Star Trek: The Doomsday Machine - Special Edition Screencaps

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Professor Moriarty, Jun 12, 2009.

1. Professor Moriarty

Professor Moriarty Rice Admiral Premium Member

I wanted to start a thread here in the Art Forum for screencaps and "beauty shots" (when I have time) from my "Doomsday Machine" project. These shots below are from the teaser and main credits which debut tonight (Friday, June 12, 2009). (ETA: The videos are online... please follow the link to view!)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]The Enterprise

[​IMG]
    Nothing left but rubble... and asteroids

[​IMG]
    The Enterprise enters System L-374

[​IMG]
    "Every solar system in this sector blasted to rubble... and still no sign of the Constellation."

[​IMG]
    Captain, I think we just found the Constellation...

[​IMG]
    "She was attacked!"

[​IMG]
    "Red alert... red alert... man your battlestations!"

[​IMG]
    These are the voyages of the starship Enterprise...

[​IMG]
    It's five year mission: to explore strange new worlds...

[​IMG]
    To boldly go where no man has gone before!​

Last edited: Jun 12, 2009
  2. Kaiser

Kaiser Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

wow I cant wait to Download this vid and watch it :D:techman:

3. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Wow. This one has been a long time in the making! Looking forward to watching it.

4. USS Mariner

USS Mariner Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The blue twinge irks me personally, but I certainly can't complain, given that it's appropriate given the color of the main star. Besides, everything else is not only beautiful but visibly improved over your previous stuff, though I question the appearance of....um, scanlines on the main viewer? ;)

5. MadMan1701A

MadMan1701A Commodore Commodore

Awesome, as always. :)

6. Professor Moriarty

7. Q2UnME

Q2UnME Commodore Commodore

Downloading now ..... Prof, I've been following your work on this since the "get go". I'm really looking forward to seeing this. What I've seen to date (and remember fondly) has been outstanding. Good luck on your continuing work. I'm really looking forward to your take on the battle sequences. It will be cool to see how it compares to what CBS Digital did on their "TOS-redux".

Can't wait for more!

Q2UnME

8. Kaziarl

Kaziarl Commodore Commodore

Beautiful. And I certainly don't want to sound like i'm trying to knock down your work, but you might want to work on your texturing a bit. Most of the shots looked good, but a couple looked plastic. But all in all, wonderful work. I'm not sure i'd have the patience or the skill for such a project.

9. trekriffic

trekriffic Commander Red Shirt

I really liked the bussard effect you achieved. Those stills will make nice wallpaper images.

10. USS Mariner

USS Mariner Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just watched it. Looks great. I imagine you aren't going to use the new BD footage because that would require all-new traveling mattes for the rotoscoped sequences, correct?

EDIT: Scratch that. I fiddled with the FFdshow codecs and it works fine now, so I'm watching it with vibrant colors now. :D

11. Professor Moriarty

Thanks everyone :)

It's actually more of a lighting problem, and I'll bet I know which shots you're talking about--the two where the Enterprise first flies into System L-374 and later when she approaches the derelict Constellation. The nearly head-on angle between the camera and the L-374 light source just doesn't look quite right on the engineering hull, especially in the latter shot.

Those actually were two of the first "redos" and they're the ones I'm least satisfied with, but they're OK enough, and besides, I told myself, "self, you're not going to endlessly re-tweak everything or you'll never finish!" So what I'm basically doing here is trying to get it as good as I can, but move on after a certain point. If I have time left at the end of my project before my deadline (which is a nebulous target of "beat the 2009 Star Trek Blu-Ray release"), then I'll come back and fiddle with some of this stuff. Thanks for the feedback!

Well that, and the season two Blu-Ray box set won't even be out until September... I'm a rolling stone and cannot gather teh moss. Glad you figured out your color problem :)

12. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

F'ing awesome cool!

In the opening shot, I like how you push into the Enterprise to match the camera push when there's a cut onto the bridge.

13. Rat Boy

Rat Boy Vice Admiral Admiral

I was just going to mention that.

Very nice work, Professor. Are those sparks on the Constellation supposed to be from a hull breach on the bridge?

14. RedSpar

RedSpar Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

G_R_E_A_T work Professor Moriarty, I seriously appreciate all the time and work that goes into that video. Camera movement was fantastic. My only very minor crit, is that the Enterprise is generally over-lit. It lacks enough light-dark contrast on the hull which as mentioned earlier, gives it a plastic-ey look at times. Maybe the specularity is a touch high.

What software did you use to track your CGI on the Enterprise viewscreen? Or did you roto-scope it by hand?

IMO your video is better that the TOS-R redo.

15. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

That was a nice touch. :)

That's what I supposed it was.

Very nice job, Professor!

16. Professor Moriarty

They are indeed. You'll see a much better view of this in Act I!

17. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

Frakking awesome... I'd only add to the gentle suggestion that the ship is a little too light, a touch too much ambience... but it still rocks. :D
    [​IMG]

18. Soar_Dude

Soar_Dude Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I think I know what it is that is making it so plastic. there is no reflected light off the ships. I still have your other work and with apologies looks more realistic.

19. Santaman

Santaman Vice Admiral Admiral

As usual marvelous work prof.:cool:

20. Professor Moriarty

Soar_Dude, I am not sure I understand what you mean by "no reflected light"... can you point out some specific examples from the screencaps?

Your observation is spot-on, Klaus, but actually it's radiosity you're seeing; the only light source is the keylight. FWIW, the intensity of the radiosity is a deliberate choice for several reasons:
    1. It echoes the look of the 60's visual F/X.
    2. The reflected light from the dust remnants of System L-374 would light up the parts of the Enterprise in shadow more than if she were in deep space.
    3. Pure artistic choice.
    Especially the last one. Doug Drexler recently wrote an article on his blog about how dark the NX-01 Enterprise was shot for Star Trek: Enterprise (emphasis mine):

Doug could have been channeling me when he wrote that. The Enterprise isn't just a flying hunk of tin; she's an important supporting character of the series. In this particular episode, I'd even argue she's one of the stars (with her sister ship Constellation being the guest star).