Spoilers Star Trek: Lower Decks 1x09 - "Crisis Point"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Lower Decks' started by Commander Richard, Sep 30, 2020.

?

Rate the episode...

1. 10 - Fresh

59 vote(s)
    44.0%
  2. 9

37 vote(s)
    27.6%
  3. 8

18 vote(s)
    13.4%
  4. 7

14 vote(s)
    10.4%
  5. 6

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. 5

2 vote(s)
    1.5%
  7. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 3

1 vote(s)
    0.7%
  9. 2

2 vote(s)
    1.5%
  10. 1 - Rotten

1 vote(s)
    0.7%
  1. Search4

Search4 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

As the person who restored the original Drydock i laughed out loud at the infinity long fly by sequence showing all those adoring looks.

2. Sarcastic Vulcan Salute

Sarcastic Vulcan Salute Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Morality is different from psychology.

There's nothing morally wrong in my book in having fantasies of killing co-workers or family, even if it were possible to have a holodeck and act on them there and only there. No actual harm is done to the other people or the simulations.

Psychologically, it's messed up, which the show acknowledged and even Mariner came to realize when she got her ass kicked by herself.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2020
  3. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Playing Sniper Elite 4 right now. Shooting Nazis in the testicles is very therapeutic in the here and now.

4. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Killing genocidal assholes bent on world domination =/= killing your mother who's kind of a hardass towards you when you break the rules.

Mr. Laser Beam likes this.
  5. BillJ

Did you not watch the whole episode? Mariner comes to the realization that it is messed up. You know what else is messed up? Having to fight to the death in order to get married. Yet Vulcans are held up as being special.

6. Ometiklan

Ometiklan Captain Captain

I know I have enjoyed repeatedly shooting my friends in CounterStrike when they have recently been a**holes. And that is when they are playing the game with me.

SolarisOne and BillJ like this.
  7. BillJ

I'm not much of an online gamer, but I've ran over countless innocent people in Grand Theft Auto over the years.

SolarisOne and fireproof78 like this.
  8. Photoman15

Photoman15 Commodore Commodore

I always thought the bunnycorn sausage was poop from the bunny.

She said "Emergency transport, now, on signal". It's like when Picard put his combadge on the Edo girl. The transporter will lock on to who/what ever has the badge.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2020
  9. Ometiklan

Ometiklan Captain Captain

I think the correct interpretation for the two beam up sequences in the episode is that Freeman arranged ahead of time to have Mariner beamed back due to her rule-breaking. So when Freeman called for one to transport, they knew to take Mariner. In the "movie" later, holo-Mariner activates holo-Freeman's badge for the emergency beamout so the computer takes holo-Freeman. Well planned all around by the showrunners/animators.

Phaser Two and SolarisOne like this.
  10. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Sounds like people who played counter strike in high school and college. They're fine.

Mister Spock likes this.
  11. Mike McDevitt

Mike McDevitt Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Dig that avatar! But will you stop eating these guys if we give you a food replicator?

SolarisOne and NCC-73515 like this.
  12. caper_guy

caper_guy Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I haven't been logged in for quite awhile, but I had to after that episode. I've been on the fence with how I feel about this series - I suppose along the lines of several others on here. Love the hints and references to other Trek series, some of the storylines have been good so far, but sometimes over the top with Mariner and certain episodes are just too much or lack the usual flow.

However, this by far is the best. Great story - hopefully this puts Mariner in a different head space. Not to say she'll be a typical officer now, I think that's a premise of the entire series, but hopefully not as flagrantly offside, especially with the bridge crew/mother. How does Boimler live with and use that info about Mariner. Great episode all around.

Overall, I really enjoy the things that would be more difficult to do on a live action show - certain species, holodeck sequences, and topics that would just come off very gruesome or odd.

PS - opening theme is great!

13. NCC-73515

NCC-73515 Vice Admiral Admiral

I found it hilarious that he immediately licks his snout when there's a chance he might be able to eat them again XD
    But I would never eat those guys, their lisping is too cute! Hmmm...bathk? We're deliciouth. :luvlove:

Phaser Two and Mike McDevitt like this.
  14. urbandefault

urbandefault Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

15. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

Fun episode although I didn't laugh. That engineer guy gotta a lot of smirks from me. First when he's crying over how beautiful the ship is and then sitting alone, having soup and looking pale and sad he gets called a badass.

jackoverfull and Kevman7987 like this.
  16. Photoman15

Photoman15 Commodore Commodore

17. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Free range bunnicorn? They could have small, relatively painless euthanization traps set up to kill them and what the Rikers don't eat they use to feed other native animals.

18. eschaton

eschaton Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think this is an example - much like the whole thing of Raffi and her comments about Picard being rich - where the Picard writers decided to just ignore established Trek just because they didn't like how anodyne it was.

It just came out recently there was a cut scene from the first episode where Picard threatened to fire someone doing manual labor on his vineyard. Which is great, because that certainly would have caused heads to explode.

19. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

What I don't understand is why everyone keeps calling them "Rat People". These totally look like Anticans to me, which are far more canine in appearance than rats.

20. NCC-73515

NCC-73515 Vice Admiral Admiral

That was clear immediately, yes

137th Gebirg likes this.