Spoilers Star Trek: Picard 2x01 - "The Star Gazer"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Picard' started by Commander Richard, Mar 2, 2022.

?

Rate the episode...

1. 10 - Excellent!

32.9%
  2. 9

34.3%
  3. 8

22.1%
  4. 7

7.5%
  5. 6

0.7%
  6. 5

0.7%
  7. 4

1.4%
  8. 3

0.4%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1 - Terrible.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. jackoverfull

jackoverfull Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I know, we discussed the hell out of this several times already.

thanks. I think there was only one shot in this episode.

2. Zod

Zod Captain Captain

So I put this at number 2 for this century. I think the multi episode "In A Mirror, Darkly" from Enterprise beats this out by a hair.
    Having said that I just didn't see this coming to be honest. I had lost faith in this Bad Robot group to give me something as good as this was. I hope it continues.

jackoverfull likes this.
  3. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Bad Robot has nothing to do with any of the current TV series lmao.

SJGardner, SolarisOne, KennyB and 3 others like this.
  4. Zod

Zod Captain Captain

Not officially but its the same people with the new name, Robot still in it. Its like Bioware becomes Obsidian. Same stuff. Legacy, especially and most importantly in the style of film making, From the editing to the effects and more. Its JJ university and don't get me wrong there have been many moments that I have loved JJ's style.

5. Tuskin38

No it isn't.

Do you mean Black Isle to Obsidian?

Obsidian was founded by former Black Isle employees, not Bioware.

SJGardner and Turtletrekker like this.
  6. Zod

Zod Captain Captain

Obsidian collected a ton of former Bioware people, myself included. Obsidian did Neverwinter Nights 2 and Kotor 2. I worked on both at Obsidian and I worked on the originals at Bioware. Many of us did.

JRoss likes this.
  7. JRoss

JRoss Commodore Commodore

Well, @Zod, thanks for what you did. KOTOR is in my top 5. And I agree with you about Bad Robot. Picard has members of the JJ Posse working on it. Alex Kurtzman and Akiva Goldsmith are the most prominent.

Zod likes this.
  8. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Kurtzman is not Bad Robot. That's just, well, bad information.

9. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

IIRC, there was an episode that indicated that Guinan only came aboard sometime after Tasha died (possibly "Yesterday's Enterprise"?), so no earlier than mid-way through the first season, anyway.

10. Tuskin38

Last edited: Mar 9, 2022
    SolarisOne, Markonian, Sci and 2 others like this.
  11. Tuskin38

12. Commander Richard

Commander Richard Yo! Man! Premium Member

And it's unilateral. :eek:

jackoverfull likes this.
  13. Commander Richard

Commander Richard Yo! Man! Premium Member

I don't think they really needed that bit about el-aurians aging if they want to. Whoopi Goldberg looks pretty much the same as she always did. To me anyway. They could have just left it.

14. Tuskin38

Starfleet Command/Academy between Seasons 1 and 2
    The amount of buildings in the background, and even some around the complex is not consistent.
    Season 1
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Season 2 .both images from Episode 1. The second shot seems to be a reuse of a Season 1 shot, but with the new building added, you can even see the DSC shuttles in it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Lord Exor

Lord Exor Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Akiva Goldsman was recently defending Picard's willingness to accept the Borg into the Federation as a reflection of Star Trek's theme of redemption and diplomacy. I hope they really don't travel that road with the Borg in particular. It just doesn't make any sense; unless they've radically changed their policy on forcibly converting hapless victims into mindless drones, I can't envision a scenario where their pleas for Federation membership are genuine. Some value systems just aren't reconcilable.

16. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

Nitpick:
    The United Earth flag from ENT was great because it snuck every inhabited continent into the circle. The new flag is Western Alliance/Atlantic nations only.

Also, the Stargazer's plaque reproduction was faithful enough, did they have to replicate the "error" of putting "Constitution-class" instead of Constellation on it? It annoys me in the same kinda way when Eaglemoss produced their Akira-class models and left the "USS Thunderchild" off the XL model, even though it had been on the preview model.

Besides that, the flags overall look gorgeous. I hope we see these files in an official, licensed source, so they can be added to Memory Alpha & Co.

17. Llywela

Llywela Commander Red Shirt

To be fair, though, what we saw in the episode wasn't so much an instant willingness to accept the Borg into the Federation as a willingness to at least consider hearing what they had to say rather than rejecting it out of hand. Which is in itself a radical change for Picard, who has previously had such a visceral reaction to Borg. But last season demonstrated to him that Borg as individuals are victims who can be saved and released, in theory at least, and this approach was such a change in tactics by the Borg that it threw everyone for a loop. Picard being Picard had to at least consider hearing them out before making any judgement, he has always believed so strongly in diplomacy.

18. jackoverfull

jackoverfull Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I seem to understand that it is the actual original prop, not a replica.

19. Vale

Vale Guest

Yep! :)

@DaveBlass on Twitter: "On the shelf in the Observation Lounge of the Stargazer sits the ORIGINAL dedication plaque from TNG "The Battle". Note the "Constitution Class" which was changed in Voice Over to be Constellation Class when they went with a different design for the ship. #StarTrekPicardBTS"

20. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Part of self cleaning is regular repainting.

The ships in space, paint withe the transporter, and somehow never get a fleck on the windows.

If the buildings on planets are repainted by transporter, and the service is supplied by the same guy, and he repaints the entire city at the same time, there would be a certain uniformity in the hue.

Also, they would have to evacuate the city while doing that.

Breathing issues, and one stray spark and the city would blow up.