Spoilers Star Trek: Picard 2x10 - "Farewell"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Picard' started by Commander Richard, May 4, 2022.

?

Rate the episode...

1. 10 - Excellent!

31.0%
  2. 9

24.3%
  3. 8

16.3%
  4. 7

10.5%
  5. 6

3.8%
  6. 5

2.9%
  7. 4

2.5%
  8. 3

3.8%
  9. 2

1.3%
  10. 1 - Terrible!

3.8%
  1. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

DaveyNY from Skin-Neck-Ta-Dee (Schenectady)
    Heh ... naah, she'll just threaten to displace them into a bulkhead. ;)

IMC Headquarters likes this.
  2. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Keel-hauling 24th/25th century style ;)

3. PicardHitbyTesla

PicardHitbyTesla Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

No

4. Yistaan

Yistaan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's too merciful, I heard beaming them into walls really squashes dissent more effectively from any other crew that might be thinking of defying her.

5. ThreeEdgedSword

ThreeEdgedSword Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Btw... There was really no reason for Tallinn to die, other than the writers going, "we want to sacrifice herself 'cause that's more dramatic". Knowing he wanted to attack her (Renée), she could have simply knocked him out/ stunned him/ whatever.

Uhura's Song and Mr Awe like this.
  6. PicardHitbyTesla

PicardHitbyTesla Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Then why did they devote multiple conversations to telling people not to make butterfly effects or change history?

7. ThreeEdgedSword

Nah, it'll be enough for her to just wiggle her Borg fingers...

8. fireproof78

Because they don't know the rules. Picard had no assurances from Q this time that time would not necessarily be protected. They had to assume to be careful rather than *finger snap* all's well.

SJGardner and DaveyNY like this.
  9. Yistaan

Guinan immediately gives Picard what he wants once she hears his name. While the writers say otherwise, strictly speaking their interviews aren't canon and we can pretend Guinan did indeed remember Time's Arrow and just never bothered to mention it with everything going on (for what it's worth, Picard remembers Time's Arrow and never mentions it either, not even as a method of testing the timeline changes). Same with Punk on the Bus, he remembered Spock we can say. Nothing onscreen actually prevents us from ignoring the writers' take on time travel this season.

Quite frankly I'm more concerned that Rios literally had decades to tell Guinan about the assimilation of El Auria, and whatever it was presumably El-Auria was still assimilated.

Reanok likes this.
  10. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Trek's past attitude towards altering the future has ranged from "don't even think about it because I don't want to have to memorize a bunch of new kings" to "how do we know he didn't invent transparent aluminum?" If Rios no longer had any 24th and 25th century tech with him his avenues of altering the future are pretty minimal as even getting drunk and ranting about the future can just be dismissed as being drunk and ranting.

SJGardner, burningoil and DaveyNY like this.
  11. fireproof78

Relativity pretty much axed any concern I have for time travel. It's an "I don't give a shit" type of a rule, as SF Debris would call it.

12. Charles Phipps

Charles Phipps Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Also, its entirely possible Guinan didn't remember until she had a few reminders. I mean, a LOT of weird time travel and other adventures could have happened to Guinan between it.

SpocksOddSocks likes this.
  13. Yistaan

Rios may not be able to impact Earth's future because no one will believe him, but he can very much affect things intergalactically via Guinan. As I mentioned, possibly including preventing the assimilation of El-Auria.

14. fireproof78

Do we know when they were assimilated?

15. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

DaveyNY from Skin-Neck-Ta-Dee (Schenectady)
    So Guinan essentially could have known about that in advance, but chose to not interfere with her planets destiny...

Pretty much sounds exactly like something Guinan would do.

fireproof78 likes this.
  16. ThreeEdgedSword

Well, the butterfly effect means that he could change the tl simply for being there, and small changes accumulate exponentially. For example... maybe the person Teresa would have gotten together with, had she not met him, now died bitter and lonely and before that, invented a terrible thing. In reality, these effects would be much more subtle and would take longer to have serious effects. Otoh, maybe the person who does now not get with her, now gets run over by a bus. Not a big thing in the grand scheme of things, but a huge change for this person. And so on, and so on...

Reanok and Bgt like this.
  17. Charles Phipps

Charles Phipps Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Alas, he'll be too busy dodging WW3.

But the bullets in the chateau are about as close to, "this is is a predestation paradox" as we're going to get.

ThreeEdgedSword likes this.
  18. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Being in Morocco at the time of his death makes me wonder just how involved he gets in the international tensions leading up to 2053. He may have been in the thick of the collapse of the international order.

19. Yistaan

Picard: what happened to ricardo?

Guinan: what do you mean what happened to Colonel Philip Ricardo Green, world war 3 war criminal? You already know.

Picard: :(

20. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

For a split-second, right before Q said "You matter to me", I thought he was going to kiss Picard.