Star Trek: Starships Model/Magazine Subscription

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by trekker670, May 21, 2013.

1. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

2. jaime

jaime Vice Admiral Admiral

Nope. I want them to keep going. For as long as they can. I want them to end the numbered run. They can do three packs, keep the DSC range as their monthly release. Sell all the merchandise they like etc etc. Just end the numbered run, and sort out the subscription model back to how it started. Because atm, a chunk of stuff is either a separate purchase or a separate sub, and you either have to double or triple your expense, Miss stuff, or just give up.
    I don’t think you get what I am saying. *shrug*

3. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

saddestmoon and Markonian like this.
  4. Nate

Nate Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I’m thinking that maybe you’re excited for this one. Just a hunch though. :lol:

Just got 2 more shipping notices. One for the XL Defiant & one blank. I think that might be for the XL Ent-A magazine since that’s the only thing I’m missing. So that makes my Discovery #4 BOP, Sternbach Voyager, XL Defiant all coming within a week of each other.

137th Gebirg likes this.
  5. Paul755

Paul755 Commodore Commodore

I got the same blank shipping notice today. Considering I haven’t ordered anything since the XL 1701-A I’m assuming it’s the long overdue magazine as well.

6. t_smitts

t_smitts Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I suppose it's only a matter of time. I watched the episode of "The Toys That Made Us" dealing with Star Trek toys (and for anyone who has Netflix, I highly recommend it) and they talk in depth about Playmates action figure line. They mention, while the line was a huge success for some time, one of their big mistakes was introducing one or two figures with a limited production run of only 1,701 copies. This meant a lot of collectors would go without and ultimately gave up on their goal of a complete set, which really hurt sales.

Also Eaglemoss' emphasis on scraping the bottom of the barrell for Starfleet ships and variations on "hero" ships because they sell better reminds me of how Playmates came out with all these variations on the main characters (The TNG crew as Dixon Hill characters, the DS9 crew in "Trials and Tribbleations", Geordi as the alien from "Identity Crisis", etc.) rather than other characters for the same reason.

Furthermore, the Playmates line lasted about five or so years before fizzling out. We're now at about the same point with Eaglemoss. I love most of these ships and I'm happy to continue buying them when I can afford it, but this ride can't last forever.

Actually it's kind of frustrating to me that some ships from major races, including ships that appeared in multiple episodes, as well as a couple from the movies, still haven't gotten announcements, but far more obscure ships have. Surely movie ships like the Lakul and the Merchantman are a bit more memorable than the Lokirrim ship or the Voth research ship. Surely the Jem'Hadar battleship (3 episodes), Groumall (3 episodes, 4 if you count the Klingon freighter in "Sons and Daughters"), Degra's ship (10 episodes), and the Bajoran scout/transport (14 episodes, if you count stock footage) are more important a one-shot like Irina's ship, let alone the Captain Proton ship.

For my part, I'll probably never have a complete set. For one thing, I've never had the funds to order a subscription. Every month or so, I'll build up the funds to get a ship I want at my local store or off of eBay (though not from the US until this tariff debacle blows over) but that's it. $30 CAD is still usually quite a bit for me. Getting one of the specials or the bigger versions is out of the question for me, as they typically go for three or more times as much. Even if I had that much money to burn, I'd rather get three regular-sized ships. I'm not at all interested in any of the Nemesis ships, the JJ Abrams ships, the Discovery ships, or most of TOS-R ships. (Nothing against TOS-R, which I liked, and I'm actually glad they added in all these unseen ships but most of them don't really excite me, although I do have the Antares). Sometimes, it's just because I don't care for the design of a ship, like the Romulan BOP from "Minefield" (which, for some reason looks more advanced than the one from "Balance of Terror") or most of the Wolf 359 or Dominion War-era kitbashes (with a few exceptions like the Kyushu and Centaur)

I don't mean to get all negative. My collection makes me quite happy and I've ended up getting all of the existing models that I was really gunning for. Not a day goes my when I don't pick one up to look at it. There's still a few I hope get made, and as customers patronizing a business, we should try to keep them honest, but all things considered, I think we've been pretty lucky with this line, and I, for one, try to remember that.

