Spoilers Star Trek Picard Season 2 Hopes and Predictions

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Picard' started by Lorcan Kelly, Mar 27, 2020.

1. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Harry Kim is the biggest offender. He was a copy of the original. No wonder he didn't get promoted!

Paul Weaver and SJGardner like this.
  2. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

And there's nothing wrong with that.

Everything that makes him Picard still exists inside the new body. All that matters is the memories.

His body died, but he didn't. His consciousness was transferred, not copied, to the new body.

Lord Garth and fireproof78 like this.
  3. Mondragon

Mondragon Commander Red Shirt

So Copy vs Transfer?
    Does this come down to if the original conscious is still existing, at the moment the new one is ?
    Since (if even for an instant) there are two (one copy one real) , only one can be the "real" (continued conscious) ) going fowrd, the other, as soon as it exists is already experiencing something different from the original.
    The original dying doesn't suddenly make the other the real one? It shouldn't work that way.
    Similar what if instead of one golem, his consciousness was transferred into several.
    Can each one be the "real" or "ongoing" Picard?
    They all going forward, have separate experiences. So no.
    Ergo the only real Picard is the one left for dead?
    This is a copy with different experience as soon as there were two, a real and a copy

Last edited: Mar 7, 2022
  4. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

If you can accept Spock as the same person from TSFS on, you can accept Picard from end of PIC S1 on as the same person.

Is a person a body or their mind and spirit? This is more of a theological question. Look at Sargon, Thalassa, and Henoch in "Return to Tomorrow" (TOS). Are those those the same people from centuries ago? I would say yes. And I thought that when I first saw the episode when I was a kid.

Hythlodeus likes this.
  5. Dar70

Dar70 Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes.

6. Dar70

Haha..:D

7. Dar70

I cant accept Picard as the same person. Because hes a robot now. Spock was restored as a human.

8. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

What makes a person is their memories and all that other brain stuff, this Golem has his memories, therefore he's just as much as Picard as he was before.

9. fireproof78

That's the simple answer for me. Picard is like Sargon, his consciousness in a jar with Data until moved in to a robot body. Simple, case closed.

Lord Garth likes this.
  10. Unimatrix Q

Unimatrix Q Commodore Commodore

Interesting that you ignore this post...

Last edited: May 25, 2021
    Search4 and SJGardner like this.
  11. eschaton

eschaton Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Then you've completely missed the entire point of the season, which is there is functionally speaking no difference in terms of worth between organic and synthetic life (at least in terms of their value as sentient beings).

Next you're going to tell me you don't think robo-Picard is self-aware right?

Llywela, Lord Garth, Midquest and 4 others like this.
  12. Paul Weaver

Paul Weaver Vice Admiral Premium Member

See Second Chances for exploring that theme. A shame in some ways that the mooted idea to promote Will to captain, have Data promoted to Exec, and have Tom as a junior officer, didn't come to pass, especially if Will kept coming back on occasion, perhaps even progressing to Admiral, and the effect it has on Tom.

13. Paul Weaver

Paul Weaver Vice Admiral Premium Member

*Raises eyebrow*

[​IMG]

14. eschaton

eschaton Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There was some technobabble involving quantum physics in Data's closing monologue. Quantum data is different from regular data in that it cannot be copied. If consciousness is actually a quantum phenomena, then consciousness cannot be copied, only transferred.

Of course, there have been other examples (like Tom Riker) where we have seen consciousness cloned, so as per usual Trek has been inconsistent.

15. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

And toss in an "I find your arguments strewn with gaping defects in logic."

16. Hythlodeus

Hythlodeus Commodore Commodore

Only 50% of him were human

SJGardner likes this.
  17. NCC-73515

NCC-73515 Vice Admiral Admiral

How were Kirk's and Picard's atoms doing when they were in the Nexus? :p

Oh, and remember Kim wasn't really the same Kim for almost the whole show - or was he?

KIM: I'm not sure. I mean, this isn't really my ship, and you're not really my captain, and yet you are, and there's no difference. But I know there's a difference. Or is there? It's all a little weird.
    JANEWAY: Mister Kim, we're Starfleet officers. Weird is part of the job.

18. Dar70

No, I got the point. Yes I do believe android Picard is as much self aware as Data. But hes a copy. He is more "human" than Data ever was. Because he has a copy of Picards memories.

19. fireproof78

But not Picard so who gives a :censored:?

20. Dar70

That Voyager episode is one of my all time favorite episodes ever of Star Trek. But i looked at it this way. They were all split. Like in the Farscape episode where the crew of Moya got "twinned". Each of them were equal and original.
    I got the same vibes from the Voyager episode. Each of them were equal and original.

Both the Voyager and Farscape episodes were excellent.