explained that earlier in this thread, but I basically mean it's a rationalisation to fit together two seemingly opposite bits of canon. Which in Star Wars terms is exactly what the Ruusan Reformation is, clearing up some inconsistencies with pre-TPM EU and an offhand line TPM has about the Republic.

We're gonna see a lot of Ruusan Reformation-esque handwaving in our future, folks.
    Right. But the context of me using these examples was to discuss the fact that no, the EU is not dead. The EU will have to adjust in reaction to these new movies and they may decanonize chunks of it, but all of that has happened before (and will happen again). It's not that I'm bothered about the Mandalorians as such.

10. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Dark Horse plans on doing the exact same thing now with their upcoming new ongoing series simply called "Star Wars."

But one thing to take into consideration is that when Marvel had the license, the big 3 were the focus as the original trilogy was still being made at the time. It's like blaming DC Comics for milking Kirk, Spock, and McCoy when they had the original Star Trek license prior to TNG's debut.

11. Hound of UIster

That is a blatant lie. DH has only one book on the Big 3, the Brian Wood one. Most of their efforts has been on side books such as Legacy/Dawn of the Jedi/Agent of the Empire/Knight Errant/Kotor/Crimson Empire.

12. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Exactly. This was WAAAY pre-EU. Marvel's Star Wars was a movie tie-in produced at the same time as the movies. They were meant to promote the movies and their characters. I highly doubt that Lucas would have green-lighted a comic that didn't focus on the main cast at that time.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2012
  13. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Nope. It's the blatant truth.
    It's no different from Marvel's book that focused on the Big 3. The only thing you can accuse Marvel of is only having one ongoing Star Wars title based off the movies at the time rather than lots of minis and one-shots.

14. Drago-Kazov

I bet the new big 3 comic will be superior. No more horny rabits and ridiculous penis monsters.

15. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

There's also the minor problem of Traviss depicting all of the planet Mandalore as lacking in the type of urbanized cities that we see on Mandalore in TCW.

16. Hound of UIster

That wasn't Traviss. She was just following the original Marvel Comics that had Mandalore being low tech.

[LEFT]That is not true actually. The idea of them being clones was suggested in 1981 in the Star Wars Compendium 2.[/LEFT]

17. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Maybe even earlier; I've heard it appeared in a 1978 source. I remember reading it in some kind of official magazine back in the old days, but whether this was 1978 or later I can't remember.

18. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

Ah, okay, thanks for the correction. I'm unfamiliar with most material that pre-dates the "modern" EU.

19. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

To be fair, the city seen in TCW does look like it's on it's own, smack in the middle of some kind huge wasteland. For all we know, that's the only large city on the planet and just about everywhere else is exactly as primitive as advertised...but then no culture that produces rocket packs, wrist mounted flame throwers and orbital diving wardroid mounts can be entierly non-industrialised, no? ;)

20. Drago-Kazov

This was retconed by the Atlas.