Spoilers Star Trek: Picard 2x10 - "Farewell"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Picard' started by Commander Richard, May 4, 2022.

?

Rate the episode...

1. 10 - Excellent!

30.5%
  2. 9

24.6%
  3. 8

16.1%
  4. 7

10.6%
  5. 6

3.8%
  6. 5

3.0%
  7. 4

2.5%
  8. 3

3.8%
  9. 2

1.3%
  10. 1 - Terrible!

3.8%
  1. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Vice Admiral Admiral

That works too!

Deks likes this.
  2. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

Laris may be PIcard's age.

3. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Wasn't Gary Seven from the 20th century, though, and just sent across the galaxy by his superiors with that advanced transporter beam? His ancestors were taken from Earth and raised on that world and Gary was sent there in 1968 as part of his mission as a human who could blend in.

I don't think any time travel was involved in that TOS episode other than the Enterprise's. If he knew they were from the future then he put two and two together or had access to his superiors' temporal data.

StarMan and urbandefault like this.
  4. Charles Phipps

Charles Phipps Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I now want @Christopher to write a Department of Temporal Investigations where they determine Wesley Crusher is a time criminal of epic proportions but can't arrest him due to being intimately tied to their history.

I mean, Picard Season 2 deserves its own novella I would read the **** out of. :)

SJGardner, JRob94 and Judith Sisko like this.
  5. Charles Phipps

Charles Phipps Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes, but his superiors were nebulous enough to have time travel. Gary 7 himself could from the Delta Quadrant or Wild West town.

6. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Vice Admiral Admiral

DaveyNY from Skin-Neck-Ta-Dee (Schenectady)
    Someone else mentioned this earlier but it's a perfect head-canon correction ...

Imagine the phenomenon as being the physical embodiment of Q's death.

7. Caeruleus

Caeruleus Lieutenant Red Shirt

They didn't explain how Guinan of 2024 is not aware of Picard from 19 century when she met him there.

8. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    When some Q die they manifest as a very powerful explosion of energy.

Bgt, IMC Headquarters and DaveyNY like this.
  9. Seven of Five

Seven of Five Stop. Hemmer time! Premium Member

In regards to Wesley, I thought that in season one, he was a bit of a trainwreck. I think he improved in season two, though.

I was pleasantly surprised to see Wesley pop up. I was wondering if he would be a part of the big reunion for S3.

A 9 for the final episode, for me. Picard's final words with Q really got to me, as did Picard realizing that Jurati was the Borg Quee Seeing her and Starfleet working together to solve the impending disaster, and then asking for temporary Federation membership to guard whatever had been created was a lovely Star Trek moment.

The Borg were a real highlight of the season, and I can't remember the last time I said that. :borg:

Rios has been wasted all year, but at least he had a nice bit of closure. Elnor's death felt a bit pointless as well after Q brought him back to life.

Has Soji left the show as well now that she's becoming a Traveller? She's another one who's been a bit lost this season.

10. DaveyNY

They didn't have to.
    That event didn't happen with the rise of the Confederation timeline.

Just write it off as more of Q's chicanery.

11. Deks

Deks Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There IS a difference between making first contact with a species until its deemed ready and observing (and possibly lending a hand) from a certain distance.
    What the Travellers are apparently doing in Earth's past is more or less the equivalent to UFP studying alien cultures of interest up close (but without initiating First Contact if the said alien species are not Warp capable and mostly not interfering - the Travellers on the other hand are more or less in charage of time... so they kinda have to keep an eye out on it).
    The UFP hadn't been deemed interesting to the Travellers (in terms of initiating formal FC) until the second half of the 24th century.

So, no particular issue there.

I liked Wesley as a character.
    I don't think I ever particularly identified with him, but it was nice to see an intelligent teen being actually recognized by adults and treating him as an equal. Most of the time, adults seem to mainly dismiss teens and kids.

12. GulBahana

GulBahana Commander Red Shirt

So, the travelers are like the timecops?

13. Roald

Roald Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I still think it’s because in the timeline as it was then, the Federation would never exist….

14. eschaton

eschaton Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, but on the other hand the episode seemed to imply that they destroyed/prevented the Confederation timeline, rather than just splitting off the Federation timeline.

Does that mean if Picard checked back in with Guinan before going back to the future she would be all "Of course I remember you from 19th century San Francisco! You don't remember having this discussion already?"

15. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Admiral Admiral

Wil says he’d never play Wesley again, and technically he was right. He’s playing the Traveller that used to be Wesley Crusher
    ;)

16. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yes.
    Even when they don't they treat them as mini adults rather than recognizing the brain differences that drive behaviors.

17. ThreeEdgedSword

ThreeEdgedSword Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

For me, it was a decent wrap of a very uneven and ultimately disappointing season.

Most has already been said and pointed out, I skimmed part of this thread.

I didn't need the Wesley thing, it didn't bother me much, either. Problem is, they didn't make me care much for Kore, so... whatever.

Both de Lancie (as the awesome actor I've discovered he is) and Q - considering this was his effing swan song! - were severely underused. And while his final interactions with Picard were good, it could have been so much better/ more.

Few nitpicks. For some reason it really bothered me that they had enogh time in Tallinn's place for Seven to change into a fresh shirt. You know, one not soaked in blood.

I will miss most of these characters, but I'm glad the season is over, which is probably the most damning thing I could say about my favorite new Trek show. The finale definitely didn't retroactively make the season better, but I never expected that. I think it may partly have suffered from what they intend to do in season 3, in that they made the plot fit to where they wanted everyone to be in the end, rather than evolve organically from the characters. One example would be the way they disposed of Rios.

Nice call-backs, like the Khan file, but those things mean nothing to me when the important elements are just so-so.

No idea how I'll rate this.

StarMan, gweeps, Mr Awe and 2 others like this.
  18. DaveyNY

I'll say it again, it was all set up by Q.

So the usual Time Travel & Multiple Universe rules we normally see in Trek go out the window.

19. IMC Headquarters

IMC Headquarters Screencaptioning Addict Premium Member

I wonder if Seven will space crew members who get out of line?

gweeps likes this.
  20. Yistaan

Yistaan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Beverly: I know you were once Wesley Crusher my son.
    Gary Seven's boss: That name no longer has any meaning for me!

Next Wesley will be powering through a hallway of screaming people with his traveler powers. In fact, why hasn't Elnor done this already?