Star Trek: Starships Model/Magazine Subscription

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by trekker670, May 21, 2013.

1. t_smitts

t_smitts Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

In the midst of a dull day of working from home (which I should really get back to, BTW) I got a welcome delivery of a couple of ships I ordered off the site nearly three weeks ago: The Klingon D4 concept and the Cardassian weapon platform, both of which look wonderful.

The D4 is this great mix of the texture and cabling we saw on the Klingon ships on "Enterprise", with the basic shape and "head" of the D7. I actually think you could call the D6, as this theoretically could've been an intermediate design between the "Enterprise" era ships and the D7. I wish they'd done a remastering of the episode "Unexpected", where they put this ship in instead.

The Cardassian weapon platform has relatively little volume but quite a bit of heft to it. I actually think it's all metal (in other words, basically, the opposite of the holoship from "Insurrection"). The shape and curvature of the arms are very reminiscent of DS9. It's a pity the arms don't close, but if they're not gonna do that for Voyager, they're not gonna do that for this one.

Well done on both, Eaglemoss.

My only regret is that Irishtrekkie apparently hasn't put out a review for either model, as my tradition is to unbox any new model along with him.

Edited to add:

Just waiting on the couple of models and binder I ordered off of eBay now.

DS9forever and Markonian like this.
  2. drt

drt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Rahul likes this.
  3. dantini

dantini Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

[​IMG]
    The T'Plana-Hath seems to look exactly like the CG and prototype models we've seen. As a regular model I would've bought it, but at twice the size and twice the price it's not accurate enough for me. I wonder why they printed all those fine lines on it, but not the hull details it actually has in the movie.
    [​IMG]
    I'm gonna need to take a closer look at the Borg cube to see how well it matches the movie version, but at first glance I like it.

4. pst

pst Commodore Commodore

looks pretty good for the scale, i'm sure we'll be getting a special-sized cube from picard next year too.

i appreciate that they've included the borg sphere port:
    [​IMG]

5. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Admiral Admiral

6. Kpnuts

Kpnuts Commodore Commodore

I like how the windows around the middle of the saucer are all small and the ones on the outside are enormous. And how the lights are exactly mirrored. No lazy designing there. No sir.

7. thribs

thribs Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They could be multiple windows that are so close together that they look like one big window.
    The magazine comes with some nice tidbits from Drexler on its design. I like his explanation for the small nacelle struts.

8. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Admiral Admiral

I like the Box Art/Book Art for the STO ships
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

saddestmoon and Markonian like this.
  9. mswood

mswood Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well I am certainly glad they are doing a real Borg Cube. I’ve been a little surprised they didn’t do an XL or special size. But we will certainly get they new cube design for Picards line of ships.

I still think I’d rather have a best of both worlds version. But I think that would be far harder to make look accurate to any real degree.

Markonian likes this.
  10. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Vice Admiral Premium Member

They kind of did a large size cube for subscribers back in the beginning, but it was horribly inaccurate. The Deagostini Cube for Japanese subscribers was a little bit smaller, but arguably more accurate to the original TNG version. Super hard to find and stupid expensive on eBay.

11. Dukhat

Dukhat Vice Admiral Admiral

It’s a sad day when a 24th/25th century STO ship looks better then the actual 2399 Starfleet ships shown on screen.

DS9forever, Kpnuts and saddestmoon like this.
  12. thribs

And that’s not even one of the good ones. :)

saddestmoon likes this.
  13. TPezz

TPezz Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I’m still hanging out for the previously revealed Discovery XL! I was hoping it might have came in this next wave :wah:

14. mswood

Yeah I threw that piece of garbage in the trash the day it arrived. And I wasn't that impressed with the Japanese gift, but it was absolutely a significant improvement of what everyone else got.

137th Gebirg likes this.
  15. Paul755

Paul755 Commander Red Shirt

it looks like a “Discovery” era ship with slightly updated nacelles.

BillJ likes this.
  16. Markonian

Markonian Commodore Commodore

That's harsh. Why didn't you sell it on?

17. Dukhat

Dukhat Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, yeah, it’s the 25th century version of the DSC Shepard class. But that wasn’t the point of my comment.

18. Markonian

Markonian Commodore Commodore

saddestmoon likes this.
  19. thribs

That’s been an article there for years. I use it to see upcoming models.

20. mswood

I've don't think I've ever resold anything. If I think something has some value I will give it away. But I literally thought it was crap, I wouldn't sell crap, heck I thought it was bad enough that I wouldn't give it to Goodwill. I used to collect lots of things over the years, probably the biggest things were comics back in the day and Playmates Star Trek line in the 90's. When I no longer got pleasure from them I just found people who I thought would like them.

Markonian likes this.