Star Trek Picard is not Star Trek

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Picard' started by Forever94, Feb 25, 2020.

1. Campe

Campe Vice Admiral Admiral

Just catching up. I posted this in another thread. Definitely think it applies here:

If I've said it once, I've said it a thousand times: In my opinion, there is no definitive Star Trek. At present, there are 782 Star Trek adventures in the TV and film space, not to mention hundreds of books, comic books, video games and other ancillary materials. It is impossible for everyone to agree on the definition of what makes Star Trek Star Trek. Whether its the adventure, the tech, the story, whatever, Star Trek is different things to different people. It has redefined itself so often. So to suggest TOS, TNG or Disco are the definitive Trek just isn't possible. One can suggest that a series is definitive for them. But we'll never all agree on that.

2. Crazyewok

Crazyewok Vice Admiral Admiral

Not another
    gEnEs ViSiOn

:lol:

3. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Three words... Star Trek: Discovery.

GaiusBaltarBand and Terok Nor like this.
  4. Gonzo

Gonzo Guest

That should be the title of the new thread.

Its a bit long I know. :biggrin:

Hythlodeus likes this.
  5. Gonzo

Gonzo Guest

If that is truly how it makes you feel then you should just walk away if it upsets you that much.

Or perhaps wait until the end of the season and binge it all at once, if the season ends on a high note watching it all the way through could make it tolerable for you.

If not then just stay away and don't watch it, unlike some members I don't mean that in a sarcastic or childish way. :techman:

Shaka Zulu likes this.
  6. Yminale

Yminale Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Enterprise is worse than Discovery. Discovery is slightly better than Voyager. I don't think anything will be as good as DS9

7. StarMan

StarMan Vice Admiral Admiral

Pft. You're a lot more generous than me. Trek's been on a downwards slide since they replaced Jeffrey Hunter with that toupee-wearing Canadian schmuck.

8. Terok Nor

Terok Nor Commodore Commodore

Discovery is a fantastic looking dumpster fire. Nothing in Trek is worse than it. You can put lipstick on a pig but it's still a pig.

ITDUDE, Dix and Nenya like this.
  9. Yminale

We are way past the point of a unified cannon and a unified fanbase. Star Trek can't and shouldn't please everybody. Conversely, not liking current Star Trek doesn't mean it isn't good.

10. Yminale

Fixed your comment

11. Gonzo

Gonzo Guest

I just think Discovery would have befitted from a first season of mainly stand alone episodes, to really get to know the crew so we would actually care, then at the end of S1 it could have switched into saving the Federation mode with a cliffhanger.

The outbreak of war with the Klingons would have been ideal for that, the MU and Shroom drive could have been left for S3/S4, they tried to do everything at once which would have been difficult enough in a 20 episode season never mind a 10.

All the other shows had that first season to establish the characters and set the scene and they may have a bit a bit boring for at times but they did serve a valuable purpose for later on, Discovery's relatively short 10 episode seasons made it even more of a problem.

At least with Picard they are focusing down on the character driven story details which helps the show a lot, all we need now is for the story to actually go somewhere, for the big secret to actually be worth all the buildup and to see some new/existing ships (the Romulan BoP was a good start).

The gore doesn't bother me as it was done to show us why Seven is the way she is.
    The slang doesn't bother me as it was well delivered by Laris character.
    I don't blame the Federation for looking to itself for a change, especially after a draining war with the Dominion.
    It also doesn't surprise me that it was ultimately politics that ended the Romulan Rescue not the attack on Mars, it makes it more believable.

Picard's idea and belief of what the Federation/Starfleet is has been tested to destruction, all we are waiting for now is Q and the circle will be complete, we may have to wait for the very last episodes of the whole series for that though.

TedShatner10 and Longinus like this.
  12. Grendelsbayne

Grendelsbayne Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

ENT was 'fantastic looking'? :vulcan:

13. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

But then they'll probably take it to the new show's forum. Unless the admins decide to leave it in Future of Trek, in which case I'm screwed.

I was thinking...
    ...but the admins do frown upon general profanity directly in the thread titles.

iarann, SJGardner and Gonzo like this.
  14. Terok Nor

Terok Nor Commodore Commodore

Enterprise is not fantastic looking. Looks like a bunch of mechanics hard at work.

Lord Garth likes this.
  15. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    Here's an early preview. I leave it to others to spot the players.

16. Gonzo

Gonzo Guest

Why not just call it

Picard: Cheeky Fecker

or

Star Trek: Cheeky Fecker

Turtletrekker likes this.
  17. urbandefault

urbandefault Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I hear Rick Berman isn't busy these days. :techman:

18. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Laris spin-off?

19. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

Don't tease!

20. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    Make it something like Miami Vice. Laris and Zhaban could easily be the new Crocket and Tubbs.

burningoil, Karellen, Gonzo and 4 others like this.