Spoilers Star Trek: Picard 3x10 - "The Last Generation"

Engage!

• Total voters
That was fucking perfect. Didn't think I'd like Titan being rechristened when I saw the spoilers, but I loved it.
Reminded me of what someone said about Spider-Man: No Way Home - "You thought you were watching the third Spider-Man movie, but you were really watching the Peter Parker / Spider-Man origin story in 3 parts."

This season turned out to be the USS Enterprise-G origin story. It's far better than just plopping a new ship in an end-of-episode cameo with a crew we don't know.

This is another example of Matalas being very very clever. It was 100% the right call. I thought they'd reactive the Enterprise-D permanently and give it a third nacelle to canonize the Galaxy-X (sort of) in prime, and put Riker in command. That is one of the last parts of All Good Things that didn't happen or have an echo in Picard. But the actual solution by Matalas was far, far, far better. Instead of forgetting about the Titan now that the Enterprise D had one last mission, we care about it more than ever.

Ah, thanks. Same Picard face, very similar other faces, a barely visible Titan, a mostly hidden cube, and a D with overglowing deflector and bussards. Not worth going to the Grove just for that :D

This was the poster provided at the LA (Grove) showing. One of the already-released publicity photos I believe.
52831056772_03e974e5d4_w_d.jpg

Season 3 was written before season 2 aired, and finished filming the same month season 2 started. DeLacie also said he filmed something for season 3 during season 2.

So no.
My theory now is that Q was dying. But only in Picard's timeline.

I don't know. What a mess it all is. :lol:

I would have had Data meet Soji or Dahj (I forget which one is dead) at the end. Have a father and daughter reunion.
I hoped that would be Data's send off too, but it would have been a different kind of ending.

I also kind of hoped the final bookend for the series would take place in the far, far, far, far future.... like in the 50th century or something, on Copelius, where Data still very much, with Soji next to him, gets done reading a story to none other than the recreated Lal. Picard Seasons 1-3 would have been Data telling his daughter he finally brought back far in the future how she was born.

But that too would have been maybe too metafictional for this show and would have opened a can of worms for fans. The ending we got is the right ending.

I’m sure it’s only the provisional Enterprise G. They’ll be building the actual one :)

They were lucky that beacon didn’t have shields. That would have been awkward

My theory now is that Q was dying. But only in Picard's timeline.

I don't know. What a mess it all is. :lol:
Nah not really. It's really, really good for Star Trek that Seasons 1 and 2 of Picard don't matter. But to be fair, we often gloss over how much of TNG Seasons 1-3, and DS9 seasons 1-2 and Voyager Season 1 got completely ignored by subsequent seasons and shows. Trek Continuity is perhaps the franchise's greatest fiction and Matalas wise was to retcon Q's dumb death, just like Season 2 retconned the super evolved Synths from beyond that may have killed the Tkon.

And don't look now, but if you saw the preview for SNW, guess what! Classic 80s-00s Klingons are back, baby and that Discovery Season 1/2 garbage is retconned straight to the garbage pile where it belongs!

Unless it gets specifically addressed by Matalas, or in another series, I think the Q appearance is open to interpretation. It could be Q from an earlier point in his life, with the show throwing us a bit of Doctor Who style wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey, or it could be after his 'death', as even in season 2 Q said he wasn't sure of what was actually happening, or what was going to come next.

What a total waste of time! A bunch of nostalgia-fueled non-sense....and absolutely perfect. Chef's kiss.

That was always just a theory. It’s never actually stated what the A was beforehand
Okay if that's not canon enough for you (even though it's uniformly the position of the producers and suggested by Gene Roddenberry himself and referenced as such in all licensed works in the 21st century) as precedent, good news, they did it again!

On DS9, the Sao Paulo became the USS Defiant. Ugly carpet and all.

