Spoilers Star Trek: Picard 2x04 - "Watcher"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Picard' started by Commander Richard, Mar 23, 2022.

?

Rate the episode...

1. 10 - Excellent!

13.7%
  2. 9

14.1%
  3. 8

25.9%
  4. 7

20.0%
  5. 6

9.8%
  6. 5

5.4%
  7. 4

4.9%
  8. 3

1.0%
  9. 2

0.5%
  10. 1 - Terrible!

4.9%
  1. Photoman15

Photoman15 Commodore Commodore

Two timelines cannot exist at the same time. Here in 2024, on April 15th, Q (or Picard) did/didn't do something that leads to the Federation or the Confederation. The PIC crew that came from 2402 is from the Confederation "choice". Q's interference made the Confederation scenario THE timeline. Picard (, Data et al) never went to the 1890's to meet Guinan nor Twain. So, Guinan never met Picard. Other time travel (episodes/movies) like TVH or Assignment Earth (which may be important here), or the other ones may have still happened, but for different reasons.

2. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk Garth of Algar Premium Member

Doesn't the same thing happen everywhere? In Doctor Who we have a Dutch painter living in France who has a Scots accent. (for some wibbly wobbly reason) And for some reason various Brit accents have propagated across the universe and time, (including 18th France)

3. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Admiral Admiral

This is the first episode this season where it felt like you could see the paint still drying. Like it felt like a bunch of obligatory pieces stitched together which took away from it for me.

Why was Seven driving like that? Usually people in an unfamiliar vehicle don't just slam the accelerator to the floor and never let up. That really made it hard for me to stay lost in the story.

The punk was fun but boy this whole adventure has really had Star Trek IV stamped all over it (with smatterings of First Contact). Though I suppose like Worf's comment about Klingons looking different there will have to be some show ten years now that will explain how he is there instead of just being a cute winking moment.

4. Dukhat

Dukhat Vice Admiral Admiral

Not just accents, but more and more, actors are being cast for other reasons rather than the qualities that their character as written should have. Take Agnes Jurati for example. I’m almost 100% positive that the character was supposed to be of Indian or Pakistani origin, yet we get a blonde haired blue eyed, socially awkward American instead.

5. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    You mean a British production uses British actors? Is that why all the folks on TV are speaking Korean here? Madre de Dios!

Nerys Myk likes this.
  6. Akiraprise

Akiraprise Vice Admiral Moderator

Are you trying to make a grown moderator cry? :lol:

Topic: Tuvix
    Poster 1: Janeway is an inconsistently written murderer. Poster 2: Janeway was put in an unwinnable situation. So you sanction murder? No, she was trying to protect her crew mates. Tuvix was a crew mate and she murdered him. She rectified a technological malfunction. No, she murdered an innocent being; Tuvok and Neelix were dead. But she was able to bring them back. (Insert 25 more pages) Thread flies off the rails. Mod closes thread. :ouch:

On topic I haven't been able to watch this episode of PIC yet but if there are 67 pages to this thread already I'm sure it's a doozy.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2022
  7. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Vice Admiral Admiral

It's a fun episode, overall, but the depiction of ICE sparked some spirited debate. Let's just call it that.

And Jammer came down too harsh on it, I think.

SolarisOne likes this.
  8. Nerys Myk

MA has Jurati's original name as being "Sarton" No info on why it became "Jurati". And "Agnes" probably isn't common on the Sub-continent. It's also a word in Latin related to juris. And of course by the twenty fourth-fifth Century the relationships between names and ethnic origins will become more and more distant. The last Jurati with only an Indian background could be centuries past.
    I expect a similar discussion will come up about Una Chin-Riley. :lol:

9. Nerys Myk

To be fair, 60 pages are just ICE and time travel.

10. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    Does the Temporal ban of the 30-something era have ICE Time Agents?

11. Photoman15

Photoman15 Commodore Commodore

Raffi: Where'd you learn to drive this kind of vehicle?
    7: Admiral Paris taught me when I was on Voyager
    Raffi: Owen Paris taught you, on Voyager. He was never posted to Voyager
    7: Not Owen. His son Tom. Were were stuck in the Delta Quadrant for a while.

12. brandnewfan

brandnewfan Commander Red Shirt

This one seemed like a step back for me.

13. Longinus

Longinus Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In any case, I actually liked the episode overall. Going from the dystopian future to its origins in our present was pretty powerful, and given the amount of whining, it seemed to hit the nerve as it should. This is exactly the sort of social commentary I want from Star Trek.

I mostly liked the younger Guinan, and I feel her being mad made sense. Though I really hope we will see this version again, and see her taking steps towards becoming the Guinan we know. And the actor did good job.

And as many others, I found the time travel logic confusing, and I feel it was objectively badly conveyed. The punk (which I loved) definitely implied that he remembered Spock. And sure, you can 'well technically' it, but let's not pretend that it was not the obvious implication. So it is no wonder if after this call-back the viewers were primed to expect Guinan bit working with the same logic. I don't expect time travel making much sense, and I can accept the timeloop erasing 'Time's Arrow' events, (makes sense from certain perspective) but I would expect it to at least work according the same logic for the whole episode!

Last edited: Mar 27, 2022
    jackoverfull likes this.
  14. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    When ICE time travels it turns back into water.

15. Nerys Myk

That flows horribly
    I'd go minimal
    Raffi: Where'd you learn to drive this kind of vehicle?
    7: Paris

16. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    "How do you know to drive a 21st century Earth automobile?"

"Tom Paris was more useful than just being a pilot. Though not by much."

jackoverfull likes this.
  17. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

He was also the field medic, rock climbing expert and commando.

18. TimeIsAPredator

TimeIsAPredator Commodore Commodore

[​IMG]

SolarisOne and Jayson1 like this.
  19. TimeIsAPredator

TimeIsAPredator Commodore Commodore

What makes you believe that Jurati should be Asian ?

20. gweeps

gweeps Fleet Captain Captain

This would have been cool.

I don't think there's been any mention of Voyager. But it has been over 20 years, so...