Star Trek TNG Remastered?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Jiraiya, May 9, 2009.

1. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Isn't it funny how the Dr Who restoration team tries to reverse this look, so film looks like video? I wonder how much new software and techniques could actually make this process for STNG remastered easier in the coming years...if "shortcuts" could be used in the process to shorten the time it takes restore the images to film and then new FX inserted for HD.

Under "VidFire" link:

http://www.purpleville.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/rtwebsite/vidfire.htm

2. SoM

SoM Captain Captain

Funny example, since Space 1999 was scanned in HD years ago... (not sure if it was released on disc, but it's certainly been on HD telly).

3. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

Hopefully, if true, they can use it as a proving ground to perfect the technology to make it cheap and efficient. That way they may eventually be persuaded to do DS9 and VOY--I would assume transferring ENT to BR wouldn't be too difficult.

4. swaaye

swaaye Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Hopefully they have it ready for the next level of "TrueHD". Surely a resolution jump will happen again sometime down the road. :D

Keep that 3D crap out of it though.

5. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Interesting, I'm sure its not on Blu-ray...but it must look absolutely awful on HDTV, even if scanned from film..that's the main reason for TOS-R. Someone didn't really care too much about the end product..

RAMA

6. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Ah I can answer my own question...I guess the earliest story included an "up-resing idea". What process/tools did they use for this I wonder.

http://trekmovie.com/2007/07/27/cbs-testing-remastering-tng/

RAMA

7. SoM

SoM Captain Captain

Well, someone who's worked with the DWRT (mentioned above) supervised rhe rescanning & clean-up:
    http://www.bbcstudiosandpostproduction.com/postproduction/case_studies/space_1999.html
    http://www.space1999.net/catacombs/main/pguide/upimhd.html
    http://www.space1999.net/catacombs/main/merc/vmvdvduk2a.html

Oh, and apparently it will be released on Bluray this year: http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=4910

8. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Neat, but again, as with Dr Who they are going for a "video" look even though its available in 35mm film!!! They do seem to be putting a lot of care into the project, and it just goes to show what you can do when the right "raw" material is available in the proper format. I still think the FX portions will look awful if they haven't been re-made...even for a show almost 10 yrs TOS's junior.

EDIT: You know it occurs to me,they prob didn't do a lot of compositing on that show...it might be almost exclusively models with a background...in that case the FX would be fine on that point, but the nature of the models might also be more apparent.

RAMA

Last edited: Aug 25, 2010
  9. darkwing_duck1

darkwing_duck1 Vice Admiral

In the case of Space:1999, wouldn't the fx shots be easier to remaster at high quality due to the fact they did most if not all their FX compositing "in camera"?

10. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

CBS Consumer Products VP confirms work being done

this month there is talk at Star Trek con
    August 9, 2010
    http://trekmovie.com/2010/08/09/veg...-pizza-slicer-kelvin-salt-pepper-shaker-more/

I just noticed RAMA beat me to it.
    http://www.trekbbs.com/showpost.php?p=4333529&postcount=600

Last edited: Aug 27, 2010
  11. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Re: CBS Consumer Products VP confirms work being done

Just watching some scenes earlier tonight in "The Offspring"...I desperately want to see a wider selection of Starship classes in any remastering. Two or three appearances for the Excelsior Class is more than enough...where's the Ambassador, Cheyenne, or New Orleans? They HAVE to get rid of the left to right diagonal flyby shot of the E-D where it looks like a toy. Never ever use that shot again..I want a movie mentality to the shot selection of a remastering.

Ugh:

[​IMG]

The 1000th ship of her class appearing for the 1000th time!!

[​IMG]

RAMA

12. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

13. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

Space: 1999 is easier simply because it's all on film.

Of course, those wires holding up the Eagles that were only sometimes visible on the ol' Zenith are gonna show up like a sore thumb on HD...

14. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

15. Start Wreck

Start Wreck Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That'd be a painfully easy one to do, since most of the footage will already be edited by the time they get to it.

If it's stored properly, film lasts for a very long time.
    I do hope it's been well kept and organised.

ENT is effectively HD-Ready right now. I have no doubt we'll see that on Blu-ray soon, probably before any of the other series.

It will be scanned at 4K resolution, which is about double 1080p, if I recall correctly.

16. jefferiestubes8

resolution for telecine for Blu-ray/HD syndication

Look if TPTB Paramount/CBS Home Video decide to transfer TNG to syndicate on cable in HD, download as rental in HD, download to own in HD, or on Blu-ray in HD they will telecine the film at 1080p.
    Only A-level feature films get a 4k telecine.

Start Wreck you may as well checkout:
    Super Hi-vision (SHV) & Ultra High Definition Video (UHDV), Ultra High Definition Television (UHDTV) [(7680 x 4320) resolution]
    http://trekbbs.com/showpost.php?p=3017865&postcount=82
    as that will be around in 2020-2025.

For CBS Home Video to make money from the Star Trek TNG property they would be wise to have a product to sell in 2012-2013 on Blu-ray or they will lose out on the physical media market as the physical media disc market will fade out in 10 years.

17. jefferiestubes8

BOBW2 viewscreen FX shot - transmission breakups

When watching 'The Best of Both Worlds, Part Two', Ep#401 I noticed at 10:45 in that Admiral Hanson on the viewscreen was broken up.
    Now that looks very standard definition NTSC video to me.
    I'm guessing if there were a TNG-R done on a best-of or full season level the viewscreen shots when there was a data transmission breakup would be changed to a 'digital-video-breakup look' ala ENT or Star Trek XI (2009).

Since all face-to-face communication is digital since the 2000s via digital satellites wouldn't all data transmissions be a digital video signal with a "digital video look" artifacts during data transmission issues? We've all seen DVDs and DirectTV/DishNetwork digital satellite breakup & artifacting during transmission. It looks totally different that this season 4 episode from 1990 set in the 24th century.
    I can't see the 24th century Starfleet reverting back to analog video processing/transmissions of any kind when digital data transmission of voice/audio transmissions became the norm in the 2000s with cable TV, satellite, fiber optics, and the IP video. Those all use digital video in some form.

This would be especially wrong during any video sent during a subspace transmission which by itself permitted the sending of data and messages across interstellar distances faster than the speed of light.
    memory alpha mentions:
    What do you guys think?

Would you want an 'analog-video-artifact-looking' picture breakup on the viewscreen or should it look closer to VOY, and ENT viewscreen digital-video-artifact-looking picture breakups if they were to remaster TNG in HD?

18. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

I'd agree with that. It's a very simple thing to do so I can't see why they wouldnt. Although on the flipside of that, I say you could explain away the "analogue" signal by the Borg jamming the communication, or the fact that the line went dead because the ship had been destroyed, leaving only background radiation to lock on to, which, after all is what white noise is.

19. jefferiestubes8

analog video artifacts on the viewscreen for face-to-face comm.

But with digital video the video codec is decoded digitally and the video artifacts are completely different than analog video artifacts.
    The transmission itself is a digital binary datastream.
    Since the mid-1990s digital videocameras which convert the video signal to digital for processing and before storing or transmission became the standard way video was stored and transmitted. Really

That means all of the video would be a digital signal. There is no way it could breakup with analog video artifacts like in BOBW pt.2 unless done in the analog realm before transmission itself.
    Since the rise of digital monitors and HDTVs we know that using digital connections like HDMI that the video signals stay in the digital realm from say a Blu-ray disc all the way to the monitor itself which does the conversion back to analog.
    One would assume in 300 years from now the monitors would be 'digital' as well and only accept a fiber optic or binary digital signal over (obsolete) copper wiring.

20. swaaye

swaaye Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Clearly, in the future, analog will be revisited. :D