The Titan is now the USS Enterprise-G

Unless it gets specifically addressed by Matalas, or in another series, I think the Q appearance is open to interpretation. It could be Q from an earlier point in his life, with the show throwing us a bit of Doctor Who style wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey, or it could be after his 'death', as even in season 2 Q said he wasn't sure of what was actually happening, or what was going to come next.
Doctor Who has made this point time and time again over the years. Star Trek never did but it's actually pretty universal. If you're an immortal being who can pop into linear time in any order, the order in which you show up on that timeline doesn't have to be linear at all. I remember years back looking at diagrams of the Doctor and River Song's encounters fans had made. Nominally, they were traveling in opposite directions. When laid out on paper, that was impossible, and it was wildly out of order.

Of course Matt Smith had that great line "I'm Twelve hundred and something, I think, unless I'm lying. I can't remember if I'm lying about my age, that's how old I am," The Doctor could have easily been a million years old before the stuff with the 12th and retcon of the 13th. Really who knows.

We'll see if we ever see Q again (I hope so), but they should draw on this. It would open up new potential to do different types of Qs.

I don't think we'll get a proper and final resolution for DS9 also.

We got a proper and final resolution for Star Trek: Deep Space Nine twenty-four years ago. It was entitled "What You Leave Behind, Parts I & II."

DS9 send off/reunion will not happen:

Sisko: Avery Brooks is not interested
Kira: Visitor did some LD stuff
Odo: Rene has passed, sadly
J. Dax: character killed
O'Brien: available, but really TNG

No, O'Brien is really more a DS9 character than a TNG character.

We came close when the original idea for the end of DS9 was for the federation to lose

That was never going to happen.

The fact that a Borg cube was hiding in Jupiter makes Starfleet seem even more incompetent.

As others have said, the cube only reached Jupiter immediately after Jack's hijacked shuttlecraft arrived, very shortly before Jack was assimilated and the signal sent out. The cube was at Jupiter for maybe an hour before the signal went out, at most.

Routing transporters through phasers, inventing the portable beam-me-up :D

"My mom got sick and my brother had a hernia" has to be what RMB called a big FU to Disco :D

Such a bizarre need to imagine some kind of hostility between the Matalas writing crew and the Paradise writing crew. These people are all colleagues.

I'll be honest the death star run was pretty stupid.

Nah, it was perfect.

I really tried to be moved by this episode in same way that people were moved by the last episode. I wanted to let the reused music cues, the actual, final TNG reunion with crew have an impact on me... and it just didn't. I totally understand people who will love this and consider this the best Trek has done of the 5 modern shows, and I can respect that opinion, but I think this show has just reminded me that the version of me that lived in the 90s is probably gone... and I can't help but be sad about that.

I mean, yeah, 90s Trek is over. PIC is very much a send-off for that Berman-era vibe.

The fact that there's no reason why the destruction of Earth would lead to the downfall of the Federation (which is actually canon in Discovery due to the fact that the Federation continued even after Earth quit),

I mean, it's not that Earth leaving the Federation would lead to its downfall. It's that if Earth falls, the entire Federation Council, Supreme Court, and President, and Starfleet Headquarters, are all down there -- so we're talking the decapitation of the entire Federation government in one day. And, the entire Starfleet fleet is apparently all in Earth orbit -- all 7,000 ships -- so the only defense the rest of the Federation would have would be whatever member world space forces remain outside of Starfleet's org chart (the Vulcan Defense Force, the Andorian Imperial Guard, etc.) and whatever civilian ships they can press into service.

That's a very different thing from United Earth legally seceding and the Federation government and Starfleet Headquarters moving off-planet.

how the Borg Queen ignores the fact that Janeway blew her up and is obsessed with Picard,

I mean, listen. The show is Star Trek: Picard, not Star Trek: Janeway, and Star Trek: First Contact already established that the Queen had a fixation on him. It's fine for her to blame the Federation collectively for Janeway's neurolytic pathogen and to take that anger out on Picard.

how a small batch of Changelings from Section 31 managed to procreate and create thousands of themselves,

We don't know how many rogue Changelings were at play. It could be only a hundred or so. Being able to remotely hack into Starfleet transporters to reprogram them to insert Borg DNA is not something that requires the physical presence of a Changeling aboard every affected starship and station.

the fact that every young person in Starfleet should have deep trauma from killing their own crews,

Of course they do. But this episode isn't about that. You might as well be upset that "The Best of Both Worlds, Part II" didn't focus on the trauma of the survivors of Wolf 359.

the fact that they couldn't work out Whoopi Goldberg's schedule to have Guinan be at her own bar despite mentioning her,

Yeah, that was disappointing. But her character was mentioned fondly, and it was great to see her in S2.

missing an opportunity to namedrop or show Wesley when Jack gets through Starfleet like a wunderkind,

Honestly I didn't like the idea of Jack joining Starfleet. I get a little tired of the way Star Trek acts like out of 150 planets across 8,000 light-years, the only career of any value is becoming a space cop.

even Raffi and Seven's relationship being glossed over...

