Star Trek: The Doomsday Machine - Special Edition Screencaps

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Professor Moriarty, Jun 12, 2009.

1. Professor Moriarty

Professor Moriarty Rice Admiral Premium Member

[​IMG]
    "Decker's Revenge"

2. Kaiser

Kaiser Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Welcome back :)

and awesome image you posted there :) :techman:

3. Woulfe

Woulfe Commodore Commodore

[​IMG]
    I remember you asking how you were going to do this shot.

Nice to see you figured it out ;-)

I think I was one of several who suggested using the stars in the original view screen footage as a reference point to plot out a 3D grid or whatever have you.

4. Professor Moriarty

Hi Woulfe!

Ah yes, that shot. :)

The overall strategy here was to recreate in LightWave the Arriflex 35mm camera that cinematographer Jerry Finnerman used back in 1967. If I could duplicate this camera in LightWave, then all I would have to do is position a simple rectangle at the appropriate spot to act as my "viewscreen", project an image of the asteroids whizzing by onto its surface as an animated surface texture, and then "film" the viewscreen in LIghtWave as the LightWave camera pivoted in perfect synchronization with the 1967 meatspace camera. Then it would just be a simple (but tedious) matter of rotoscoping Bill Shatner in front of the LightWaved viewscreen, and finally, layering my masked viewscreen (with a transparent, animated, Shatner-shaped "hole" in it) on top of the original live action footage. Piece of cake!

Unfortunately, analyzing a scene to find the three-dimensional reference points that recreate the position and movement of a meatspace camera in 3-D cyberspace is tricky stuff. It works pretty good when the real world camera being reconstructed in cyberspace is stationary XYZ-wise and is only pivoting on one of its axes. Unfortunately, Finnerman apparently didn't quite keep the camera locked down while it was pivoting to track William Shatner, which gave my motion tracking software fits. Fortunately, a friend of mine in the UK has a copy of Andersson Technologies SynthEyes, which does an excellent job of dealing with imperfect camera setups like this. You should have seen the keyframe instructions that thing spit out--literally EVERY frame of that short sequence had to be keyframed--there was not one pair of adjoining frames where the camera didn't shake, wobble or otherwise do something other than just smoothly transit along one axis of rotation!

5. TrekkieMonster

TrekkieMonster Commodore Commodore

On another topic, Prof, those are the most bad ass looking phasers I think I've ever seen coming from the Big E in your AV. :techman:

6. Professor Moriarty

7. MadMan1701A

MadMan1701A Commodore Premium Member

Holy crap, that is an awesome image. :) You couldn't be persuaded to make a wallpaper sized one, could you? :)

8. TowerPower

TowerPower Commander Red Shirt

I agree - could you make a wallpaper size out of it?

9. Gagarin

Gagarin Commander Red Shirt

Ahh, that's what is great about filmmaking =).

10. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

I'll have to see it animated. It reads a little flame-thrower in the still.

11. Professor Moriarty

The still was lifted from a now-discarded take where I forgot to turn on motion blur in the camera, which somewhat evens out the jaggies in the phaser particle beams. When animated with motion blur turned on, it still looks like a particle beam, but not quite so flamethrowerey :D

12. Woulfe

Woulfe Commodore Commodore

Oy vey, sounds very tedious....

AND YOU GET TO DO IT AGAIN for later in the same episode.

- W -
    * However it's nice to know it can be done *

13. Professor Moriarty

Oh please, the end of Act IV is light-years in the distance :D

14. AstroSmurf

AstroSmurf Vice Admiral Admiral

Please don't say that. :(

:rommie: But seriously, so far the work has been lush, intricately detailed and beautifully rendered. Every update is a treat. And because of that, it is really hard to be patient and calm with that much anticipation brewing under the surface.

15. Professor Moriarty

Last edited: Apr 1, 2010
  16. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wow. I never thought such spectacularly well-conceived and executed phaser fire could ever become ...

Monotonous.

I don't know whether to applaud or laugh.

17. Professor Moriarty

Well, I guess that's one vote in the hated it column. :( Oh well, can't please everyone.

18. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I really must learn to express myself better.

The first few seconds, I sat at my workstation cheering, then I dimly realized the music sounded repetitive. Then I was certain. Then I had time to double-check my findings. Then I yawned. Then I got a glass of juice. Then I drank it. Then I went out to cut the grass. Then I came back and made sure the music and phaser fire were still repeating. Then I started laughing.

Seriously, Perfessor ... it was both funny and well done. And it finally proved that even phaser fire must be taken in moderation.

Now erase the check from the "hated" column and put it in the "loved" column where it belongs. Don't worry, you have plenty of time before the Enterprise stops firing its phasers.

19. MadMan1701A

MadMan1701A Commodore Premium Member

I thought the effects were great too, but they did seem a little strange with the music. Is that how it sounded originally? I never noticed that before. It would be totally perfect if maybe the phaser sound changed a little each time it fired, or the durations weren't all the same. The glowing effect with the actual beams was perfect. It looked very powerful, for once. :)

20. Kaiser

Kaiser Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I thought it looked more real than what was seen in TOS-R :) :techman: