Star Trek: Strange New Worlds. Confirmed.

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by HotRod, May 15, 2020.

1. Dar70

Dar70 Vice Admiral Admiral

Though I really like Anson Mount. He was pretty awesome in Hell on Wheels and of course he was the best thing about Discovery... for me anyways. I just wish the franchise would move forward already. This will be the fourth series (movie and tv) that we have seen now with only picard moving the franchise forward. We know Pikes eventual fate and they will have to adhere to continuity when it concerns Spock. Too bad Anson wasnt chosen to play a lead in a show set during Picards era. I would have liked to see a show with an all new cast of characters. The bright side is these shows dont get long runs on pay per platform's. So maybe one day we will get a full run show again. Though it's looking do doubtful we will get any new network stuff.

2. Dar70

Dar70 Vice Admiral Admiral

That most definitely will not happen. I would like to see it but the producers and most fans seem to be happy to ignore any visual continuity for the most part. I dont mind slight interior updates like texturing and moving screens. But they completely deviated from the original interior and layout and there was no need for such a drastic exterior update. It looked perfectly fine in ST:ENT.

NCC-73515 likes this.
  3. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, basically. Sometimes the more personal or intimate something is, the better.

BillJ and Ryan Thomas Riddle like this.
  4. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I truly want a balanced approach rather than an all or nothing thing. I don't like all episodic because it feels like nothing matters over time. But, I fully respect the desire for less serialized and lower stakes.

I would say SG-1 is probably the best model to look at, since character continuity carried weight and they were not abashed about galaxy wide threats as appropriate.

Kzinti likes this.
  5. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm not sure why this matters. A story about a ship flying through space having adventures and weird encounters is what it is. It doesn't matter when it takes place. It really doesn't.

And, let's be completely fair. Star Trek has had way more hours of "moving forward" that was all met with diminishing returns/appreciation than we've had of prequel / backstory stuff. Honestly, the "moving forward" in itself got bland and stale. Another new ship with another new captain and another mix of trope-ish characters with "new" technology that doesn't contribute anything different than the "old" technology. I find the idea of exploring unseen stories with legacy characters far more invigorating than creating yet another show about the USS Ennui with your standard trope crew, the transphasic metaphysics warp drive (that still moves at the speed of plot), etc. Additionally, and I know people hate to hear it, but you also have The Orville out simultaneously, which is basically that same formula again, and it's pretty successful. So why create that same thing all over yet again?

We've seen all that before. We've spent 100's and 100's of hours in that space. It got stale and frankly kind of sad.

Now you have a set of characters and performers (Pike, Spock, #1) who were really well liked and appreciated by the fanbase......why the hell wouldn't they give them their own show, in favor of just some other random collection of characters aboard yet another new ship?

Again, not sure why it matters. Backstory provided on characters who we know vs. risking creating new characters nobody likes or gives a shit about....it's the same fundamental risk either way. Except they know people like Pike and Spock.....so.....?

They did that all through the 90's with massively diminishing returns.

6. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

This is a slight misrepresentation of things. Beginning with the third season, DSC will no longer be a prequel. The shift to the 32nd Century is permanent. TPTB have said multiple times they're not going back.

I think between DSC's new direction and PIC, the plan was to be done with prequels from here on out.

I don't think there were originally any plans to do a Pike series. But then three things happened that combined to lead to SNW:

1. Lots of fans demanded it.

2. The movies have stalled out. So they don't have to worry about SNW and the Kelvin Films being too similar.

3. Keeping #2 in mind, CBS and Paramount are under one roof again.

Before you respond, if you do, please bear in mind that while I'm okay with SNW, I much prefer going in the direction of DSC and PIC. I'm just breaking this down as I see it.

Kzinti and Markonian like this.
  7. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Diminishing returns is the name of the game. Costs go up, eyeballs go down. These shows will have diminishing returns as well.

Vger23 likes this.
  8. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Because its giving the fans what they want which is bad...for reasons...

I don't even know anymore.

9. Skipper

Skipper Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, at the time the only hour-long tv show which were truly serialized probably were Dallas followed by Hill Street Blues, but TNG was less episodic than, I don't know CHIPS. One of the characteristics of a totally episodic television series is that its episodes can ideally be viewed in any order (except, perhaps, for the pilot). But I doubt that one could safely see All good things as a second episode followed by, I don't know, The naked now.

10. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's why I'm gonna enjoy the next 2 years or so of Trek. If we get Starfleet Academy before the inevitable crash I'm happy.

11. saladdays

saladdays Captain Captain

So are we now going to get a thread asking why the new show doesn't have it's own forum yet?

F. King Daniel likes this.
  12. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think we already have one over at Future of Trek...?

13. saladdays

saladdays Captain Captain

Yeah, there is a thread on it there, but I don't think there is a thread specifically on when the show is getting it's own thread, like what happened with Picard :hugegrin:

14. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

This was a very effective way of creating a distraction from "When is the third season of Discovery coming out?!"

After the initial announcement, which we just had, we're probably going to have long periods of nothing on the SNW news front, so the threads will pop into and out of dormancy. Until there's a trailer.

Discussion for PIC didn't really pick up until last July. A good six months before the series premiered. I wasn't really posting on TrekBBS during the lead-up to DSC, so I can't really say anything about that. With ENT, discussion really began to pick up around the end of spring, beginning of summer in 2001.

Even though I was barely posting at the time, I know they opened up the DSC Forum in the fall of 2016, thinking the series would premiere in January... then it got pushed back to September. This is just a guess, but I think T'Bonz didn't want to have a repeat of that mistake again, when it came to PIC. IMO, I think she over-corrected. I think waiting until two months before the series started was a little too long. But I also think having an SNW Forum now, at this particular point, is premature. Speaking only in terms of objective opinion.

I personally would NOT complain at all if there was a forum right now for the series, so the "STD Sucks but I Like Pike!" Crowd would just head on over there and out of here. But that's my own bias speaking. I set that aside when I look at things objectively and try to see the bigger picture.

Last edited: May 18, 2020
    DEWLine likes this.
  15. Leathco

Leathco Commander Red Shirt

I'm honestly concerned in the short amount of time the amount of new Trek shows. In under 5 years, we got Discovery, Picard, Lower Decks, and now Strange New Worlds. In a much longer time span we got the 4 shows TNG, DS9, Voyager, and Enterprise. Though over time we have seen seasons grow a lot shorter, from 25 or so episodes a season down to 10 to 15. So maybe it's the same amount as we had in the 90s, just in multiple shows.

Lord Garth likes this.
  16. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

This stands to be a much different game, though. Even with 3 live-action shows per year, you're only barely getting more hours than one show running at 26 episodes per season. Also, the production time on these shows is more like 18-20 months as opposed to 12 months like the old days. And each show is distinctly different...which even further relieves the risk of burnout.

17. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Discovery is in the 32nd century now. Is that forward enough?

The Wormhole likes this.
  18. Skipper

Skipper Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No, he means after the next Big Crunch and the following Big Bang.

Turtletrekker likes this.
  19. Jadeb

Jadeb Commodore Commodore

I’d guess the business model is very different these days as well. There are probably fewer Americans watching the new shows than any of the old ones, but they’re paying for it out of pocket. So it’s feasible to cater to the die-hard fans, who aren’t as prone to burnout.

Blooded, DEWLine, Vger23 and 2 others like this.
  20. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

The plan from the start was year-round Trek on CBS All Access. I'm pretty sure it'll end with a burnout that makes the early 2000's look like nothing, but until then the next 2 years should be a blast.