Yeah, I didn't like that part. But as far as I'm concerned, they're back together.

I guess my only other big criticism is that this probably would have been much better as a movie or a miniseries and maybe in that context I would have been lost in the nostalgia a lot more. But of course they were obligated to make a third season of Picard instead, so it is what it is.

I'm not really clear what the meaningful distinction would even be between a miniseries and a season of PIC.

Are the Borg finally defeated... for real this time?

It would appear! We could probably see another branch of them at some point, and we could see independent collectives like Jurati's, but I hope this is the last we see of the Borg proper.

Good lord, how many people in Starfleet died?

A shit-ton.

Did the Spacedock blow up?

Yes. We saw it go kaboom.

What about the Changeling infiltration? Oh the new transporter protocols caught one...

And presumably Crusher also designed other sensor modifications to find them. Though I imagine a bunch of surviving Changelings probably just got out of Dodge once they saw on the news that the Borg had been defeated, so there likely aren't many Changelings left to catch.

The com badges go AGT-style gold before the time jump.

This is an incredibly small detail that does not matter.

Tuvok is safe... Shelby ahh who cares.

Shelby is dead. We saw her surrounded by assimilated Enterprise-F crewmembers shooting her with phasers at point-blank range. There is no reasonable possibility she survived.

Hell, who even cares about the fate of the Enterprise-F?

Yeah, I don't think they adequately established why the Enterprise-F was taken out of commission after the Borg Crisis. I know an earlier episode established it was going to be decommissioned early, but they didn't draw enough attention to that for the re-christening of the Titan-A into the Enterprise-G to feel intuitive.

But we do have a Chekov cameo for a full circle TOS presence, albeit his son(!).

That was a little fan-wanky but I'll allow it. Though I have to admit that I'm slightly bummed that my headcanon that Nanietta Bacco from the novels was elected President after PIC S1 has presumably now been nullified by canon. Oh well!

I'm super glad Q's death was retconned.

I'm not. I'm tired of dead characters coming back to life.

That must have been something that wasn't part of the original season 2 plan.

I see no reason to think that.

I disagree. This shows its possible to have an in-continuity continuation of 24th century Star Trek under modern serialized storytelling. There's so much world building from 21 seasons of shows that could faithfully be followed up from.

I mean, sure, but even a Star Trek: Legacy series would not exactly be a continuation of 90s Trek at this point. The vibe would be too different in too many ways, no matter how much you use LCARS on your set decorations.

Yeah, he was already 48 by GEN and if President Chekov is anywhere close to Walter Koenig's real world age then he wouldn't have been born until Pavel was about 80 himself.

That checks out. Pavel was born in 2245, so if President Chekov is about 80 in 2401, then he would have been born circa 2321, when Pavel would have been 76. All quite do-able, especially since we're literally watching a show about a guy who became a dad at around 75.

It seems going by Prodigy (where it's implied that the Kazon basically took over the old Borg transwarp conduits) and here that after Voyager Endgame the Fed basically just left the Borg alone to wither to death. I'm very surprised that Admiral Nechayev, who was so eager to use Hugh as a virus, didn't issue an order to basically hunt down all remaining Borg ships and eliminate them.

Who's to say she didn't? Or, rather, that the Federation President didn't order that all Borg ships be found and their crews liberated? But as far as we know, the only Borg ships the Federation ever encountered after 2378 was the Artifact from PIC S1 and the cube from PRO "Let Sleeping Borg Lie." The crew of the Protostar wouldn't have known to try to destroy it or liberate its crew, and wouldn't have had the capacity to do so anyway. The Artifact, meanwhile, was in Romulan space and under Romulan control. (And at least one PRO writer has speculated that the cube from PRO later became the Artifact.)

Also the Borg cube here in complete disrepair was not at all like the basically normal, functional Borg cube seen in Prodigy. Not necessarily a hard contradiction per se but it is odd. Unless the damage was compounded by the synth vision the Borg assimilated as mentioned in Season 1?

Well, the Admonition the Borg assimilated in S1 presumably only affected the Artifact, which may or may not have been the cube from "Sleeping Borg." But we know that cubes that don't have a Queen aboard and which have been cut off from the Queen can sometimes maintain functional mini-collectives for a time, because assimilation involves a certain amount of brainwashing. Presumably that's what happened with the one in "Sleeping Borg." That one was also dormant at first -- presumably its mini-collective would eventually have broken down and the ship ended up in disrepair. Remember, "Let Sleeping Borg Lie" is set in 2384, only six years after "Endgame, Part II," while "The Last Generation" is set 23 years after "Endgame" and 17 years after "Sleeping Borg." That's a lot of time for the Queen's situation to degenerate.

Why was it necessary to attack Spacedock? Surely there must be Borg drones there too.

Apparently Spacedock's weapons systems weren't hacked by the Fleet Formation program and therefore could be used to defend against the hijacked fleet, and their control center was able to remain under Starfleet control.

And whatever happened to quantum torpedoes?

Writers have been forgetting about quantum torpedoes since NEM in 2002. But I don't remember anything explicitly precluding quantum torpedoes from being at play in this episode?

What was Seven even trying to achieve?

She was trying to get the Borgified ships to attack the Titan rather than Spacedock, thereby allowing Spacedock to stay operational longer and defend Earth's surface longer, in the hopes that doing so would buy enough time for the Enterprise to destroy the Borg Queen. It was pretty clearly established in dialogue.

We've heard all season long in dialogue and by TPTB what an underdog the Titan is. And then she's going to battle 200+ more advanced vessels?

She didn't expect to survive the battle. It was a delaying tactic she anticipated would end in death.

Likewise the TNG crew went up against a massive cube without a plan.

And how is that any different from doing the exact same thing in "The Best of Both Worlds" or Star Trek: First Contact?

It was only due to the Borg Queen's idiotic need to explain her plan to Picard that they survived.

Well, no, it was because the cube was barely operational and devoting most of its energy to broadcasting the control signal.

So let me get this straight. Jack Crusher after willingly going to the Borg Queen which allowed her to set her plan in motion killing hundreds/thousands, doing some Locutus-cosplaying and doing absolutely nothing to save the day gets rewarded with a Starfleet commission?

Or, Jack, after years of heroic service with the Mariposas in defense of marginalized people throughout the galaxy in defiance of unjust laws, after helping uncover the Changeling infiltration of Starfleet and defeating the Changeling boarding party aboard the Titan, and then after becoming quite possibly the first fully assimilated being in known history to reject assimilation and re-assert his individual personality in spite of the obvious mind-control he had been operating under ever since Troi opened the Red Door in his brain, was given a Starfleet commission.

Thank good Starfleet has its priorities straight. Introducing a new shinier Starfleet combadge mere hours/days (?) after that catastrophe. Speaking of costumes: Picard, La Forge and Riker were still wearing the same clothes one year later. And apparently there wasn't enough budget left for correct admiral pips for Beverly.

This is a level of petty that is ridiculous.

In the end I'm just glad that they didn't kill off anybody of the TNG main crew. The show ended with them playing poker just like in "All Good Things" which I very much prefer as the end of TNG.

Honestly I would have preferred it end with the heroic and loving death of Jean-Luc Picard.

In 1994 I watched "All Good Things..." on my Parent's TV in a living room. I was 11 years old.
Now, 29 years later, I own that house. I'm 39 years old. And I got to watch "The Last Generation" in the same room.

That's awesome. :)

Death is horrifically overused in fiction nowadays. Particularly within the last 15 or 20 years. Maybe it reflects boomers coping with aging, or some long term dark place our society has moved into since 9/11, but death has creeped into comic books, TV shows, movies and books to to a degree that is both overwhelming and unhealthy.

