Spoilers Star Trek: The Old School Re-Exemanied

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Doc Mugatu, Mar 31, 2019.

1. Phaser Two

Phaser Two Commodore Premium Member

Good!!!! Scotty is awesome, as that author clearly recognized.

2. Doc Mugatu

Doc Mugatu Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Mea culpa: I originally sourced Wikipedia for the Lee Cronin credit on Space Seed, however, IMDB has it as "Teleplay by Gene Coon." This also fit my recollection that Coon didn't start using the "Lee Cronin" until after he left the series midway second season I believe. Then it was for legal reasons because he was signed to It Takes A Thief as producer and technically was supposed to be exclusive.

3. Doc Mugatu

Mr. Scott was indeed awesome. For a long while he was my favorite and I was disappointed when I first learned James Doohan was not considered a series regular.

4. johnnybear

johnnybear Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Neither was Bones in the first season either!
    JB

5. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

The guards always seem to have their backs to the door on TOS. When they're on the bridge I suppose they are looking for trouble on the bridge not from the lift.
    Maye the guards are looking out for people trying to help Khan and wasn't the door supposed to be locked?

6. Phaser Two

Phaser Two Commodore Premium Member

Yeah, there were a lot of strange positions on the part of security personnel in Star Trek. Paging Mr. Kyle in City on the Edge of Forever, which after Space Seed is the most egregious example. Hey, there's two ways off the ship; let's lock the door to one of them, post extra security, or at least not have the transporter chief so busy doing SOMETHING OR OTHER that he doesn't even look up when the doors open and close behind him. Duh! :ack::thumbdown:

Pauln6 likes this.
  7. johnnybear

Mr.Kyle would have gotten round to it! :techman:
    JB

8. Henoch

Henoch Rear Admiral Premium Member

I assume the two ways off the ship is shuttlecraft and transporter. Lock the door means lock the shuttlebay doors. We see a indication that command from the bridge can override local controls for the shuttlebay doors in the Doomsday Machine when Sulu detects the doors opening then Spock orders him to close them, alas too late. So, why can't the transporter system be shutdown via command from the bridge? :shrug:

Back to your two examples, I don't think either episode portrays security procedures to prevent someone getting off the ship. McCoy is loose, running mad around the ship. Kirk didn't think he was coherent enough and desired to escape off the ship. Kirk ordered a search. Bad Kirk decision, not bad security execution. First, Kirk didn't order a shutdown of the transporters or guards to protect them. Kyle's inattention in the transporter room should not be held against him. In many other episodes, there are two people crewing the transporter, one officer/chief and one technician. Kyle was working alone at the time, so, the technician was probably lurking around in the area and Kyle was expecting it was him coming in to assist him.

For Khan, he had a layer of security around him, i.e. a locked door (they under estimated Khan's physical strength) and one security guard (got surprised - he was lax on duty with his back to the door and confident that Khan couldn't open it.) The guard seemed to be more concerned with someone breaking into Khan's room than Khan breaking out of it. Why only one guard? Again, bad Kirk decision; he under estimated Khan, a genetic "superman", even after McCoy's report of Khan's physical capabilities. Anyway, the security guard failed in his duty, and if Khan didn't kill him, he should be court-martialed. :thumbdown:

9. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

And ion pod. :devil:

ZapBrannigan likes this.
  10. Doc Mugatu

I have now completed the first season of The Original Series. All involved had every right to take pride in the job they had done as it was a truly magnificent body of work. Another thread is this forum asks "Does ST: Discovery affect how we look at The Original Series?" My answer was "Yes," but so does seeing these episodes at their original full runtime. Judging by quality alone it is hard to believe this series was not a smash hit in the general ratings.

"Operation: Annihilate!" (S1E29) was a solid episode. One part that always confused me was when Captain Kirk seemed to blame McCoy initially for Spock's blindness when they pressured McCoy into it. I never understood why they didn't wait for autopsy results before experimenting on Spock - 5 minutes wasn't going to make a difference.

The excellence of "City on the Edge of Forever" (S1 E28) still holds up (I don't care what Ellison had to say about it). Joan Collins was interviewed this past Sunday on CBS Sunday Morning. When the interviewer mentioned her part in this episode she chuckled derisively - I don't get why. It was a compelling story and the production value was very good.

The infamous "Alternative Factor" (S1E27) was a good enough episode. Maybe my least favorite of S1. Robert Brown did a good job all things considered. I think even if Barrymore had shown up on time and willing this episode would still have been mediocre. The problem was in the story. It was way too thin.

Pauln6 likes this.
  11. starbuck

starbuck Captain Captain

Was it not a case that tptb wanted action and scary aliens and fights to how star trek evovled

12. MAGolding

MAGolding Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yes it reconvened and recessed a few more times after that and then came the scene Doc Mugatu mentioned, when Spock was voted guilty,and then the court martial continued like nothing happened which was what Doc Mugatu asked about.

I think that this thread might have the answer: https://www.trekbbs.com/threads/time-in-the-menagerie.299536/

Last edited: May 1, 2019
  13. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Collins has appeared in more than a hundred films and television shows going back seven decades. "The City on the Edge of Forever" was a week-long guest role she did relatively early in her career, yet she's asked about it constantly. That has to be tiring after a while.

14. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Quite.

15. johnnybear

Did she actually have a fling with the Shat at the time or is that bunk? :eek:
    JB

16. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

Hey I thought it would have been mentioned on your fave toupee forums.
    I read somewhere (probably here) that they were having an affair but Collins called it off when she spied him in his dressing room without his hair

johnnybear likes this.
  17. Henoch

Henoch Rear Admiral Premium Member

My thought while watching The Savage Curtain: I liked Kirk's blond hair at the beginning of the series more than his brown hair at the end of the series.

18. Phoenix219

Phoenix219 Commodore Commodore

I've always felt that it was all part of the "rejected use" amalgam that became TNG - Captain PIKE-ard as a more cerebral character; His brash XO William T Ri-Kirk-Decker and his telepathic sexualized former flame Ilia Troi, unemotional but curious science officer Xon-Data, the saucer separation, etc.... or like what if Kirk was Pike's XO on TOS....

Spocko likes this.
  19. Phoenix219

Phoenix219 Commodore Commodore

Could it have been a comment intending to highlight Spock's knowledge of her unrequited cruch on Kirk, and not the standard interpretation?

20. Delta Vega

Delta Vega Commodore Commodore

Whether Rand had an unrequited love for Kirk is irrelevant, Spock was being wholly inappropriate in his comments to her.