Star Trek: Starships Model/Magazine Subscription

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by trekker670, May 21, 2013.

1. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Unless it's just for bookkeeping purposes by that time and not put on the actual hull anymore.

Markonian likes this.
  2. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

That frustrated me as well.

dantini likes this.
  3. Doom Shepherd

Doom Shepherd Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

We're about due for the announcement of the last 5 figures in the "Main" line.

(I surmise this because Archer's Toy and the Mondor were solicited in the last "Previews" catalog from Diamond distributors, a week ago, meaning that the next ones should appear there by the 26th.)

137th Gebirg and Markonian like this.
  4. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

What ships do we reckon are The Final Five?

I remember the Tarellian plague ship prototype.
    Perhaps another Xindi ship?

5. dantini

dantini Commander Red Shirt

Memory Alpha already lists the Tarellian Starship and Think Tank Vessel. As for the remaining issues, I'm hoping for Klingon ships (D5 Deuterium Tanker, Kronos One, or D7 with Romulan markings), and the USS Raging Queen.

Markonian and 137th Gebirg like this.
  6. 137th Gebirg

We'll probably never see the Raging Queen, as it's too similar to the Curry. I'd like to see it too, but it's not likely to happen. Maybe a shop exclusive special further down the line...

Markonian likes this.
  7. dantini

That's probably their reasoning, but I disagree. Except for the Raging Queen they made every single one of the TNG and DS9 kitbashes and Excelsior study models now. No matter how obscure or even unpopular, no matter how small in the background they were, even some that use similar components, and even if they were merely seen as debris or junk. It's a weird decision to omit exactly one of them. We also got five Miranda and three Nebula variants - the Raging Queen isn't any more similar to the Curry than the Lantree is to the Reliant.

Markonian likes this.
  8. 137th Gebirg

Oh, don't get me wrong, I agree with you! :) I just don't think from a business standpoint that they would do it. They could, since they already have 99% of all the digital assets required to build it (provided they have good access to the original miniature to use as source material), but they also need to do a magazine for it as well, and I think they may be running out of things to say about these background ships. There's a lot of effort that goes into making that stuff and they may not think it's a good R.O.I.

Markonian and dantini like this.
  9. dantini

I'd imagine that almost any Starfleet ship sells better than the average alien ship. When they released three weird Excelsior study models in quick succession they must have been pretty confident they'd sell.

Markonian and 137th Gebirg like this.
  10. 137th Gebirg

Yes - I would hope that may give them an indication that putting out more obscure ships like that would continue to help their bottom line. I do still hold out some hope we'll see some of those types of things as stand-alones, but not a final part of the main line.

Markonian and dantini like this.
  11. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

USS Elkins. Really hoping to get that at some point, too.

137th Gebirg and dantini like this.
  12. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

None of the DS9 kitbashes that didn’t make it to the screen have been given the Eaglemoss treatment. I doubt the Elkins will be different.

Markonian likes this.
  13. dantini

All DS9 kitbashs that didn't make it on screen should be released as bonus issues. They could start with the Jupp since it's a variant of the ever popular Constitution-class refit.

Markonian likes this.
  14. Doom Shepherd

Doom Shepherd Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I still want the Husnock and Tarellian ships, and the Kazon mothership/carrier.

Markonian likes this.
  15. Paul755

Paul755 Commodore Commodore

I still want a corrected XL 1701-A.

Can someone tell me if the regular 1701-E is worth buying? I’ve been thinking of grabbing it but after seeing the regular 1701-D in person, I dunno.

16. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Trek does that all the time with countless Intrepid's, Hood's, Defiant's and whatnot. The Enterprise getting a letter after it's name seems pointless. You already have the legacy and probably a lounge somewhere with gold painted model ships.

Brefugee likes this.
  17. t_smitts

t_smitts Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm really hoping for Degra's ship and the Bajoran scoutship. (I wouldn't mind the Ferengi shuttle either).

DS9forever and Markonian like this.
  18. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

"In universe," I think initially the letters was to honor that specific Enterprise, NCC-1701 (and maybe indirectly Kirk and his crew perhaps). Starfleet could have simply put NCC-1701 on a new Excelsior-class ship, but there may not have been one ready to go for Kirk and company at the time. Adding a letter to the registry could have been just an arbitrary decision as any other, IMO, but it does kind of help tell which incarnation of the Enterprise is which when it comes to particulars.

Basically, i think it's just a unique Starfleet tradition that is indeed unique to the Enterprise. I don't see it lasting forever--i.e., long enough to where there's a NCC-1701-S--as new traditions sometimes replace older ones.

19. STR

STR Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Regular 1701-E is better than the XL solely because the small scale makes the problems in their source model (which isn't one of the screen-used versions) less obvious. The paint job, in particular, is really bad and inaccurate.

Then again, I think the exact same thing about the 1701-D, so take that into consideration.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
  20. Paul755

Paul755 Commodore Commodore

Thanks.