Star Wars: Clone Wars..are you in or out?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Flying Spaghetti Monster, Oct 1, 2008.

1. Brian

Brian Vice Admiral Admiral

It's interesting how many people criticize Lucas for aiming "new" Star Wars at kids, and seem to think the OT was for adults. Guess what, most of you weren't adults when the OT hooked you, and it was aimed at you. Kids. Think all those toys from 1977 were bought by or for 30- or 40-somethings?

Hate the comic relief robots? You must have really hated C-3PO and R2-D2 in the OT, then.

2. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

AMEN!!!!!!!:techman:

Not to mention all the "Lucas ruined my Star Wars!" It was never your Star Wars to begin with.

3. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Seconded.

The same sort of fanboy that's been whining and moaning that "Lucas raped my childhood" is what tends to hold all the good franchises back when producers listen to them. It's the whiny little bitches that lead writers into writing the safe (aka, fan centric) garbage collection of novels that is the Star Wars expanded universe.

4. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

That explains the fans' poor reception of Legacy of the Force.

5. exodus

Exactly.:techman:

6. Samuel T. Cogley

Samuel T. Cogley Vice Admiral Admiral

Comic relief robots are fine. But not as the bulk of the antagonist's army. How are we supposed to take Grievous, Dooku, et al seriously when they are surounded by a bunch of disposable, bumbling goofballs?

7. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

I found it kind of creepy how they had turned their wacky droid antics up to 11, and also turned up their sociopathic murderousness to 11. There's something downright subversive about comic-relief cartoon characters cracking jokes while methodically executing helpless survivors.

Come to think of it, I got the same sort of very uncomfortable laughter in the season finale of Doctor Who, where the Daleks had been murderin' up a storm, and then the German Dalek joke suddenly came out of nowhere. I was like, "Is it okay to laugh at this?"

8. exodus

That's why Clones are considered better.

9. Samuel T. Cogley

"Better" in relation to what?

From a dramatic standpoint, neither are very good.

10. Samuel T. Cogley

:lol: Agreed. Although, I'm not sure that's what they were going for.

I'll give them accidental creepiness. It's a start.

11. exodus

It goes back to what Obi-Wan said in the prequels about Droids not being able to think, hence why the Droids in Clone Wars keep repeating: "It's my programming." Because Battle Droids don't think, they can't adapt to situation changes a thinking Clone can. Clones are only designed to be obedient to the Republic, however because they can think, they can also adapt and learn from any situation.

12. Samuel T. Cogley

And you speak to their strategic difference, as a matter of internal consistency. I take no issue with that.

I speak to whether they make dramatic villains, which in my opinion, they do not.

13. exodus

Droids & Stormtroopers have never been dramatic villians in any Star Wars, they're only supporting characters or obsticles to over come. I don't see them so far being used any differently in Clone Wars. The dramatic villians have always been "human" characters like Ventress & Dooku. Even in the OT, the dramtic villian was Vader, never his troops. All we've ever seen Clone/Stromtroopers & Battle Droids do is get shot and die. They aren't meant to be dramatic villians. Besides, the only Droids that ever offered the Jedi any challenge are Destroyer Droids. So far no Jedi can defeat them without help.

14. Samuel T. Cogley

It's true that Stormtroopers did little to help the dramatic tension, at least as far as any character development might have helped in that regard. But they didn't hurt it, either.

The Droids, on the other hand, are silly idiots, which undercuts both their villain status and the credibility of their masters, who have inexplicably alligned themself with such nonsense.

15. Brian

Brian Vice Admiral Admiral

As much as I can overlook some amount of droid antics, I have to admit I don't like it either. The battle droids were supposedly mindless. They needed the control ship to function. Then why on earth do they have personalities and the capability to make snarky comments?

Speaking of the control ship, have we seen one of those recently? I guess they got lost along the plot point highway.

16. Barbados Slim

Barbados Slim Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I find the show fun Friday night sci-fi fair that goes along with my Stargate. I really like the emphasis on character development for the clone troopers but I also am annoyed by the battle droids brand of "comedy."

17. Chris227

Chris227 Lieutenant Commander

The Battle droid/control ship thing has always been kind of weird. According to most of the guide books, they're all controlled by the same computer and don't have any real autonomy...

It might have something to do with the CLONES deleted scene (Only available online and not on the DVD) that revealed that Droids are no longer tied to the command ship, and have internal back-ups now or something.

Although Stormtroopers were often used for comic relief in the original films, it wasn't the kind of goofy antics the Droids seem to have in the prequels. The only droids that weren't really badly used were the Droideka, with the exception of that one scene in TPM where Jar-Jar shoots one in the foot.

18. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

There was a cut scene in AOTC, a bunch of the Jedi Council members stormed the droid control ship to deactivate the battle droids, but once they switch it off, the droids just get right back up again. I forget if it was just there were other "brains" or that they didn't use them anymore.

It's too bad it would have made for a great sequence in the movie. It's particularly a shame since the bit replacing it was Anakin and Padme in the droid foundry, which wasn't that thrilling.

19. exodus

Too make the children laugh.

20. Samuel T. Cogley

:lol:

Good point.

We 'old folks' need to be continually reminded that kids are supposed to be enjoying this, too.

Still, that's no reason they couldn't tighten things up a little bit to make it more enjoyable for all ages. (Let's not pretend that they aren't trying to get us 'old school' fans to watch, too.)