Spoilers Star Trek: Picard 1x10 - "Et in Arcadia Ego, Part 2"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Picard' started by Commander Richard, Mar 25, 2020.

?

Rate the episode...

1. 10 - I'm sending the writers orchids!

31.7%
  2. 9

26.0%
  3. 8

15.9%
  4. 7

7.6%
  5. 6

5.1%
  6. 5

2.2%
  7. 4

4.4%
  8. 3

3.2%
  9. 2

1.6%
  10. 1 - Crash and burn!

2.2%
  1. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

What idiot would complain if it didn’t have a bridge window?

2. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

I was speaking in present tense, so my point stands.

uniderth and Gonzo like this.
  3. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

Surprised you didn’t have to sing this song to make that android gadget work.

4. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You just made me appreciate his appearance this ep much more. True to himself.

5. eschaton

eschaton Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Whether the Trekverse has a real afterlife or not, there's no doubt that Q won't just let Picard slip off into oblivion.

6. Dale Sams

Dale Sams Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

So Starfleet has some 200 Generic Super Class ships at their beck and call...and the best they could do was an 'acting Captain some 36 hours from burning a pizza' to lead it??

7. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I hope moving forward they don’t ignore the fact they just solved human immortality. Like they did in Too Short A Season. Just because Picard doesn’t want to live forever doesn’t mean the same kind of people harvesting exBs won’t kill for it.

Longinus likes this.
  8. Farscape One

Farscape One Vice Admiral Admiral

Too many posts to read them all, but I did note someone saying why didn't Picard have Data take the new body.

Data wanted this to happen. He got to be a part of the human condition, and being mortal IS a part of it.

"Time's Arrow"... in Ten-Forward, Data and Geordi are talking, and Geordi is bothered by the fact Data's fated to die.

"This has got to bother you a little." Geordi
    "On the contrary, I find it comforting." Data

He goes on to say he could have theoretically lived for centuries, maybe millennia. But all it did was just reinforce the fact that he's artificial, and now that he could in fact die, he is one step closer to undsrstanding humanity.

Data obviously survived that, but the point is right there. This finale rectified the mistake of NEMESIS. Not in bringing him back from the dead... which I would have been THRILLED to see happen... but in giving his death MEANING. Picard got to say goodbye to him, heal, and move forward, while at the same time Data getting to say a proper goodbye to him. If I can't have my scifi hero back, then I damn well want him to have a meaningful, beautiful farewell... something he more than earned and deserves. And we got that!

(Hell, I'm starting to tear up again thinking about the scene.)

I wish I could thank Michael Chabon in person for giving us that gift.

Side note: I don't know if anyone has thought of this, but maybe another reason Data wanted to be gone was because being stuck in that limbo for so long might be torture? If a fraction of a second can seem like an eternity for an android, what must YEARS feel like? One could also make the argument Picard was giving him a merciful death. I prefer to think, and I still believe, that everything I stated before and what we saw on screen is the real reason.

9. Booji

Booji Commodore Premium Member

That was god awful. Oofda...

10. Dale Sams

Dale Sams Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Still not convinced that Picard 2.0 isn't a copy. Cloning isn't immortality. Why would 'copying your engrams' be?

hmmmm....I was thinking maybe S2's theme would be people trying to capture him to copy the tech and Picard wrestling with the notion of whether or not he is the real Picard, and then I realized I just wrote Westworld.

11. StarMan

StarMan Vice Admiral Admiral

12. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Maybe that's Seven's reason for sticking around with him, Picard's in the same position she put Icheb in.

If it's a perfect copy, and Picard's experience is continuous, is there a distinction? It's no different than using the transporter.

picardjean-luc and Turtletrekker like this.
  13. Gonzo

Gonzo Guest

Yeah that was something that was made clear right from the start.

So the Data story had to be wrapped up and ended whether the writes wanted to or not.

Nyotarules likes this.
  14. Gonzo

Gonzo Guest

They look like a good match, although I am leaning towards the Noble class rather than the Imperial class.

15. Gonzo

Gonzo Guest

4 in Roman numerals is IV so you are correct anyway.

16. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

TOS solved that puzzle (Dr. Corby, the spores, Sargon and co., Norman and co.—I’m sure I’m forgetting some). Ignoring immortality is basic Star Trek.

Vger23, SJGardner and Turtletrekker like this.
  17. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Don't forget augment blood over in the Kelvinverse.

18. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

Meh. Kirk was only “mostly dead” over there. ;)

NCC-73515 likes this.
  19. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

Picard's mortality is by choice, not necessity. Most of Star Trek has emphasized embracing mortality as a feature of humanity, and that trying to circumvent it was futile, misguided and probably damning. Here, being mortal has as much weight as any artist's choice.

Longinus likes this.
  20. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

How did it not have meaning? Because it happened in a movie that sucked? Data saved Picard and was ultimately responsible for blowing up the Reman ship after Picard froze. We did get a goodbye scene in this episode that we did not in Nemesis, but the meaning was always there.

Nyotarules likes this.