Spoilers Star Trek: Strange New Worlds 2x09 - "Subspace Rhapsody"

Hit it!

• Total voters
Ii don't know. I think it worked. I was not overly emotional as Uhura started her address to the whole crew, but as her song started, i got invested and carried along with it - I was emotional then. If I was in a musical reality, I probably would have started singing and (a la M'Benga) I don't sing.

It if worked for you, that's great! My opinion is only my opinion :).

I was surprised that they actually sang their own pieces though. Usually actors aren't necessarily the best singers. I did notice quite a bit of vocal processing/auto-tune but that's pretty normal in this day and age.

I was surprised that they actually sang their own pieces though. Usually actors aren't necessarily the best singers. I did notice quite a bit of vocal processing/auto-tune but that's pretty normal in this day and age.
I believe several of the actors have singing talent, Goodman in particular.

Also, auto tuning is not new. Been normal for last 20 years.

Or, people don't like musicals, and think this is too whimsical for Star Trek?

See also, "Not real Star Trek" and "Star Trek is serious business" camps.

Inbreeding not required, nor encouraged.

It if worked for you, that's great! My opinion is only my opinion :).

I'm not sure I've ever seen a TV musical episode done any other way. Since it's a TV show explicitly entering a musical reality for an episode, it's kind of important that the singing actually sounds like the characters normally sound like. And a lot of these shows (including this one, as others have mentioned) have at least a few actors with an actual background in singing.

I'm not sure I've ever seen a TV musical episode done any other way. Since it's a TV show explicitly entering a musical reality for an episode, it's kind of important that the singing actually sounds like the characters normally sound like. And a lot of these shows (including this one, as others have mentioned) have at least a few actors with an actual background in singing.

I would think you can find singers that have similar voices to actors.

For example, Bollywood movies are all musicals, and none of the actors actually sing. However to be fair, their purpose for the music is different than in US productions.

I just think that they likely didn't consider singing ability when they were casting ST:SNW, so not everybody necessarily can sing well. Based on an article I read briefly, they mentioned they spent 6 months figure it out and wrote/tailored the song to the singing abilities of the cast. So I guess it was made to work + autotune definitely helps :D.

TBF there are people that HATE westerns.
I think the only genre I dislike is Saw style horror.

For example, Bollywood movies are all musicals, and none of the actors actually sing. However to be fair, their purpose for the music is different than in US productions.

I just think that they likely didn't consider singing ability when they were casting ST:SNW, so not everybody necessarily can sing well. Based on an article I read briefly, they mentioned they spent 6 months figure it out and wrote/tailored the song to the singing abilities of the cast. So I guess it was made to work + autotune definitely helps :D.
I do wonder if Gooding’s background as a singer was a factor in casting her as Uhura, since the character (and original actress) was a singer.

A former roommate of mine was a drama major and she explained that most drama programmes (at that time, at any rate—was some decades ago) expected students to be able to “carry a tune”—that didn’t mean they were accomplished singers, but relatively few were utterly incapable of at least singing along with a chorus. I suspect this is especially true of professional actors. After all, you never know what kind of part will present itself.

A former roommate of mine was a drama major and she explained that most drama programmes (at that time, at any rate—was some decades ago) expected students to be able to “carry a tune”—that didn’t mean they were accomplished singers, but relatively few were utterly incapable of at least singing along with a chorus. I suspect this is especially true of professional actors. After all, you never know what kind of part will present itself.
From what I've heard, when someone asks an actor "can you...?" they always say "yes". :lol:

I think for something like Bollywood, it's not a big deal because they're not making shows, they're making movies. If you only met the character a few minutes ago and haven't heard that much of their voice yet you'll accept just about any singing voice that isn't wildly incongruent. It's different when you've been watching the character for years already and in many cases (like Uhura) have actually already heard them sing, just under far simpler circumstances.

You could probably still find a matching voice if you looked hard enough, but it wouldn't be that easy. It's far simpler to just write the story so that any actor who can't sing very well is just a character who can't sing very well (poor M'Benga and Batel) and just make sure the episode doesn't require them to sing so much that the audience gets annoyed by it.

Seems like Subspace Rhapsody was a big hit on the Nielson 'Top 10' Streaming Charts:

TrekMovie: ‘Star Trek: Strange New Worlds’ Climbs Streaming Top 10 Chart For Week Of Musical Episode
https://trekmovie.com/2023/09/01/st...ing-top-10-chart-for-week-of-musical-episode/
...The Nielsen top 10 original streaming program chart for the week of July 31-August 6 includes Star Trek: Strange New Worlds—the week of the musical episode “Subspace Rhapsody.” SNW moved up from #9 for the previous week to #7, with 362 million minutes viewed. The series continues to compete and even beat original programming from streaming services with significantly more subscribers like Prime Video and Hulu.

This is the sixth time Strange New Worlds has ranked on the Nielsen chart in the first eight weeks of its season 2 run (which includes one week when two episodes premiered). Earlier in the year, Star Trek: Picard ranked on the same chart three times during its 10-episode run. Since Nielsen started measuring Paramount+ data earlier this year, only the two Star Trek shows and the Yellowstone prequel 1923 have appeared on the original top 10 chart...

Seems like Subspace Rhapsody was a big hit on the Nielson 'Top 10' Streaming Charts:

TrekMovie: ‘Star Trek: Strange New Worlds’ Climbs Streaming Top 10 Chart For Week Of Musical Episode
https://trekmovie.com/2023/09/01/st...ing-top-10-chart-for-week-of-musical-episode/
064TowF.jpg

That guy's hair is so thick and rich it could power an entire nation for a decade.

And the guy in the red knotted sweater doesn't have bad hair, neither.

Back