Star Trek: Renegades

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Danlav05, Aug 17, 2012.

1. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

To be honest Nick, that part does not involve me, so i have no answer for you. At this stage, I will be happy when all the perks get shipped out.

2. USS Intrepid

USS Intrepid Commodore Commodore

Fair enough. And yeah, I can well imagine. I realise what a massive job it must be.

3. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don;t usually read Fan Film Factor, but I did read their recent stuff on Renegades and it ended thusly:

But all pettiness from CBS and Paramount aside, Renegades still goes boldly and proudly onward. Sky Conway, along with co-writer Ethan Calk, have now written the show “bible,” fleshing out the universe and characters. Sky has been outlining, and he hopes to have the first draft of the next script completed in another month or two. There will be a mostly new cast that will explore and expand more of the Renegades universe. And even though it won’t be “Star Trek” as we all know it, it will still have that same Gene Roddenberry feel and inspiration.

Looks like Renegades is continuing on with a mostly new cast after Requiem.

Jedi_Master likes this.
  4. Richard Baker

Richard Baker Commodore Commodore

Haven't seen any of the recent shows since Atomic Network wants me to provide my SMS number so they can funnel alerts and exciting offers to me.

5. F. King Daniel

AFAIK, you can leave all the fields blank when signing up, save for email. But Requiem Part 1 is on Youtube now:

6. HerbFlynn

HerbFlynn Lieutenant Red Shirt

I wonder if any STAR TREK alumni will still be involved, including Tim Russ at least in a director capacity.

7. Phoenix219

Phoenix219 Commodore Commodore

If its all new characters, and its not the Trek Universe, then why should anyone care?

Not even trying to be snarky here.

I'll pass.

8. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes, Of course, there is no restriction on who is cast.

Going forward it has to be rebooted to a certain degree as the first episode was Star Trek and the second episode the Requiem was to be the follow up based on the Star Trek plot and character elements. Since we had to remove Star Trek, many of those storylines would have to be redone. There was also closure for some of the main plot elements in the Requiem, so new ones would have to be created anyways.

dmac likes this.
  9. Philip Guyott

Philip Guyott Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Just watched the full episode which was released to the backers yesterday. Part two does feel stronger then the first and the visual effects are stunning. Very emotional ending. I will hold off on any further comment until others have had chance to see it.

F. King Daniel and dmac like this.
  10. F. King Daniel

Looking forward to the public release of part II. Between this and The Orville, it's the age of pseudo-Trek.

11. Matthew Raymond

Matthew Raymond Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

For a split second, I forgot what thread this was and thought you were talking about Discovery. I was like: "Uh...Buddy...I have some bad news for you..."

12. Ghislaine H. B. BRAEME

Ghislaine H. B. BRAEME Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

For sure they didn't over-exert themself to find the names! <grin>

To go back to "Requiem" and unlike the vast majority of comments, well, I didn't like it, sorry, although I must admit some good things like the fact that it was a continuation of the Prime Universe (10 years after Voyager's return on Alpha Quadrant, in fact), the idea that a rag-tag crew of renegades and outcasts covertly work with Starfleet's representants to stop forces threatening the Federation from outside, and within (what missed so much in Voyager with Starfleet/Janeway and the Maquis/Chakotay -> 2 ways of acting and thinking), great special effects (the scenes of starship battles in space are actually really good)/design of vessels which was interesting in the good way but damn, the acting was terrible (wooden, emotionless, lines/humor that fall completely flat, no connection between the characters) and the script feeling a bit under-written. I know that the cost was under $500,000 but‎ it does not excuse ‎the weaknesses.

That being said, I liked to see Jadzia ... oops sorry, Jada, again (Terry Farrell is much more believable a ada in action than in a Cerebral Jada) and Kovok (ex-Tuvok) -> Tim Russ delivered his usual Tuvok performance, even if ‎he looked tired, liked Robert Picardo as Lewis Zimmerman in Renegades). As for Jirin (ex-Icheb), I was quite surprised to see him not working under Starfleet uniform but for Cordero (ex-Chakotay), I was pretty pleased not seeing him wearing a captain's uniform, according to his past with the military institution and his tate of mind quite anti-Federation (honestly, I still don't understand why authors of non-canon novels were stubborn to make Chakotay reinstated Starfleet and got a promotion while it was so clear at the end of Voyager that he wanted nothing more than a quiet life but, anyway!).

