Star Trek Online Discussion Thread - Delta Rising

Discussion in 'Trek Gaming' started by Timelord Victorious, Oct 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pteal1979

pteal1979 Tal Shiar's Most Wanted Red Shirt

There is a kit module vendor on the promenade on DS9, they may have them

2. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

Just get some low level versions and upgrade them?
    Or craft them or ask someone to craft them for you?

3. pteal1979

pteal1979 Tal Shiar's Most Wanted Red Shirt

Kit modules are not in the R&D, I've had a look on DS9 and the vendors only go upto mk IX.

4. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

Ah, my bad. Well, you can still farm that one Borg mission that rewards purple kits and modules until you get the ones you need?

5. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

Just checking my credits. 4 million dollars is not close to buying a Kelvin TL Connie.

6. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

Kit modules cannot be crafted, cannot be upgraded. Rare and very rare versions almost never drop, even when playing on elite difficulty.

7. captainkirk

captainkirk Commodore Commodore

First time STO player here. I barely started the tutorial level and then lost connection. I know this will probably sound like a stupid question but is there any way to play STO offline? I live in South Africa which has some of the worst internet in the world. The only affordable uncapped option is only accessible in the early hours of the morning which is hardly a fun way to play. I don't care about not being multiplayer (in fact I'd prefer it) just so long as it works.

8. LeadHead

LeadHead Director of Comedy Premium Member

You need to be connected to the internet to play the game. I've never heard of a way around that.

9. Joel_Kirk

Joel_Kirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In the Joel Zone, identifying as Sexually Fluid.
    I actually didn't get much (if anything) during the run.:(

I did try Starbase 24 on my own, but that proved difficult if you don't have a strong ship. I also tried The Big Dig on my own and was successful in getting some loot, but it seems the mission is bugged...so I had to stop. (It got to the point where my toon shoots and walks backwards, getting flanking damage....which isn't cool).

I know Tour the Galaxy is one other way to get some EC; I recommend touring the Alpha Quadrant since there are fewer areas to hit.

10. jaime

jaime Vice Admiral Admiral

Offline is totally impossible. If you download the entire game during N uncapped period, the amount of data used should be small enough for carefully timed playing during capped periods. I can't speak for certain as I don't k kW much about the data use specifics on either Sto or south African Internet. However, I played another Mmo on a mobile phone connection at university with no problem, because I made sure the game was totally installed first.

11. captainkirk

I have heard of people using it offline such as in this video:

So I assumed it was possible.

12. jaime

Hmm. That's a pretty early video. It's possible they were solo inside a mission and disconnected and it just didn't matter so much. Or that they are using demorecord, which plays back missions.
    If it is offline, it's certainly a bug and unlikely to be easy to replicate, especially given how much has changed.

13. captainkirk

As I understand it the guy used a modified version of STO from here:
    http://forum.ragezone.com/f898/repack-star-trek-online-unzip-1047849/
    Most of the technical stuff being discussed in that thread I don't understand, but it appears to me that what this does is allow you to create your own small local server. If I'm getting this completely wrong let me know.

14. jaime

No idea, I wouldn't touch that concept though, local servers would certainly be against EULA and most likely also illegal.

15. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

It's most definitely illegal as someone will have to reverse engineer the game's server architecture and communication protocols, both of which are proprietary information. In fact just a few months ago, Blizzard forced a similar World of Warcraft private server, Nostralius, to shut down it's operation for this exact reason.

16. Ronald Held

I have not bought from the Exchange in year. How do you find any Kelvin ship there? All I saw were cheap lockboxes.

17. LeadHead

LeadHead Director of Comedy Premium Member

If you're looking for the Kelvin Constitution, it's the "Kelvin Timeline Heavy Command Cruiser" in the exchange. I had the same problem too, the fact that the notification that comes on screen when somebody unlocks one makes that more confusing.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
    Ronald Held likes this.
  18. Ronald Held

Thanks I will look again after I return to a Starbase.

19. captainkirk

Even if it was entirely confined to one computer?

20. jaime

Yup. There no software bought so there's no 'own use' get out clause, and the server software itself wild have to have been reverse engineered or outright stolen to be available.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.