Star Trek: The Doomsday Machine - Special Edition Screencaps

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Professor Moriarty, Jun 12, 2009.

1. Professor Moriarty

Professor Moriarty Rice Admiral Premium Member

Nahh, I chased myself off, Psion. I got sick of the project and just walked away--it wasn't fun anymore. But I always told myself if I got the itch again, I'd scratch it. Well, I'm a'scratchin.

2. Halmirdax

Halmirdax Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I've only stumbled onto this thread today, but wow I'm intrigued and impressed.

3. Mad Jack Wolfe

Mad Jack Wolfe Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

No, just a rather depressing, aggravating day in general. Seeing this project under way again made me smile. :)

4. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oops! Good thing I used the qualifier, "I think he means..." That way I now just look like a partial a$$ than a full blown one. ;)

Well, whatever happened, I hope this day is progressing more pleasantly for you.

Sincerely,

Bill

5. BK613

BK613 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

[Joshua voice] Welcome back, Professor. [/Joshua voice] :)

Awesome to see you back at it...

6. Professor Moriarty

Thanks for the welcome back. :)

[​IMG]
    Click to ementerpriseate

7. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

The fine line between continuity and fanwank.
    And, wallpapered. Thanks, Prof! :)

8. Mad Jack Wolfe

Mad Jack Wolfe Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

No worries, Bill! And today was pretty fantastic, thanks. Plus we get a new wallpaper courtesy of the good Professor! :bolian:

9. Starship

Starship Captain Captain

Welcome back Professor! It´s good to see this project moving ahead again. :techman:

10. TrekkieMonster

TrekkieMonster Commodore Commodore

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xos2MnVxe-c[/yt]

:rommie:

It's great to see you back, Prof, and to see this project moving along! I haven't been around much, myself, lately, but always check in here to see if any old fav's like this are being updated. What a pleasant surprise, and what a great heading-into-the-weekend gift you've left us with. Looking forward to seeing more.:bolian:

11. Professor Moriarty

^^^ LOL! Thanks TM!

12. Professor Moriarty

The maintenance deck is finished; now I'm attacking the main hangar deck. I'm trying to figure out what to do with this blank area between the starboard alcoves:

[​IMG]

On the port side of the hangar we have the "FUELING STATION" sign, the row of six fuel nozzles, and the storage locker beneath the nozzles, which nicely fills an otherwise blank wall, but on the opposite starboard wall there's nothing between the alcoves... at least on the 1966 Matt Jefferies blueprints and Richard Datin's studio model. On the 2007 CGI model, though, there is what appears to be a windowed control room, along with what looks like another footlocker and some wall do-hickeys.

Regarding the control room idea: never mind the fact that "in real life" there's not enough volumetric space available for a room of any appreciable width, it also seems kind of redundant. The hangar deck already has twin control booths on either side of the clamshell doors (you can see one of them in the right foreground above), and possibly a third aft-facing booth under the dome structure on the ass end of the secondary hull. Adding a third/fourth control room to the hangar seems like overkill to me.

Thoughts?

13. Praetor

Looking good!

Personally, I'm fore either adding a portside fueling station or leaving the wall as-is. I agree that the control booth doesn't make a ton of sense.

14. Professor Moriarty

Yeah, but that's the lazy way out. :D Sure, I could just hit the x-axis "Mirror" key and presto, another fueling station appears, but I was trying to think of ideas for "canon" decoration of this area. But like I said, "canon" says that's a blank wall! :vulcan:

Since (at least in the unremastered TOS) we've never seen anything in the hangar deck forward of the large side alcoves, I took more liberties with how the forward wall of the hangar deck looks (e.g., the large "CARGO A" and "CARGO B" doors, the center-positioned turbolift, etc.). But this is one of the few areas where we know exactly what it looked like in 1966. Ideally, I'd like to stick something there that isn't actually attached to the wall and is just sitting there...?

15. Praetor

Hm. I see what you mean. Cargo pods? Shuttlecraft maintenance crane?

BTW, I think the direction you went with the unseen forward end was genius, and fairly well verified by how closely the TFF hangar deck copied, er, recreated the basic design of the TOS one. ;)

16. Professor Moriarty

^^^ The hangar set was just about the only good thing to come out of that movie :)

There are already Star Trek: The Motion Picture cargo containers barely visible in the background of the lower maintenance/cargo deck underneath the main hangar deck. Work bee, maybe? Just because we didn't see one doesn't mean the TOS Enterprise didn't carry a few. The Galileo was registry NCC-1701/7, but we learned in "The Omega Glory" that starships normally carry only four shuttlecraft. That leaves three other vehicles of some sort.

Hmm... anybody got some work bee references handy??

17. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Well, not exactly TMP cargo pods. They aren't as large or the same shape.

18. Professor Moriarty

Not the blue and white hexagonal boxes. The cargo deck is behind the shuttles, bathed in dim red light (it's really hard to see from the angle I posted).

19. Workbee

Workbee Commander Red Shirt

You rang? :cool:

20. Professor Moriarty

LOL... thanks Workbee but I found what I was looking for.

I have friends from out-of-town staying with us for the weekend so no updates until Sunday night at the earliest. Meanwhile, something to tide you over...

[​IMG]
    Click to enhangarate