Star Wars: Clone Wars..are you in or out?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Flying Spaghetti Monster, Oct 1, 2008.

1. Garrett

Garrett Vice Admiral Admiral

I tuned in because it was new Star Wars, and came away enjoying both episodes far more than I was expecting. I'm in.

2. Immolatus

Immolatus Captain Captain

my kids love it and they pretend to be jedis all the time. the other nite when it came on I told my six year it was time for bed and he had a fit since star wars was on ( I told him I was just joking with him and he could watch it). they enjoy it and to me that's all that matters :techman:

3. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

It is a really cool show

4. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

I'm out..

I'm clearly not the target demographic nowadays (despite my generation and expecially the one before me making Star Wars this big) but even then there could have been ways to tell stories that appeal to both adults and kids in the same way.

Kids don't need dumbed down antics, simple humor etc (though they love it).. they are entertained by many diverse things and are smarter sometimes than you'd think but Lucas and his staff went for the lowest common denominator (or what the marketing department said would bring in the most money) and that for me means i'm gone.

Sad to say but the OT holds such a big part in my movie life i really feel sorry for what it became. :(

Off to read some EU novels.. the only source for halfway decent SW stories now.

5. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Between the movie and these two episodes, we've got about two hours of the series already. I'll say that this is probably perfect for boys. They get to play soldier and Jedi at the same time. :lol:

That said, because it's designed for that audience, most of the exposition is spent on battles... so, it gets tiring after a while. The Yoda episode was basically a series of escalating threats, culminating with those shield droids. You know that Yoda's in no danger, so if you don't get anything out of watching him kill droids, it's going to be pretty dull for 15 minutes.

But hey, I guess it could be worse... we could have random discussions about the Senate and Anakin/Padme making out.

6. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

The threat is not that Yoda dies, but that he fails in his bargain and the Toydarians join the Confederacy ;)

7. Brian

Brian Vice Admiral Admiral

What do the Toydarians offer the Republic, anyway?

Other than hunks of coral for ginormous seawater aquariums, of course.

8. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

After the unfortunate Gungan massacre in the early months of the war, the Republic is running dangerously low on ethnic stereotypes ;)

9. Garak

Garak Cruisin' Premium Member

Was all that droid chatter really necessary?

10. Basill

Basill Captain Captain

I'm in. Missed the premiere but I saw it re-air last night. Really enjoyed what I saw. Nothing too deep but had a nice feel. Granted I'm going to have to tune out most of the droid yapping but I have to do that with most everything I watch these days. Though, I'll admit the goober droids going out and killing survivors in that debris field were exceptionally creepy given how nonchalant they were about exterminating clones.

11. Tulin

Tulin Vice Admiral Admiral

With the most wonderful man in the world!
    That's me in a nutshell, too.

I said EXACTLY that to my partner at the end of the episode. Watching it, I was actually getting angrier the longer it went.

This thing just has NO soul and NO heart.

Woeful, dreadful faeces that, were I George Lucas, I'd be ashamed to put my name to it.

The man has, without a doubt, clearly lost it.

12. Good Will Riker

Good Will Riker Admiral

That's how I felt about Star Trek from 1999-2009 (Has it really been that long!). :wtf:

13. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

I've enjoyed both episodes so far. I think how they're developing the Clones a bit.

Plo Koon was well done I thought.

14. ElScoob

ElScoob Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Finally got to watch both episodes last night (recorded them since I was out of town all weekend). I quite enjoyed them, especially the first one. That had some really great Yoda moments--possibly some of the best since Empire. I don't mean Yoda leaping around and kicking ass (that was cool too, but the PT gave us plenty of that). We really got to see the wise, in-tune-with-the-universe Zen Yoda that I fell in love with all those years ago. Combine that with ass-kicking Yoda, and you get a pretty solid episode.

The second episode was okay. Plo Koon was nicely done, and Ahsoka didn't annoy me quite as much as she did in the film (honestly, after an Ahsoka-free first half hour, I was mildly dreading the second ep).

I really like that they're developing the clones a bit more. What they're doing here is hardly a patch on, say, the kind of development you get in Karen Traviss' novels... but it's still more than I'd have expected from this series. I dig it.

15. Borg451

Borg451 Captain

anime sucks cock anyway.

16. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

Lucas is a genius.

While his adult fanboys are complaining and too set in their ways to accept change, he targeted the next generation of fan, children. He's recapturing the audience that originally loved Star Wars to begin with.

I frankily think it's the smartest marketing move he could have done.

17. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

I always thought oral sex was a good thing?

18. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

I understand why Lucas is doing it this way nowadays (or did he always and we just gloss over it concerning the OT?) and i am not jealous because from what i hear here those with kids say that the small ones enjoy it much and that's what counts.

I'm just saying that i'm clearly not the audience Lucas aims at (30+ year old male science fiction fan) but if he does he's doing a piss poor job so i'm giving him the benefit of the doubt (i am far more vocal about the PT).

And uhm.. how is he recapturing the audience if he's targeting children? For them it's their first taste of original Star Wars and when i look around the web the almost unanimous opinion is that Clone Wars is.. less good (to put it mildly).

The audience that originally loved Star Wars are people my age and a bit older who for a great part were disappointed in the PT and Clone Wars does little to change that.

Last hope will be the live action series but i'm hesitant at best to put my hopes into that.

19. Samuel T. Cogley

Samuel T. Cogley Vice Admiral Admiral

The first two episodes were fun. I'll watch for a while.

Two things that need to be fixed:

1) The annoying, cutesy, 'evil' droids have never been scary. It's hard to build dramatic tension when your villians consist mainly of a comic-relief army.

2) The 'clones' need to be given more individual personalities. (And the show is actually attempting to do this, so that's good.) There's no audience investment in thousands of clones or irritating droid soldiers. They're easy fodder, sure, but they add nothing to the drama because we don't care about them.

20. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

Manga cock?

I enjoyed the first 2 episodes. Haven't seen the cinema version though.