Spoilers Star Trek: Prodigy General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Prodigy' started by The Overlord, Oct 20, 2019.

1. Jinn

Jinn Mistress of the Chaotic Energies Rear Admiral

I remember, when I was ten years old and just got into Trek via Voyager re-runs I always loved it when they referenced other Trek shows (that I at that point didn't know anything about at all). That time Riker showed up was awesome, and I hadn't even seen TNG at that point (and I'd never grow to like TNG either!), and any time people with different uniforms showed just drew me more into the Trek universe. I think ten-year-old me would have absolutely loved this episode. Current-day me wasn't really that much into the use of old audio clips, but it was a cute idea and I can guarantee that ten-year-old me would not have noticed. And since the show's target demographic is a lot closer to ten-year-old me than current-day me I can't really fault it for this episode at all.

2. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored The Lunatic Is In My Head Moderator

And yet it was not unheard of to find Odo manning a bridge station on the Defiant, especially when there was a Changeling related story, such as in The Search and The Adversary. Likewise Garak manned a bridge station several times when the ship was doing something Cardassian related. Plus, the crews have had ex-Maquis, Klingon and other species exchange officers, T'Pol, and pre-Starfleet Wesley Crusher, so leaving an option to include non-Starfleet personnel on temporary assignment seems plausible.
    - It could be a different ceremonial ritual involving fighting a beast?
    - It could be from a pre-Surak-era, pre-Romulan diaspora gladiatorial games?
    - Maybe someone chose a great beast as their kal-if-fee champion? The rules seem pretty arbitrary as an offworlder like Kirk was chosen.
    - Maybe it's a large sapient being who volunteered to fight? We just saw its eyes.
    - Maybe it's just someone's pet sehlat or some other large Vulcan creature meant to intimidate? The Amok Time arena was Spock's ancestral lands, so if it's supposed to be the same place maybe it's another in a long line of family pet sehlats.
    Why do people thread-the-needle on rock formations or between trees while traveling 250 mph through a canyon in a wingsuit? Why do people base jump off of buildings and bridges barely high enough to deploy a chute in time? Why do people still climb Everest despite the number of deaths? Why do people freedive down 700 feet without oxygen and risk brain damage? Why is there a 156 mile, six day ultramarathon through the Moroccan Sahara? In Trek why do they orbital skydive?

Skydiving into a raging sandstorm and surviving on the surface until you're picked up is the ultimate adrenaline rush and point of pride. Plus there's probably the novelty of it being where Khan and his people survived. It's like briefly living vicariously through the pinnacle of human physicality.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2022
  3. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Why do people vacation in Florida and go gator hunting and riding boats in humid, sticky swamps full of mosquitoes? Because that's cool to a lot of people, apparently.

The upper atmosphere of a planet with the turbulence of Ceti Alpha V might be peak adventure to some 24th century sports enthusiasts.

Commander Troi and JoaquinSlowly like this.
  4. NCC-73515

NCC-73515 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

you should also look up what a clip show is. show me one scene in this one that was a flashback showing a scene from an earlier episode.

JoaquinSlowly likes this.
  5. cooleddie74

This was nothing like "Shades of Grey(TNG)." This was as far from "a clip show" as Earth is from the Gamma Quadrant.

6. Tim Thomason

Tim Thomason Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's not a clip show. It's vaguely like a clip show, in that they use vocal clips to pad out the story. But, of course, only a very few, and it would be impossible to do a clip show in a brand-new medium for Star Trek.

Clip show does not equal bad. Some of my favorite episodes of all times have been clip shows. Clerks, Simpsons, Xena (Kurtzman's alma mater) have all used clip shows to tell refreshing, brand new stories in exciting, innovative ways. I look forward to that happening on Star Trek some day. ... But that's not what this is.