:/ I'm sorry, but to act like the subject of death is somehow new to fiction or is being used more than it used to be used in fiction is just... not a realistic assessment of the situation. Death has always been common in fiction because, y'know, it's kind of the fundamental fact of human life and always has been. It's the only truly universal human experience.

If anything, I'd say popular fiction doesn't really use death enough, since so often it's more "death" than death because characters get resurrected so often.

I, like many people, walked into this Episode expecting Picard or Worf to die. But it didn't happen, and I know why now. Because Matalas and his team smartly realized that it would have been fundamentally stupid to repair the mistake of Nemesis after 20 years of breaking up the family in a tragedy (Data's death) by bringing it back together in an epic story, finally bringing and humanizing Data, bringing back the Enterprise D, only to snap all the action figures of these characters in half in our face an episode later. That would have been fucking with us. What purpose will it have surved? To make us sad about loss? How about tears of joy instead. And that's what Matalas and co. chose.

Strongly disagree. Star Trek: Picard has always been a series about finding meaning, purpose, and love in the face of grief and mortality. It would have been thematically appropriate for Jean-Luc Picard, having been given a reprieve at the end of "Et in Arcadia Ego, Part II," to finally pass in "The Last Generation."

I think Matalas and co knew this too. They dangled the "Picard dies", "Worf dies", "Riker dies", "let's make the audience feel loss" bait in our faces, and then threw it in the fire.

More fiction needs to do this, not just for the sake a franchise or future episodes, but for society. A society reflects how it sees itself through it's creative works. Star Trek Picard is really the first series in a long, long time that gives its audience PERMISSION to believe in the happy ending after a long struggle, rather than cry in their pillow at terrible loss.

I think I'd rather see a series that gives us happy endings and mortality. Because there's a point where having characters who never die and always get resurrected... it's just dishonest. That's not a happy ending, that's a lie.

Which, y'know, whatever. "The Last Generation" was a fun episode and I enjoyed it. But I would have rather seen the salvation of the Federation, the heroes go on to live happy lives, new life in the form of the next next generation, alongside the death of Jean-Luc Picard. Because death is a part of life, no matter how much we pretend otherwise.

SEVEN OF NINE. IS CAPTAIN. OF THE ENTERPRISE.
RAFFI. IS FIRST OFFICER. OF THE ENTERPRISE.

That is pretty cool. :)

That's rates a ten all by itself. Jack basically being third officer is a bit much for an Ensign, but I don't mind that he's in Starfleet.

I don't think he's second officer. He's "special counselor to the captain," probably similar to Troi's role aboard the Enterprise-D. But Troi wasn't second officer. That's probably Mura.

I liked all of the old school effects they used for the D. I also liked how nimble they portrayed the ship, something they really couldn't do back in TNG itself.

I did love seeing the Enterprise-D move under modern CGI capabilities.

But killing Q was a dumb gimmick by Akiva Goldsman who needed Matalas to bail him out in Season 2.

Citation needed.

I hope that they release a feature length cut of Episodes 9 and 10 together as "Star Trek XI: The Last Generation", and continue the roman numeral prime universe trek movies as P+ films in such a fashion.

Why? Star Trek: Generations was not a sequel to Star Trek: The Motion Picture, it was a film continuation of Star Trek: The Next Generation. Continuing the sequels past The Undiscovered Country makes no sense.

I still don't buy Crusher and Picard being together. They seem too alike. I thought Laris challenged him.

Well, "The Last Generation" is ambiguous on that part. They could be together, or Jack could just have a nice photo of them at some fancy dinner together. (I think I recognize that picture as being of Patrick Stewart and Gates McFadden at -- I want to say they're at LeVar Burton's wedding in the early 90s, but I'm not sure.)

Personally, I'm torn. On one hand, I'm a longtime Jean-Luc/Beverly shipper. On the other hand, it feels kind of disrespectful to Laris and to the dramatic integrity of PIC S2 to have him dump her over Space Zoom for Beverly.

Back