Rahul and Markonian like this.
  7. 137th Gebirg

Sadly, almost nobody will have a complete set due to the obscure rarity of the Borg Cube sent only to Japan through their sister distribution company Deagostini which, IMO, looks much better than what we got, albeit smaller. They've shown up on occasion for $600-800. The Vegas ISS Glenn will also be a challenge, but not insurmountable.

8. Doom Shepherd

Doom Shepherd Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't have a subscription, I just order the ships I want through my local comic book retail (The PREVIEWS Catalog lists what ships will be coming out, I use that.) So I will skip the few ships I'm not interested in, like Borg Voyager.

Jeez, this ain't rocket surgery.

Michael likes this.
  9. Rahul

Rahul Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You are right, it's the completionists who keep that line going, not opportunists like me that buy only a very select few ships.

Also, we are still missing all the Son'a ships from Insurrection. On the one hand we are still missing quite a few of the "big" alien guest ships. On the other, they are almost through with ALL of Star Trek's ships, which is a feat that's quite amazing. It is a finite amount of ships that's left - though if you would do really all of them (Voyager's "Year of Hell" ships and various other background ships), I think they still can let the collection go one year or the other.

137th Gebirg and pst like this.
  10. pst

pst Commodore Commodore

it's about time:
    [​IMG]
    due out by the end of the year.

11. Rahul

Rahul Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nice!
    I wasn't aware that the standard-shuttle from "Into Darkness" (which Imo is a magnificent design!) was that similar to the USS Kelvin evacuation shuttles! That's gonna' be interesting when more pictures of the models arrive.

12. Tuskin38

13. pst

pst Commodore Commodore

here are more shots of the tardigrade.
    [​IMG]
    the reliant looks spectacular, but that enterprise-B is looking mighty toylike.
    they're practically the same design - in fact three of the four shuttles here are basically the same, which makes me wonder why they didn't break it up with a jump ship from into darkness or something. thankfully, i love all four of these shuttles and i'm stoked to get them.

saddestmoon likes this.
  14. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

Wow. Both of those look incredible!

Really tempted by the Reliant. If they make an XL Excelsior... XLsior... to the same standard I may bite on that too.

saddestmoon likes this.
  15. Nate

Nate Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Discovery Klingon Bird of Prey came today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

137th Gebirg, Markonian and pst like this.
  16. Tuskin38

I say this everytime someone gets a new ship, but any interesting tidbits in the book? :lol:

Markonian likes this.
  17. t_smitts

t_smitts Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Speaking of shuttles, I'm surprised they haven't done the Galileo 5 from "Star Trek V". That was certainly featured more prominently than, say, the Work Bee.

pst likes this.
  18. pst

pst Commodore Commodore

this just arrived. it's not a bird of prey either.
    [​IMG]

ialfan, Ethros, Markonian and 5 others like this.
  19. 137th Gebirg

Heh... In all fairness, the paint job and mods that ILM put on the old Excelsior model contributed heavily to the toyish look. In this case, it's made worse by the horribly overscaled grid line grooves. Make them smaller and it will look millions better.

The close ups of the Reliant are starting to bring out some of the missing bits on it:
    • The sides of the warp engine nacelles seem very flat. Should be more rounded.
    • Phaser banks on primary hull are missing their "balls".
    • B/C deck decal is off-alignment from the plastic edges.
    • The top center-line deflector grid groove is missing completely.
    • Primary hull edge is missing the three grooves around its perimeter (XL Enterprise was missing these as well).
    • All the formation lights are red. Shouldn't the starboard lights be green?
    Despite all these things, it's still a far superior model to many others in its scale and I am looking forward to adding it to my collection.

pst likes this.
  20. Hey Missy

Hey Missy Captain Captain