Spoilers Star Trek: Picard 2x01 - "The Star Gazer"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Picard' started by Commander Richard, Mar 2, 2022.

?

Rate the episode...

1. 10 - Excellent!

32.9%
  2. 9

34.3%
  3. 8

22.1%
  4. 7

7.5%
  5. 6

0.7%
  6. 5

0.7%
  7. 4

1.4%
  8. 3

0.4%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1 - Terrible.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Commander Richard

Commander Richard Yo! Man! Premium Member

[​IMG]

After a two-year hiatus, the penultimate season is finally here and Q is back. Will we get an answer to what he almost revealed to Picard at the end of "All Good Things…"? Will we learn anything about his spat with Guinan? All will be revealed in time, or maybe not. Either way, it looks like we'll be in for a fun ride.

"Starfleet must once again call on legendary Jean-Luc Picard after members of his former crew – Cristóbal Rios, Seven of Nine, Raffi Musiker, and Dr. Agnes Jurati – discover an anomaly in space that threatens the galaxy." - TrekMovie.com

DaveyNY, Jinn and Turtletrekker like this.
  2. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    Well, I'm impatient for this.

DaveyNY and StarMan like this.
  3. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

anomaly in space that threatens the galaxy..

is the anti-time anomaly back?
    10-C crossover?
    Spock returns?

SolarisOne and Romulan_spy like this.
  4. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

5. TimeIsAPredator

TimeIsAPredator Commodore Commodore

I'm mostly just watching this to see if Guinan finally gets to feel Qs moobs.

But seriously I am actually very excited.

PatB1974 and SolarisOne like this.
  6. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well assuming the anomaly is connected to the timeline changing, then really it should be a threat to the universe.

7. starfleettanner

starfleettanner Commander Red Shirt

The whole "Threat to the galaxy" schtick is now on par with the "Bug Eyed Monster of the Week" schtick...this is seriously the best they can come up with for each long story arc? ANOTHER threat to the galaxy?! LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAZZZZZZZZZYYYYYY WRITING!!!!

CaptainWacky, Deledrius, Deks and 4 others like this.
  8. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

On Discovery, they need something that pulls the Federation back together again. It has to be large scale to fit that story goal. Like it or not, and I know you don't, a Major Crisis will do that. Context matters and you're not taking that into consideration.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2022
  9. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Best? No. Most marketable? Yes.

10. Lord Garth

I don't know what's going on with Picard this season, but I'm pretty sure whatever story they tell will be going about things completely different. I'm expecting "All Good Things" meets "Yesterday's Enterprise" meets DS9's "Past Tense". With probably some "Tapestry" thrown in for good measure. At least that's the way it looks.

Alternate timelines, paths not taken, 21st Century Earth, and "The trial never ends... "

11. MrPicard

MrPicard Jean-Luc's Loving Husband Fleet Captain

To be fair, having Q in the story ASKS for the stakes to be as high as possible. I mean they can't have "a slight diplomatic impasse on planet whatever" when an omnipotent being is running around. There has to be something drastic. TNG tended to have something drastic as well whenever Q was involved, lives changed, the Borg were introduced, etc - I mean putting the whole of humanity on trial sure sounds VERY drastic to me. ;)

12. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm so looking forward to see this show.It looks really good.

SolarisOne likes this.
  13. starfleettanner

I take it into consideration when its NOT the ONLY type of arc the writers can come up with. Why just galaxy threats now? What happened to stuff like political conspiracies and a buildup to potential conflict or alliances? Enterprise was doing that so damn well in its final season. They really should follow that example for season 5 and not make it about a galaxy wide threat anymore.

14. fireproof78

Probably because that's the state of the world right now.

15. starfleettanner

You left out the other parts of my post. Why?

16. Lord Garth

Right, so Season 1 wasn't a galaxy-spanning threat and The Burn happened 120 years before Season 3 took place.

Only DSC Seasons 2 and 4 have a galaxy-spanning threat.

Not even PIC Season 1 had a galaxy-spanning threat. So only two live-action seasons out of five so far had one. So enough with the hysterical hyperbole.

17. fireproof78

Because I was answering the question directly.

Art doesn't occur in a vacuum and Star Trek is no exception. Star Trek Enterprise reflected that with the Xindi attack. But, the trends nowadays are towards larger threats, and larger dangers are definitely trending very heavily.

18. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think the description is just an exaggeration to catch the eye. I'm pretty sure the entire season isn't about that.

SolarisOne and JoaquinSlowly like this.
  19. eschaton

eschaton Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Technically true but:
    • Season 1 of DIS did ultimately threaten Earth and the Federation with total destruction (and Stamets offhandedly said that the entire multiverse could have been destroyed by Georgiou's ship, which I have to consider to be histrionics on his part for headcanon to make any sense).
    • Season 1 of PIC ended with a threat that the advanced AI life forms would at least wipe out humanity in order to "save" the planet of synthetics (and possibly the whole Federation? It wasn't very clear).
    So I'd argue that Season 3 has been the only season lacking absurdly high stakes that Trek generally in the past only dabbled with in movies (and even then, only like half the time).

Last edited: Mar 2, 2022
    SolarisOne likes this.
  20. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Spoilers, dude! :p