Star Trek peeves

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Tebok, Dec 30, 2015.

1. stardream

stardream Commodore Commodore

From what I remember the 'women' were always struggling to get away from Pepe. I don't remember him having much 'luck'.

2. S.Gallagher

S.Gallagher Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Can't say he didn't try 'tho.........!!!!!

3. stardream

stardream Commodore Commodore

True. Although he'd probably be sued for harassment now.

4. S.Gallagher

S.Gallagher Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

............And called a stalker if he glanced at someone more than once!!!

5. Nyotarules

Nyotarules Vice Admiral Moderator

Nah in 23rd century it won't matter. This was GR's answer to a reporter when asked will there still be baldness in the 23rd century.

6. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

Data in "All Good Things" had Pepe Le Pew's great hair.

Kor

7. Zonker

Zonker Commander Red Shirt

My pet peeve is ST fans using "logical" as a synonym for "good" or more often "sharing my opinion/taste." For example people saying things like "Everyone should like Star Trek, it's only logical" or "It's illogical to like JJ-trek" or anything along these lines.

8. Drone

Drone Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The Doctor in Before and After had ....hair.:)

Honestly, I'm not sure if I've really ever seen opinions offered in that manner, or very rarely, around these parts anyway.

9. Elder Knight

Elder Knight Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

"If sound doesn't travel in a vacuum, then why are vacuum cleaners so noisy?"
    -- Dr. Science

10. Elder Knight

Elder Knight Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

"Aw-haw-haw! Les Klingon, zey are in for a surprise, mes amis!"

11. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Because...

(puts on sunglasses)

...they SUCK.

YEEEEEEEEAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!

Triskelion likes this.
  12. Captain Rob

Captain Rob Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm suddenly reminded of scene from "Spaceballs".

13. Zonker

Zonker Commander Red Shirt

It's mostly on other websites, especially facebook, but it just gets on my nerves every time I see it.

14. Scotchy

Scotchy Commander Red Shirt

The absence of cameras.
    I always thought it was ridiculous that away teams were not routinely equipped with body cams. It's the 23rd or 24th century, but here's Riker or whoever trying to explain what they are seeing as the Captain listens on the bridge like it's an old time radio show. Why should an away team commander have to narrate his entire mission when body cameras are readily available today in the 21st century? By the 23rd century the camera should be extremely small, perhaps integrated right into the Next Generation com badge.
    Besides, you could get some great point-of-view red shirt deaths like the second Alien movie.
    Also, during episodes like Skin of Evil, Picard shouldn't have to ask "what's happening?!" They're out in the open on that planet, you could still see the action without even a body cam. With 24th century technology, they should easily be able to zoom in from a synchronous orbit position and watch their away team from above. Again, a good opportunity for entertainment -
    Zzap!! (Bridge viewer shows Yar glow momentarily, then crumple to the dirt.)
    Picard: "Wow! Did you guys see that? Yar just got fried by that Scooby Doo Tar Monster! Buh-LAM!!"

Richard Baker and JonnyQuest037 like this.
  15. JonnyQuest037

JonnyQuest037 Vice Admiral Admiral

That's a perfectly logical thought, but I think it's just one of those things that they have to do to have a show. If everyone knows exactly what's going on at all times, it becomes really tough to sustain a problem or create any suspense. That's why we're constantly seeing thing like the transporters going down, the holodeck operating without safety protocols, or communicators getting stolen.

16. Richard Baker

Richard Baker Commodore Commodore

Didn't they use cameras on the away team mission Geordi was on so long ago in 'Identity Crisis'? IIRC they used that to help recreate the scene in the holodeck...

17. JonnyQuest037

They also tapped into Geordi's VISOR in an early TNG episode, so the bridge crew got to literally see the world through Geordi's eyes. I can't remember what episode it was at this late date, only that Georgi saw Data with a glow around him because he was an android. That was a neat bit.

18. Triskelion

Triskelion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The only way I figure it (retcon it) is that they actually strive to cut down on information to its barest essentials; as with Okudagram wireframe graphics; or the verbal interface for the ship's library computer. Cameras may be more trouble than they're worth in terms of mission-critical decision-making.

(Thank goodness the nerds at DARPA didn't call the internet a "Library").

And imagine only using Google's "I'm Feelin' Lucky " button for every search. Yikes.

"Computer, who are the Borg?"
    "Björn Rune Borg is a former world No. 1 tennis player from Sweden widely considered to be one of the greatest in tennis history. Between 1974 and 1981 he became the first male professional t…"
    "No problem, Captain, it's just some Swede in shorty shorts."

19. JonnyQuest037

This explanation might make sense if the ship didn't also have a holodeck where the crew member go play make believe for hours on end. Lack of resources doesn't seem to be a problem.

20. Triskelion

Triskelion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Resource availability is not exactly my point. It isn't about resources, it is about clarity. If you ever hear Michael Okuda discussing his design strategy for the LCARS computer system, you will hear him describing his goal to cut all possible extraneous information, and to increase flow of information in as simple and instantly recognizable a manner as possible. You can see how the layouts flow logically and make their own kind of sense. The idea being that you needed the most critical information first without a lot of distraction.

Besides the needs for drama (boop beep boop Hello? You're gonna need a bigger boat), you could rationalize that an away mission leader is the major resource in charge of getting things done (see TNG's Ensigns of Command for an illustration). The camera may simply not be mission critical. (And also, it kind of goes to show how addicted we are to our own information overload). :)

Last edited: Apr 13, 2016