Spoilers Star Trek: Picard 2x03 - "Assimilation"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Picard' started by Commander Richard, Mar 16, 2022.

?

Rate the episode...

1. 10 - Excellent!

10.8%
  2. 9

17.5%
  3. 8

43.4%
  4. 7

20.5%
  5. 6

4.2%
  6. 5

1.2%
  7. 4

0.6%
  8. 3

0.6%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1 - Terrible!

1.2%
  1. Yistaan

Yistaan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Covid filmmaking. The alternative was not getting any Picard at all right now, so I'm fine with it.

Markonian, Reanok and Turtletrekker like this.
  2. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I didn't notice. What scenes, specifically?

SJGardner and jackoverfull like this.
  3. ThreeEdgedSword

ThreeEdgedSword Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I know, but maybe at least avoid action scenes?

4. UssGlenn

UssGlenn Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Our Elnor has only been through one year of the Acadamy, FYI

This is reminiscent of Chekov in Spectre of the Gun. He dies early and just pops back into place on the bridge at the end not realizing any extra time has passed.

5. ThreeEdgedSword

Many scenes when there were more than 2 people in the room. A couple that stuck in my mind:

When Rios held Raffi back (after Hubby had struck down Seven); when before leaving the Sirena, Seven talked to Picard... Actually, pretty much everyone with Picard...

Maybe I even see this when it shouldn't be the case; e.g. when Seven walked close to Raffi, almost but not quite comforting her...(I'd assume those two and the Elnor actor were in one bubble, but what do I know...)

I need to get this out of my head!

6. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

I honestly didn't notice this. But at the same time, I can never see the damn sailboat either, so I might be missing some cones and rods or something.

jackoverfull likes this.
  7. ThreeEdgedSword

It's honestly very well done, I don't know why I notice. Don't try to find it, or it'll be hard to forget!

Sakonna likes this.
  8. Romulan_spy

Romulan_spy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I just chalk it to Q magic. Q transported their minds into their alternate reality bodies and allowed them to keep their memories.

9. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

10. Yistaan

Yistaan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In the past Q always pulled punches and the only casualties were people Picard barely knew (like the piece of the Enterprise carved out during Q Who). Now Q is directly responsible for Elnor's death.

11. Tuskin38

Q probably isn't well, remember episode 2.

The actor who plays Elnor hinted he'll be back

12. jackoverfull

jackoverfull Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Solid episode, although not as epic as the last two (the bar is set way high by now!).

I liked that they went straight to the past and also how the borg queen took control to do it, I was a bit surprised to see 7’s “husband” die and also elnor (and 7 isn’t usually so sloppy…not knowing his full name? Really?!).

So they came out of the temporal manoeuvre (really like how they did it) and crash land straight on earth. Very unlikely, but I guess the queen copied Spock’s botched calculations from TVH!

I’m confused on where they landed: “home”? Picard crashed the ship in a vineyard in France or what?

The 21st century is colourful and funny, I like it.

7 is starting to like being “normal”, something that will be important later, no doubt.

I was surprised that Raffi got so angry at Picard. Not that she hasn’t a point, though, Picard could have killed Q when he was human if he had wanted to…something that would likely have caused more trouble than not doing it, so he really isn’t that guilty. Speaking of Q, what was he talking about?

Rios is, as many predicted, arrested by immigration. The building relationship with a woman from the past is REALLY cliche by now, after Kirk and Paris did it, but was competently executed and I like the actor (and also the child): as usual acting is top notch on this show.

The part about restarting the queen felt a bit filler, but the end was impressive. Also, she is the scariest queen Star Trek ever put on screen, I don’t understand how Picard kept giving her his back, nor why they still haven’t disconnected her from the ship: she is totally right saying that the more they wait the more she is likely to assimilate the ship. Also nice tribute to terminator both when she crawls towards Jurati and when seven and raffi materialise in LA.

Main complaint: I can’t wait another week for the continuation!

By the way, someone gave a 1 to THIS?! I don’t want to meet this person.

PT109, Kaelef, SolarisOne and 2 others like this.
  13. Kevman7987

Kevman7987 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It's a schooner.
    In POG form like ALF?

Watch "Mallrats (1995) You Dumb Bastard" on YouTube

Watch "ALF POGS" on YouTube

Last edited: Mar 17, 2022
  14. Tuskin38

She didn't have time to look it up. Her focus was trying to find the others.

The coordinates on his console point to a farm between Palmdale and LA.
    But the actual crash in the episode looked like a forest, so the coordinates might just be an easter egg or something.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 17, 2022
    jackoverfull likes this.
  15. Romulan_spy

Romulan_spy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

True but we know from episode 2 that Q means business this time. He made it clear to Picard that is not a fun game this time, he said Picard is doing penance. Q seems much more serious, deadly this time.

16. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Did a lot myself, when I was in College. My friends and I were Disneyland fans. Had to go a couple of times a year. :lol:

Yistaan likes this.
  17. urbandefault

urbandefault Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Raffi always carries a safety sandwich. :techman:

Reanok likes this.
  18. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

FTFY

urbandefault likes this.
  19. Tuskin38

Hm there is a big building outside La Sirena's window that could be Chateau Picard, maybe he did crash them in France? That would explain the 'Home' line. Though that means La Sirena is able to beam people half way across the planet.

Also explain why it's night when they crash but day in LA.
    [​IMG]

Paul Weaver likes this.
  20. Rahul

Rahul Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's a general problem with "Star Trek" and "serialisation". If you have a concept (space Wizard! Mirror universe! Time travel!), it's easier to pull a single, compelling story from it that makes sense and answers all questions.
    (I really hope that turns out to be right by SNW:crazy:)

Once you have to stretch it out over multiple episodes, between multiple writers, and find many different conflicts withing the concept to fill several episodes, the cracks start to become easily more visible.

I think ENT Season 3 was so far the best one pulling a season long arc off - and they made it by just throwing so many different mysteries together at once (Who are the Xindi/Anomalies/spheres/future enterprise/trellium-D/Degra/sphere builders) that somehow all turned out to be connected in a plot that made mostly sense. And similarly, because of the large number, they were able to solve some mysteries early one, leave others hanging, and introduce even more later on. And then having all major questions answered basically 3/4 of the way, they had several(!) episodes to properly wrap all plot threads up. And they STILL didn't stick the landing (space Nazis!:lol:) and left since threads unanswered (why the first attack on earth?)

PIC season 2 is in the very comfortable position that - if anything doesn't make any sense? A wizard did it. A single-letter named wizard.

Rhodan, Kaelef and Ar-Pharazon like this.