Star Trek Prodigy - New Mission Logs

AnimationAdmiral

Lieutenant Commander
Red Shirt
They are releasing weekly mission logs for Prodigy season 1B that are set between episodes, performed by Kate Mulgrew and written by the Prodigy head writer and executive producer Aaron Waltke.

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CkdZ8JDNGnq/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

They just dropped the first one on Instagram, and it contains some interesting backstory on the Protostar’s mission and construction.

I hope they don't drag out the Diviners identity and mission secrets over to many episodes.

That kinda delay almost always ends up making the hero's look like idiots.

I don't have an Instagram account and it played for me.

Though when I tried a second time, it didn't. :shrug:

I hope they don't drag out the Diviners identity and mission secrets over to many episodes.

That kinda delay almost always ends up making the hero's look like idiots.

Agreed, though, one has to understand that Janeway and the Dauntless have literally nothing to go on as far as the Diviner is concerned.
Maybe it will be resolved fairly quickly in the next few episodes (which will give Janeway more motivation to hunt down the Protostar which will set up the rest of the season, and hopefully we'll see Chakotay and his crew).

Agreed, though, one has to understand that Janeway and the Dauntless have literally nothing to go on as far as the Diviner is concerned.
Maybe it will be resolved fairly quickly in the next few episodes (which will give Janeway more motivation to hunt down the Protostar which will set up the rest of the season, and hopefully we'll see Chakotay and his crew).

Yep. I’m going to guess Janeway figures out the real situation by episode 5 or 6, but by then The Diviner has turned on her. I’m okay with her chasing them down for a few episodes — that’s part of the fun. Hunt for Red October wouldn’t have been a very good movie if everyone figured everything out by the first act.

The log confirms they left the Diviner with foot and supplies.

Yes it does. As we should have assumed from the beginning, but people have dark imaginations I guess?

Is this it?

No, they are Vice Admiral’s logs told from the perspective of the real Janeway and performed by Kate Mulgrew, set between Prodigy episodes. They look like this:

FgkjG7EUcAAJFAC

No, they are Vice Admiral’s logs told from the perspective of the real Janeway and performed by Kate Mulgrew, set between Prodigy episodes. They look like this:

FgkjG7EUcAAJFAC

Are these considered canon?
We had the same thing for Discovery when the actress who plays Jett Reno made a similar log recording for Disco season 3 (or was it 4?) detailing some stuff.
But it was never established if these extra logs are actually canon or not (usually stuff seen on-screen is considered canon - but since this was made by the people who make the show, and not fans, nor is it part of pocket books, then is it canon?

They DO kinda give us more content to work with beyond what on-screen stuff does, and they don't seem to contradict canon.
In fact, now we know that Torres was the lead engineer in desigining and constructing the Dauntless (YAY!!).

I definitely liked Torres on VOY and would have liked to see her perform some technological advancements on her own... I loved VOY, but man the writers and UPN missed so many opportunities to showcase the crew innovate various things in a lot of 'down time' epsiodes that would have enriched the characters and the show if you ask me.

At any rate, these crew logs could be used to 'fill in some blanks' that never made it to screen (if they are considered canon).

Yep. I’m going to guess Janeway figures out the real situation by episode 5 or 6, but by then The Diviner has turned on her. I’m okay with her chasing them down for a few episodes — that’s part of the fun. Hunt for Red October wouldn’t have been a very good movie if everyone figured everything out by the first act.

Indeed.
In fact, dragging out the Dauntless not understanding the situation until the end of the season seems like a bit of a stretch.
Prodigy does Trek right if you ask me, so let's hope the writers won't be dumbing down the crew like the live action had a tendency to do.

After all, there are many ways the Protostar could make contact with the Dauntless explaining the situation without opening subspace communications and allowing the weapon's activation.

Its possible that as the Dauntless catches up to the Protostar and Janeway hunting them, Janeway could notice they are doing 'good deeds' and behaving like Starfleet officers and this could directly contradict the potential lies the Diviner could be feeding Janeway (if he wakes up fine).

Gwyn was less affected because she saw a mere glimpse of a reflection... the Diviner on the other hand was exposed directly to Zero's real form in massive intensity - so I don't think he should be given a 'free pass' to recover so easily (Telepathic or not)... unless his species have something in their biology that would make them more resistant to Medusan real form.

Yes it does. As we should have assumed from the beginning, but people have dark imaginations I guess?

I think the problem with the people assuming the worst was because of lack of context. In episode 10, the Diviner was shown to have been left on Tars Lamora without his suit mumbling to himself and drawing some stuff in a circlular pattern.
For someone in his condition, he shouldn't have been able to feed himself, etc... so at least showing him with his suit on and maybe a few of the Watchers watching over and tending to him (with some food supplies in the background) would have given us proper context and prevent people from assuming the worst.

Maybe that last scene was rushed, hence it didn't have much of a context to start with. Trek wasn't always too good at wrapping things up by giving us context... but I'll give Prodigy a pass on this one due to the nature of the show and the fact its allowed to make occasional mistakes - plus, time constraints and rendering all of that could have been a pain (I do 3D animation, and trust me, you want to simplify things as much as you can - but at the same time, I try to make sure to relay proper context).

Indeed.
In fact, dragging out the Dauntless not understanding the situation until the end of the season seems like a bit of a stretch.
Prodigy does Trek right if you ask me, so let's hope the writers won't be dumbing down the crew like the live action had a tendency to do.

After all, there are many ways the Protostar could make contact with the Dauntless explaining the situation without opening subspace communications and allowing the weapon's activation.

Its possible that as the Dauntless catches up to the Protostar and Janeway hunting them, Janeway could notice they are doing 'good deeds' and behaving like Starfleet officers and this could directly contradict the potential lies the Diviner could be feeding Janeway (if he wakes up fine).

I think the other issue now is whether Starfleet believes anything they say. I’d imagine if Janeway catches wind that there are people who stole the ship posing as Starfleet and refugees, only to use that cover to destroy the station, they would be wary of further deception. At that point, Starfleet protocol would be to capture the ship and download its logs to corroborate their story… which as we saw with CR-721, it would result in disaster.

Not in an episode and not in a movie, therefore it's not canon.

By that definition, no. But they are written by the head writer/EP and have been confirmed to not contradict and fully align with the first 40 episodes, and are based on what the show and writers room is intending. So they provide interesting insight and context into the intent of the writers/showrunners.

Last edited:
Back