Spoilers Star Trek: Strange New Worlds 2x10 - "Hegemony"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Strange New Worlds' started by Commander Richard, Aug 8, 2023.

?

Hit it!

1. 10 - Excellent!

31.0%
  2. 9

28.6%
  3. 8

22.5%
  4. 7

8.5%
  5. 6

4.7%
  6. 5

2.3%
  7. 4

0.5%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

1.4%
  10. 1 - Terrible.

0.5%
  1. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

You are absolutely talking about the text of the productions when you claim that the content means they can't possibly take place in the same continuity.

I didn't say that! I said, just like there can be in-universe explanations for why Spock is so different in TMP vs. TOS S3, there can be in-universe explanations for why the Enterprise looks different or why Chapel seems different.

2. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

I'm talking about intent versus actuality. Text has nothing to do with it.

3. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm kinda leaning towards Roger Korby's disappearance for that.

IIRC, as of "Hegemony" Chapel has met Korby, but hasn't yet fallen in love with him. It seems plausible that, given how much in love they became (they were even engaged, weren't they?), his disappearance had a profound effect on her.

4. Sci

You have no evidence of authorial intent that SNW/DIS are meant to take place in another continuity from TOS.

DEWLine and Jack Wolfe like this.
  5. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Is not the world richer for it?

Is it richer as separate pieces?

6. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Never said I did. I said the opposite. That CBS/Paramount considers DSC/SNW to be in continuity with TOS. I'm the one that doesn't believe that.

7. Sci

So, let us review:

Are you claiming that you personally creative reinterpret SNW and DIS as being in a separate continuity from TOS?

Or, are you claiming that the text itself of SNW and DIS indicate it's a separate continuity?

Because the former is your subjective personal interpretation and that's cool. But having a subjective personal interpretation is different from stating as a fact that the text of a work of art definitively states X.

For instance, I happen to be of the opinion that Angel and Faith had sex in the Buffy the Vampire Slayer episode "Enemies." However, I acknowledge that the actual text of the Buffyverse canon explicitly contradicts my interpretation -- the Angel episode "Who Are You?" explicitly asserts that they did not have sex in "Enemies." I understand the difference between my subjective creative reinterpretation on one hand, and the actual text itself on the other.

The text itself of DIS and SNW are very clear: they take place in the same continuity as TOS. You can personally subjectively ignore that for your own headcanon, just as I personally subjectively ignore that line from "Who Are You?" that contradicts my interpretation of the events of "Enemies," but your and my subjective headcanons are not the actual canonical texts.

Uhura's Song and Jack Wolfe like this.
  8. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

I have a better idea. Why don't you just watch the show the way you want to watch it, and not give a shit about how I watch it? Because I don't have to justify my viewing habits to you or anyone else.

9. Sci

I think the best in-universe explanation for why the Christine of SNW has an actual personality and the Christine of TOS is a two-dimensional cardboard cutout, is that we only saw her on a couple of bad days in TOS and normally she was just as vibrant and assertive as she was in the 2250s.

Uhura's Song, JRob94 and Jack Wolfe like this.
  10. Sci

Yeah, sure! Just as long as you don't make false claims about what the text itself actually says.

Jack Wolfe likes this.
  11. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

:rolleyes: What does that matter? You shouldn’t give a crap about my opinion, just like I don’t about yours.

And I’m also pretty sure you don’t have the power to tell anyone what to do.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2023
    Macintosh and Farscape One like this.
  12. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

That too. :)

13. Sci

I don't care about your opinion. I care about false assertions of fact.

Of course not. But if you make a false assertion of fact, I do have the right to call that out.

Jack Wolfe likes this.
  14. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, we can always learn from other's point of view. It's interesting how SNW is viewed as being a Roddeberrian revisionist style like TMP to TOS.

Farscape One likes this.
  15. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

I have made no false assertions of fact, because stating that DSC/SNW is in a different continuity from TOS despite what CBS/Paramount has stated, is my opinion, the reasons of which need no justification.

So I think we’re done here.

16. Sci

Stating that you subjectively reinterpret DIS/SNW as a separate continuity from TOS is legit.

Stating that it is a separate continuity as an objective fact is not legit. That is a false assertion.

17. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

What part of ‘we’re done here’ didn’t you understand?

18. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

When did he say it was a fact?

19. Mutai Sho-Rin

Mutai Sho-Rin Crusty Old Bastard Moderator

I’m putting this lengthy pissing contest on ice for a week. Y’all can do better than this.

the G-man, DEWLine, JRob94 and 2 others like this.
  20. Mutai Sho-Rin

Mutai Sho-Rin Crusty Old Bastard Moderator

Seems I forgot to reopen this thread after that promised week. It is back but if either Sci or Dukhat resumes the argument, warnings will be awarded.

I’m surprised no one complained.