Spoilers Star Trek: Prey Trilogy - general discussion thread

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Kertrats47, Aug 8, 2015.

1. Jarvisimo

Jarvisimo Captain Captain

What do you mean?

2. Enterprise1701

Enterprise1701 Commodore Commodore

KRAD hasn't written for Pocket Books in some years because the editor(s) who knew and worked with him are no longer at Pocket.

Jarvisimo likes this.
  3. Jarvisimo

Jarvisimo Captain Captain

Oh you were talking about KRAD and editors (Marco) - I thought you meant something about an upcoming change of Publisher (i.e. Pocket/S&S).

However, Margaret Clark has been involved in Pocket for years, I just assumed (sadly) that she - or someone higher up - had a falling out or didn't like Keith. The same for Ed Schlesinger, also still at Pocket books and a former commissioner of Keith. Googling reveals Margaret gave Keith Q&A, not Marco, in Trek books. So it seems like Margaret or Ed could easily give him another book - but they do not.... pour quoi? Anyway, I guess it is old water under the bridge. But I hope the Klingon Art of War means at some point he will be doing novels again!

Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
  4. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

...really enjoyed pt. 1, looking forward to the rest.

5. dstyer

dstyer Commander Red Shirt

Surprisingly, my local library informed me that my reserved copy of book two The Jackal's Trick was in already! Even amazon lists it as a pre-order still!

6. JJMiller

JJMiller Writer Red Shirt

7. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Good news for the trilogy. Bad news for me because now I have to decide whether to switch my orders for the last two books!

8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Very cool. I wonder who's going to read it? I really wish they would go back to using Trek actors, that used to be a big draw for me back in the day.

9. JJMiller

Possibly it was decided later as they waited to see how the previous trilogy did, but that is pure speculation on my part.

No idea who will read, although of course it would be a blast to be read by one of the actors. I only today realized the actor who played the clone of Kahless was the Control Voice on The Outer Limits revival!

Markonian likes this.
  10. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I finally got book in the mail I look forward to getting to read it soon.

11. JJMiller

Official release day for The Jackal's Trick! My blog post is here.

And as promised after the playing cards from Book 1, here's one of the historic "props" that turns up in Book 2...

[​IMG]

Leto_II, Markonian and Csalem like this.
  12. Little_kingsfan

Little_kingsfan Commander Red Shirt

Another good book - although I don't know if I enjoyed it as much as Hell's Heart - and I definitely plan on rereading the entire thing as a trilogy after the last book comes out next month. Again, I kinda wish some other characters (I'm looking for President zh'Tarash and her staff, the I.K.S. Gorkon and its crew, maybe another Starfleet vessel) would make an appearance, but what we did see from the Enterprise and Titan were pretty cool. Lt. Kyzak is an interesting character, and I think Titan's new protocol officer, Lt. Xaatix, will be a welcome addition to the crew.

One quick question: did Lt. Šmrhová get a promotion to Lieutenant Commander? In her first appearance in this book, she was referenced as a Lt. Cmdr., but was subsequently always called Lieutenant. Given that the mention occurred while in the same sentence as Cmdrs. Worf and La Forge, I think it was simply a typo, but I wanted to be sure. Oh, and about Lt. Ethan Kyzak: given that he was an Ensign in the last Titan book (which was his first appearance, if I'm not mistaken), is he now a Lieutenant, junior grade or is he a full Lieutenant? I know some Starfleet officers (namely Lt. Rennan Konya, although I'm sure a few others from the Enterprise security detail also got the same treatment) jump from Ensign to Lieutenant, but since it's a lot easier in books to simply say Lieutenant and without a visual component to see if he's wearing a full or half pip, it's hard to tell who, if anybody, is a Lieutenant or Lt. (j.g.).

13. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

Received the book today, but first I have to read a couple of other books

14. JJMiller

The Šmrhová error is just that -- my bad, and only in that one spot as far as I can find. We'll revise it in the ebook and future printings. There is also an erroneous reference to Jarin rather than V'raak late in the book on page 370; same fix.

On the other hand, Kyzak is a lieutenant in all references in Sight Unseen. (But I did need to look!)

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
  15. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

I picked up my copy of "The Jackal's Trick" today. I was surprised when I flipped open the copyright page and saw that it was already in a second printing. The paper stock is also softer than usual for Trek novels.

16. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I got The jackal's trick in the mail in only a few days instead of waiting a whole month like I did for Hell's heart.

17. Hugh Cambridge

Hugh Cambridge Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

It happens sometimes.
    I thought it was because, being in France, I came behind US readers, which seems quite logical by the way, but apparently not.
    It is frustrating because I like my books to be first printings, but it does not alter the pleasure of reading good stories ;)

Besides I am currenly reading the Jackal's trick and enjoying it.
    I just would like a little more character-driven scenes but I also can do without since the plot is very interesting.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2016
    Jinn likes this.
  18. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

After reading Book 2 I have come to the opinion the Kinshaya are awesome and deserve more material. I would totally dig a Kinshaya novel.

Idran likes this.
  19. JWolf

JWolf Commodore Commodore

I have to say that Tony Todd was BEST as the older Jake Sisko in the DS9 episode The Vistor. He wa good as Worf's brother, but that pales in comparison to his Jake Sisko.

Jarvisimo likes this.
  20. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Tony Todd's awesome regardless his role. Be it Kurn, older Jake Sisko, or even that Hirogen on Voyager, the man rocks whenever he's on screen.

Jarvisimo, Idran and Paris like this.