News Star Wars Andor anticipation thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by Turtletrekker, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

There was prejudice from other officer cadets, but it wasn't species based but class based (or rather perceived class.) Basically to a certain type of person from the Core or Mid-Rim, anyone from the Outer Rim, or Wildspace is thought of as an unsophisticated, uneducated hick at best, or an uncivilized savage at worst. An attitude that seems to have been compounded by the Clone Wars since most of the loyalist worlds were core worlds, and most of the Separatist systems were in the Outer Rim.

That also applied to Vanto and he was human, though as even he points out, Core Worlds are mostly rich, human dominated worlds, while even the wealthier worlds in the Outer Rim and non-human dominated. So in the end, more non-humans than humans do end up on the receiving end of prejudice, even if said prejudice isn't BECAUSE they're non-human. It's a whole correlation vs causation thing.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2022
    Tuskin38 and Mr. Laser Beam like this.
  2. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

Take it from the source of the franchise--the OT: in Star Wars, the Death Star's detention center commander referred to Chewbacca with a stretched-out "thing" slur, as if Wookies were some filthy animal class with no presence in the human Empire. In TESB, note Piett's disdainful gaze at Bossk; while he believed bounty hunters were "scum", he focused that look at Bossk, which built off of the behavior of the detention center commander's attitude from the original film. That, and by the time of the OT, no non-human species work for / live among the Empire at all. That strongly suggests the Imperials are human supremacists, playing into the kind of imagery and martial behavior Lucas borrowed from Nazis.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2022
    Commander Troi and Set Harth like this.
  3. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

The OT displays a lot of casual racism towards Wookiees, even from the heroes. Leia dismissively refers to Chewie as a "walking carpet" and doesn't give him a medal at the ceremony.

Crewman6 and TREK_GOD_1 like this.
  4. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

5. TREK_GOD_1

Yes--and of all of the Rebellion characters, she's consistently disrespectful to Wookies, such as her "I'd rather kiss a Wookie" retort to Han in TESB. Of all of the beings she views as disgusting where kissing is concerned, she picks a non-human species, and one with a member she's supposed to be close to.

Crewman6 and The Wormhole like this.
  6. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Chewie found it funny.

7. TREK_GOD_1

The "I'd rather kiss a Wookie" line was delivered in one of the Echo Base halls, and Chewbacca was not present.

8. Tuskin38

Oh right I was thinking of something else.

9. Tuskin38

Commander Troi and cooleddie74 like this.
  10. Tuskin38

11. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Stellan is a treasure. These two play off each other so well.

Crewman6 and Commander Troi like this.
  12. Crewman6

Crewman6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Looks fantastic. This one single minute has more good writing than the entirety of Jon Favreau's shows put together.

13. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm still not convinced that this show needs to exist, but that clip was pretty good. I can't see the show going below "ok" for me, but I also can't see it being something special. Its the most "This will probably be decent" feeling I've ever had toward any of the D+ shows.

14. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's all a show should be.

15. Tuskin38

No shows need to exist. They just do.

16. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

That the Empire struggles with infiltration in their bases for at least two decades and perhaps three given events in The Mandalorian, they have some overconfidence issues and just the fact that they treat their troops worse than clones. Or perhaps like clones would have been treated had they not been assigned to the Jedi. Just faceless numbers for a task in a uniform.

And to this the ability to essentially bully your way into a base if you look like an officer or have a plausible task to do that might anger the target's supervisor if delayed.

Commander Troi likes this.
  17. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

I feel like this show's gonna be a little light on things like mystical Force planets.

18. Crewman6

Crewman6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Actually, scientists have recently concluded that if Green Acres didn't exist, the universe would have collapsed on itself in February of 1967.

But, yeah, beyond that, no shows actually "need" to exist.

19. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Good. Sometimes I want the "Wars" in the franchise title to focus more on the politics and conflict of the given era and steer away from Jedi and Force users.

20. Jedi Marso

Jedi Marso Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Agree. As much as I love the Jedi and lightsaber fights, some of the best SW stuff out there has nothing to do at all with the Jedi or the Force.