This is more akin to a bottle episode, in that the entire story is apparently contained on the ship while it's just floating in space, with no real action or guest stars. Except, of course, the archival guest stars (and Gates McFadden and a teaser for Robert Beltran) and the holodeck set being used for the Enterprise-D bridge and a Klingon bridge (and a couple other teasers). I have a feeling that lots of Prodigy will be like this. You'll have action-heavy episodes, and then breathers to collect oneself and maybe move the mystery forward.

Commander Troi likes this.
  7. Tim Thomason

I'm not sweating Odo acting as Flight Controller. He's there because Dal picked him even though he's a security chief and probably Dominion expert. The program is flying the ship and the program is following Dal's orders. The "crew" are just personalities meant to give the Captain advice and pad out the stations. He could just as well used Hollywood actors and had James Dean at conn and Audrey Hepburn at Ops and gotten the same experience through movie clips.

Scotty runs tactical, Uhura does ship operations, and Spock and Crusher are just sitting there. Spock presumably to step in as an XO and translate orders from Dal. It's not necessarily the characters' strong suit.

8. NCC-73515

Odo is the security chief, Scotty the engineer. They just reconfigured the stations like in Bridge Commander ;)

9. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

The Incredible Hulk did some good clip shows...most notably "Mystery Man," the two-parter in which Jack McGee learned that "John Doe" transformed into the Hulk.

Tim Thomason and cooleddie74 like this.
  10. cooleddie74

Yeah, most of that two-parter was Bill Bixby wrapped in gauze bandages covering most of his face and dragging Jack McGee to safety after their plane crash. It was a most effective use of stock footage to build tension.

11. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

I was referring to the extensive use of flashbacks to previous episodes. AIR, McGee relates what he knows of the Hulk to Doe, and Doe/Banner has flashes of memories, all via clips from previous episodes. Going by vague memory, I think part one was more clip-centered, and part two was more about the here-and-now plot, but still used some clips.

I was particularly into TIH's clip shows because, when I was watching first-run, I'd missed a lot of the earlier episodes.

12. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Admiral Admiral

Lol not they weren't. Not at all.

NCC-73515 likes this.
  13. Tim Thomason

*shrugs* I disagree, as already explained above. Have a nice day, Tuskin.

14. NCC-73515

You both agreed and disagreed:
    ;)

Tim Thomason likes this.
  15. Tim Thomason

16. dupersuper

dupersuper Commodore Commodore

Is any one else in Canada getting the episodes a week late? My guide says Kobyashi won't be until next Thursday.

17. Commander Troi

Commander Troi Now 20% less crazy! Premium Member

Ditto! And I still have more pre-Crisis stuff in my head than any sane person should. :lol:

Based on the teens I know, having practically everything available on the Net makes them more likely to investigate stuff from other eras once their curiosity is piqued.

JoaquinSlowly likes this.
  18. StarMan

StarMan Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, I finally got around to watching the pilot today.

Up to episode 5. Yeah, that was not in today's plan.

I am floored at how much I'm enjoying this. What a curveball.

The opening credits and theme ... Holy hell. How awesome are they?

Edit: all caught up. Good grief. Quick fire random thoughts: Murf is just gorgeous. Big Red!? Heh. That vehicle replicator would've been particularly useful on Voyager *ahem*. Proper phaser beams for the win. Jason Mantzoukas! (bonus surprise when you haven't followed the development of the series). Could've sworn that was Emma Thompson voicing Zero.

Anyhoo - colour me impressed.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2022
  19. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

It'll almost certainly be episode 7 on next Thursday. Cable listings for CTV Sci-Fi Channel tend to be notoriously inaccurate. For the entirety of Disco's third and fourth seasons, they had the plot description for the season 2 premiere up, and for the entire recent season of Doctor Who, including the New Year's special they had a plot description and cast listing for the 1996 telemovie.

Kobayashi did air on CTV Sci-Fi this past Thursday, so next Thursday should be the seventh episode.

Avro Arrow likes this.
  20. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Admiral Admiral

Unless they fixed them after airing, they're fine on my DVR. But I'm sure the New Years one was correct the week before hm.

I am getting Prodigy showing the wrong episode info though. It does say Kobayashi for this weeks.