13. F. King Daniel

Any word on when part 2 will be available online for us mere mortals to see?

14. jaime

jaime Vice Admiral Admiral

To be fair... Chakotay staying in Starfleet to be close to a certain lady makes sense in context, then staying to fight the Borg, then continuing to honour a certain lady and to be close to his ‘family’ all makes sense in context of the stories those tell. Not to mention he chose A life in Starfleet before joining the Maquis, so obviously it serves some purpose to him.
    I would say either is a likely outcome depending on what story they tell.

15. Ghislaine H. B. BRAEME

First, who said that Chakotay would be happy to work for Starfleet again, in the name of the Federation? Yes, he woked actively with Janeway for 7 years to go home but, I remind you that he didn't do it by conviction but because he had everything to gain in this collaboration, especially his freedom and a comfortable lifestyle on board (not sure that Picard or Sisko would have been as accommodating as Janeway was, btw! -> these two would have found a way to lock the members of the Maquis or abandon them on an unknown planet).
    -> I had the feeling that Chakotay after almost 10 years to fight to survive, would be rather the type to seek peace and preferably on the land of his ancestors, to pursue his researches in anthropology or teaching to young souls. ... far from the ploys of Starfleet & the Federation!

Second, let's imagine that Chakotay would hope to recover his former commission of Lt Com (I remind you that he resigned it to join the Maquis!) and so, be able to continue working under Starfleet flag. Who says that the institution would agree to re-hire a former officer who turned as a terrorist, not hesitating to use the military education that was offered to him, to serve the enemy and even, to fight officers sent by the Federation?!
    No matter if Chakotay's intentions were commendable, he betrayed Starfleet and men/women who worked for the institution -> if he was able to betray them once, what insurance would they have that he won't do it again, the next time that the Federation will take a decision which won't suit him?!
    Of course, after the Dominion War, losses can only be heavy and as much Starfleet & the Federation would need to reinforce the troops, they will NEVER appeal to former mercenary troops and traitors, even super experienced. It would be too risked and so, dangerous. And the message sent to loyal Starfleet officers would be wrong. I'd say that Starfleet can decide to impose surveillance measures.

Third, besides the fact that Janeway made clear to Chakotay that she wasn't interested in a romantic relationship with him (the mutual flirtation that had settled between them in first 3 seasons gave way to a true friendship...though the clashes occurred in Scorpion and later in Equinox, ‎surely left traces!) and that, our dear Angry Warrior seemed to have received the message loud and clear, what surely explained why he ended up distancing himself from the captain to spend more time with Seven at point to romance her, promising to take this relationship very seriously and promising her the earth. -> wouldn't it be dishonest from Chakotay to romance a woman (the young & still inexperienced Seven), while in fact, he still has in mind an other woman (a mature Janeway)?! I'm not sure that Janeway would appreciate Chakotay's action!
    -> Janeway has one and only love: Starfleet (mission, vessel, crew, job). And even if she cared for both (Chakotay & Seven) on board, I think that if she had to make a choice between them, once on Earth, she would favour Seven, that she always considered as a surrogate daughter. In fact, Janeway doesn't need Chakotay to carry out her life and Chakotay would be wrong not to understand/accept this situation.

16. jaime

jaime Vice Admiral Admiral

I am just saying either is likely, not least as any surviving Maquis would have by default ended up on the Starfleet side during the Dominion War.
    However to pick up on one point you make...I was deliberately ambitious by not mentioning Janeway by name.
    One thing I am not fond of in the relaunches is the destruction of relationships the show ended on...Bashir and Ezri splitting up was a bad idea, and tbh, I think more should have been done with the Seven Chakotay relationship...I know some fans didn’t like it, but it made a fair amount of sense, and it is what we had, as well as being an important motivator for futur Admiral Janeway. I can see the flip side, and the fan edit of endgame that turns up where they extend it with bits from other episodes and make the relationship into Harry and Seven is quite nice mind you.
    I do also see the Chakotay Janeway relationship early in Voyager but...like I said. It ended with Seven and Chakotay.

