Spoilers Star Trek: Picard 1x08 - "Broken Pieces"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Picard' started by pst, Mar 5, 2020.

?

Rate Episode 1x08 "Broken Pieces"

1. 10 - Fenris Rangers

57 vote(s)
    24.3%
  2. 9

93 vote(s)
    39.6%
  3. 8

48 vote(s)
    20.4%
  4. 7

19 vote(s)
    8.1%
  5. 6

7 vote(s)
    3.0%
  6. 5

6 vote(s)
    2.6%
  7. 4

1 vote(s)
    0.4%
  8. 3

1 vote(s)
    0.4%
  9. 2

1 vote(s)
    0.4%
  10. 1 - Power Rangers

2 vote(s)
    0.9%
  1. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Uh Nixon and LBJ. And probably countless military and business leaders.

Masiral, SJGardner, TPezz and 2 others like this.
  2. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

Then it's more likely the T'kon discovered the warning; eliminated all the synth research they may have been doing (if any); and set up the adomission in that star system that they created to draw attention to it for future civilizations.

And I say that because of the T'Kon civilization was destroyed by synths; there wouldn't have been enough of them left to create that eight sun star system.

3. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ITDUDE likes this.
  4. Gilora

Gilora Commander Red Shirt

I liked this, too. It brought home that he was in essence a scared kid -- albeit a lethal one -- away from home for the first time.

5. Nerys Myk

What's a Reaper?

6. NCC-73515

NCC-73515 Vice Admiral Admiral

Look at the current world and its leaders...

My interpretation was that there is a big network of openings originating from 6 hubs (one-way only, no special energy required), some more local ones (smaller, both ways) that can be opened, closed, moved... and a transwarp coil that can initiate a tunnel anywhere in any direction (energy-demanding).

Their computers are purely numerical, though ;)

He gets sent to Kaminar? XD

That would be epic!

A vision from a glowing ring could have as much validity as today's youtube videos. Maybe it was just a ConclavesEdge ragefake to discredit synths.

He had only 4 pips.

Yes, they were mentioned in TNG. That's what he's saying. ;) Perhaps the laddie should rephrase that.

Unimatrix 01 must have some meaning. Her parents got excited about another member of Unimatrix 01 cause it meant he was close to the queen.

SJGardner likes this.
  7. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

[​IMG]

8. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I have no idea is this is true or not, someone posted it on a discord server I’m on. But the white robot seen in the vision seems to be based off one from shutterstock
    [​IMG]

9. Nerys Myk

[​IMG]

AndorianAle likes this.
  10. KJY

KJY Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I never once used the word "deserve" in any of my posts. I don't know how this represents any sort of counter to anything I've said. I'm talking about attempting to influence public opinion on AI using the same evidence that shaped their own opinion on the subject, not about doing the "right" thing. Whether that would work or not, you haven't explained any possible benefit to withholding and hiding the evidence for centuries.
    Aren't convinced? What sort of unreasonable standard of evidence do you think people hold in the Federation? The show makes it very clear that an octanary system is a remarkable phenomenon that anyone would show great interest in. You might as well argue that the majority of Federation citizens don't believe the Bajoran Wormhole exists because they haven't visited is personally.
    This is a circular argument. I'm trying to argue that the way the Zhat Vash behave is completely illogical given their stated motivations. You argument seems to be "Well, that's how they behave."
    No. Their rock-solid evidence is the existence of the octanary system with the aeons old piece of technology on it. Keep in mind they actively tried to hide these things for centuries.
    You treating their claims as something completely unverifiable, like a Big Foot sighting or something. They have the coordinates to the dang thing!
    My point was that this was lazy and contrived writing, not that it didn't actually happen in the story.
    In other words, they were being stupid because the plot required it.
    Why do you ignore the fact that that mind-meld was a catalyst for other people discovering hard evidence (which they were actively trying to hide for some reason) and why do you keep acting like they can't mind meld more than one person? Imagine if they had infiltrators mind-meld half the Daystrom Institute or Vulcan Science Academy.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2020
  11. Sir Stewart Wallace

Sir Stewart Wallace Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't know. But seasons don't fear them. Nor, I'm told, does the wind, the sun, or the rain.

12. Roboturner913

Roboturner913 Commander Red Shirt

We don't play that pussy shit in the Blue Torpedo, man

13. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

From Mass Effect. Basically what this “new threat” is.

14. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

And the fact that Michael Chabon has admitting taking inspiration from Lord of the Rings, going on a quest, the Borg cube is Moria, Elnor is Legolas etc.

15. thribs

Narissa is basically Rita Repulsa.

“CURSE YOU RANGERS!!” :)

Tim Thomason likes this.
  16. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    Something you don't fear.

17. thribs

That’s not the only Mass Effect connection. Like what other said online, that thing at the beginning is basically a Prothean beacon. The thing Sheppard activates and get visions of synthetics slaughtering organics.
    Luckily he didn’t start slamming his head on a rock afterwards. :)

18. Cake

Cake Captain Captain

I am still so underwhelmed by this series. It is not as bad as DIS, but it is all so meh. I just think the storytelling is lacking. A lot of things don't really feel natural. It just feels so forced constructed.

https://tv.avclub.com/star-trek-picard-offers-some-answers-on-its-worst-epis-1842280137

I agree with a lot of the recent AV Club review.

It doesn't help that I thought the reveal that there is a order of cliche clad in black women who got some visions from long past and because of this try to destroy all synths/robots is a bit lame.

19. thribs

Were they all women? That might go with the theory that they are a splinter group of the female monks.

20. Cake

Cake Captain Captain

Yes, all women. And as they try to connect everything with everyone it wouldn't surprise me if they connect the female monks and therefore also Elnor to the Zhat Vash, too.