Spoilers Star Trek: Lower Decks 1x02 - "Envoys"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Lower Decks' started by Commander Richard, Aug 12, 2020.

?

Rate the episode...

1. 10 - It was everything I wished for.

16 vote(s)
    10.8%
  2. 9

32 vote(s)
    21.6%
  3. 8

45 vote(s)
    30.4%
  4. 7

30 vote(s)
    20.3%
  5. 6

11 vote(s)
    7.4%
  6. 5

8 vote(s)
    5.4%
  7. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 3

1 vote(s)
    0.7%
  9. 2

1 vote(s)
    0.7%
  10. 1 - I dream of better Trek.

4 vote(s)
    2.7%
  1. frankieteardrop

frankieteardrop Commander Red Shirt

I really like the idea of a Federation planet with cultural districts representing different Federation races ("Little Qo’noS," etc). Unless I'm mistaken, this is the first time we've seen something like that in Trek.

This pretty much sums up how I feel about the episode, though I laughed more than once.

I was disappointed by this at first, since DS9 did such a fantastic job fleshing out the Ferengi and this one-dimensional depiction seemed like a step back, but the reveal that came later was a nice twist that I honestly didn't see coming.

2. Cyrus

Cyrus Vice Admiral Admiral

But it cannot be considered a step back because of the twist. This was not a natural Ferengi , it was someone play acting for Boimler's sake.

Kzinti, KennyB and Jadeb like this.
  3. frankieteardrop

frankieteardrop Commander Red Shirt

Yes, I agree. That's why I wrote that it seemed like a step back, until the reveal that came later. I wound up really liking how that Ferengi encounter wrapped up.

Captain Fine, Jadeb and Cyrus like this.
  4. Campe

Campe Vice Admiral Admiral

7/10. I actually laughed out loud a few times on this one. I'm liking these characters quite a bit. They're fun and relatable.

The shapeshifter was a Vendorian, a race that previously appeared in TAS "The Survivor." Deep cut.

nightwind1, XelosTi, Jadeb and 3 others like this.
  5. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

I still haven't laughed*, but I enjoyed parts of ep 2. I think I liked the B-story more than the A, but that may be due to a strong dislike of Mariner. (It will be hilarious for me to look back and see how much I didn't like her if they pull an Ahsoka on us and slowly turn her into the best character on the show.)

I assume that was the Klingon with the eyepatch who gave Mariner her bat-leth.

It's nice to see them continue to mine Trek lore all over the place. I don't give them extra points for having that stuff though, it's just what should already be there by virtue of being Trek. I'm at, "I see a Ferengi." rather than, "Holy cow, a Ferengi! Woah." :)

*There was a tiny bit with Boimler that almost made me smirk, but I've forgotten what it was.

gblews likes this.
  6. eschaton

eschaton Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My one issue with the episode: If Rutherford is this hard working and beloved within engineering, I can't see how the series isn't going to promote him to lt. junior grade.

Of course, you could still be "Lower Decks" and not be an ensign I suppose.

Markonian likes this.
  7. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

It was alright. I liked the command training simulation. I assume the Janeway protocol is to get lost? :)

Having Boimler know about Section 31 was a bit silly. I expect better from this team than to make Discovery mistakes.

8. Romulan_spy

Romulan_spy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I totally missed the S31 reference. The show is so quick sometimes that it is easy to miss something.

9. eschaton

A couple other random thoughts.
    • Why did the guy in sick bay say "thank god" at the end? He was Bajoran, shouldn't he thank the Prophets? One of the few slip ups.
    • I think I saw a Lurian in the bar fight!

Markonian likes this.
  10. eschaton

I presumed the joke was the Janeway protocol is to eject all the children to save the ship. Basically they are directly referencing the meme that Janeway is a ruthless psychopath.

Hythlodeus and Romulan_spy like this.
  11. UssGlenn

UssGlenn Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That briefly crossed my mind during the episode, except I find Mariner way more likeable than Burnham, so I don't have a problem with it.

Kpnuts and Jadeb like this.
  12. Romulan_spy

Romulan_spy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, I think that makes sense, especially in context when they referenced all the children that died when he failed the simulation. And then the commander offered to load a new simulation with 2x more children on board.

13. starfleettanner

starfleettanner Commander Red Shirt

Maybe not all Bajorans have the same religious belief? I mean like here on earth there are multiple religions, why should we believe that the Bajorans have only ONE religion?

fireproof78 likes this.
  14. thribs

I’m not familiar with that. When did she eject kids?
    Janeway protocol could also be go back in time and redo it.

Romulan_spy likes this.
  15. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

I’m hoping for character development like in Grey’s Anatomy: the “junior crew” bounces back but eventually moves up in rank, while newly introduced characters can take the ensign spots.

Plus, Rutherford is in a happy place right now. I could see him experiencing character drama á la “screw the rules, got to do what’s right”, affecting his career. Could make for a bonding experience with Mariner.

Blooded and Michael like this.
  16. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

Also, what’s new on the SHIPS front?

The trailer and photos show various small craft. One looks a bit like a Nenebek/Klingon shuttle.
    Anything else new?

17. thribs

There is a way better looking ship coming up. You see it in the “upcoming” teaser from episode one.

Markonian likes this.
  18. eschaton

Even a junior grade lieutenant has to order someone around right? It might be he just is an absolute zero in terms of management skills. Certainly that's what this episode suggests.

Markonian likes this.
  19. thribs

Yeah, they seem to treat ensigns as the lowest rank. They’ve forgotten about enlisted personnel

20. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

She said that Klingon was bald.