In terms of living her life...her wishes wouldn’t have been a factor, it would be about what Chakotay chose, and in the books there’s a fair amount of his reasoning behind his choices, including the Borg invasion.
    Could he go a different way?
    Sure. But he was Starfleet longer than he was Maquis, and he couldn’t even start a fire. I don’t see him farming, but can imagine him trying for good reasons. I guess good reasons is what Chakotay always uses as motivation...so we are full circle...both are likely outcomes for the same character.

17. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

It will be on Youtube soon.

18. Ghislaine H. B. BRAEME

Ended up by default on the Starfleet side doesn't guarantee you a job among their staff and/or crew, especially after to have been considered as terrorists and/or traitors.
    -> Besides, IF Starfleet was really ready to give a chance to their former officers, admirals would have informed Janeway of their intention (at least in s7) to formalize the current commissions for those who wanted to stay within the military instition, promising a place on their return from DQ. Instead of that, the blur persisted until the end as if the producers/writers wanted to let fans choose the end, at least one that suits them best (for me, it would be no amnesty or pardon but a suspended sentence for services provided on board of Voyager and of course, no chance to return to Starfleet for former officers or even new apllicants. They cannot have the cake and eat it too, the chance should not be carried too far.
    -> to hold beliefs and fight for them, is a good and important thing but to be ready to assume the consequences of their actions, including former ones, is essential too). Believe me, this situation would be a clear picture of the real conditions! :whistle:

By the way, it seems to me that, in Renegades, Cordero/Chakotay is no longer in Starfleet but owns(/works in) a bar... .

Whatever Janeway or Seven (or even, Seska), Chakotay has the bad habit to ALWAYS set his sights on women having strong personalities. Result: they ended quickly tire of him or were not interested at all. :whistle:Again, neither Janeway or Seven needs Chakotay to achieve their aims. However, he needs Janeway's protection more than Seven.

I agree with you on this point, Star Trek and romantic relationships never managed to go along. Who knows why?! Even Paris/Torres, the only couple which managed ‎to last through the seasons (and ‎even started a family), was odd for me. In fact, I never found them a good match to one another... , contrary to Janeway/Paris and that despite the age difference* & subordination link but if Janeway always refused to date Chakotay because he was her XO, I don't see her suddenly agreeing to date her younger pilot, as bright he is, rightt?!)
    -> as for the age difference, if some people found C/7's romance acceptable
    despite their almost thirty-year gap, they shouldn't be shocked with Janeway/Paris! (I'd add that Roxann Dawson is younger than Kate Mulgrew of only 3 years!)

About Chakotay/Seven, sorry but I am one of those people who didn't like this pairing (I did not like J/C either, btw). Not only their story was badly ‎tied (seriously, these 2 people had to share something like 3 or 4 scenes together since the arrival of Seven on board, in s4 and their relationship was tinted of disdain for the most part and suddenly, they dated, in the last episode of the series?! Sorry but producers/writers really took the most of us for fools to think that we were going to believe this humbug. Without forgetting that both actors really made little effort to be convincing! -> for me, the characterization of Chakotay & Seven lost a lot in this relationship (warmth, emotion, innocence, mystery and authenticity) and all this to give Robert Beltran a bone to gnaw! What a waste of time! :-(
    -> It seems that their separation soon after return to Earth was acted like an irremediable event by most authors. of non-canon novels & fanfictions for making J/C or J/7, some possible pairings.
    -> maybe I missed something but it seemed to me that Cordero/Chakotay was single in Renegades, right?

19. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

You should probably stay away from the relaunch books.:guffaw:

20. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

No he is not, he talks about this and who he is married to in Part 2.