Star Trek Finally Reveals Uhura Became Captain of Her Own Starship

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Cpt. MAGA Man, Aug 1, 2022.

1. dupersuper

dupersuper Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

...Is MASH a multiverse?

Ar-Pharazon likes this.
  2. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Yeah, You got the Altman-verse and the Gelbart-verse. And don't get me started on MASH lit.

3. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

True. It's not called that now. But language isn't static, and the Watsonian would note that the English spoken in Picard is as removed from the English we speak today as our English is removed from that spoken by Shakespeare. Terminology may well have changed in four hundred years. :)

I was writing from memory. I was within 1 significant digit! :)

Ar-Pharazon likes this.
  4. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

So AfterMASH goes into the Gelbert-verse... and TRAPPER JOHN, M.D. goes into the Altman-verse? Or is TRAPPER JOHN, M.D. another universe?

5. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

A measly ship? Nah. Go bigger—

I could see her as a designer of the MIDAS array:
    https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Mutara_Interdimensional_Deep_Space_Array_System

The ultimate communications platform would be a golf ball where each dimple is an Arecibo. Within the lattice-work sphere is a vast dish that can use the dimple in front of it as a feed horn….and several such spheres surround the Federation as an interferometer….with some work on an eventual ansible.

Around the time of TOS, we had this IRL:
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uhuru_(satellite)

6. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

No, but W*A*L*T*E*R definitely is.

And MASH lit is the Hooker-verse. But I’m warning you: its name is blatant false advertising.

7. MAGolding

MAGolding Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I wasn't correcting lesser to small. I're sure there are plenty of sources that write about the Greater and Lesser Magellanic Coulds as well as the Large and Small Magellanic Clouds. But the acceptable forms are:

One) Greater (or Large, etc.) Magellanic Cloud

Or:

Two) Lesser (or Smal, etc.) Magellanic Cloud.

Or:

Three: The Magellanic Clouds.

The singular form Cloud has to follow the name of one of them. The plural form CloudS must fofllow both of them. Your sentence mingled the singular name of one of them, with the plural form CloudS.

Futhermore, you implied there was only one cloud at one specific distance, when there are actually two clouds at two different distances.

Captin KIrk: "Ensign Chekov, we have arrived at Risa a day ahead of schedule."

Chekov: "Good, that give the crew an extra day for R & R once you have handled your government business, sir."

KIrk: "We travelled all the way from Monotomia Major at warp factor six, our fastest sutainable speed except for the emergency speeds which were not used, because it was calculated we would need to use warp factor six for the entire voyage to arrive in time. Thus we used up more fuel than we would have use at lower speeds."

Chekov: "That is unfortunate sir."

Kirk: "Yes. We didn't stop at Podunk III to drop off the supplies they requested, which thus will not arrive for several more weeks, causing considerable suffering there, I believe. All because we thought we couldn't go to Podunk if we were to reach Risa in time. Of course they are going to sue Starfleet for their losses, and Starfleet will take their compensation out of the pay of the person responsible."

Chekov: "Most unfortunate, sir."

Kirk: "Which navigator signed the course calculations from Monotomia Major to Risa?"

Checkov: "Me, sir.".

KIrk: The calculations claiming that Risa is 200 light years from Monotomia Major, instead of the correct 163 light years?"

Chekov: "Yes, sir."

Kirk: How did you make that error, Ensign?"

Chekov: "I used my memory for the distance, which I thought I had memorized, sir."

Kirk: "Using your memory for interstellar distances iinstead of looking them up is against regulation proceedures."

Chekov: "yes, sir. But at least I was within 1 significent digit." :)

Last edited: Aug 8, 2022
  8. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

So is TRAPPER JOHN, M.D. the Hooker-verse?

9. MAGolding

MAGolding Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

10. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

It’s in the Altman-verse by the thinnest of threads.

Ryan Thomas Riddle likes this.
  11. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

Normally I have to sit through your off-topic pedantry since it doesn't technically break any rules, but here you actually direct it at another poster. The fact that you put that much time and energy into mocking @Allyn Gibson over meaningless minutiae is textbook trolling.

Since you don't have a history of trolling I am letting you off with an informal warning. This time.

I strongly suggest you rethink how you post and how you interact with other posters here.

KennyB likes this.
  12. Elder Knight

Elder Knight Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

"Pursuit of happiness," says it all. Good for her/

13. DataRules

DataRules Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Why do you feel this way? I can TOTALLY see a Captain Nyota Uhura in charge of a starship AND in charge of Starfleet Intelligence - and I base this on what little we learned about her in the show (and the Animated Series, which I believe is considered canon now). Communications involves knowing how to handle and disseminate sensitive information, so I know that Uhura would be a perfect fit.

Phew, when I see comments like yours I have to wonder. You must HATE Captain Michael Burnham.

14. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

I know I do.

15. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

How could she lead a 4-5 year mission to the Lesser (Small?) Magellanic Cloud, some 199,000 light-years from Earth when it was going to take Voyager (with a sustainable cruise velocity of warp 9.975) 75 years to travel 70,000 light-years?

Ronald Held and ZapBrannigan like this.
  16. drt

drt Commodore Commodore

I suppose they found a stable wormhole or transwarp conduit.

17. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

SISKO: If it's true, that would mean that this has been here for ten thousand years. Dax, we might have just discovered the first stable wormhole known to exist. Bring us about, Lieutenant.

18. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

[​IMG]

Dukhat likes this.
  19. valkyrie013

valkyrie013 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Huh? Why would I hate Burnham? If its because shes a woman or black, you can go bite me.. I may not like the writing of having her the Absolute Center of attention and plot and her constant whispering, but thats minor stuff. I've watched all seasons and mostly enjoyed them.

Now for my comments on Uhura, is that they seem to have EVERYBODY want to become a captain of a ship. Not saying she couldn't, I just don't like that they make EVERYBODY one. Maybe she took some time off, have a family and children, after awhile maybe come back, We don't know. If they want to make her being a Captian cannon, go for it, its not my character, won't loose sleep. Just I hate the thing of Oh they have to have some type of tragedy in there life, or everybody has to gun to be a captain. Its lazy writing.

ZapBrannigan likes this.
  20. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If everyone in the main cast can command a starship, it's no longer special:

STONE: Now, look, Jim. Not one man in a million could do what you and I have done. Command a starship. A hundred decisions a day, hundreds of lives staked on you making every one of them right.

MERIK: He commands not just a spaceship, Proconsul, but a starship. A very special vessel and crew.

Somewhere along the way, fans and even later showrunners seemed to think it was akin to being a bus driver.

While there's no stated or filmed reason why Uhura can't be a starship captain, neither did they demonstrate she was command material. Comics, fan films and fiction did that. And leading a landing party in a cartoon episode isn't running a starship. I can lead a team at work but can't see me running the company.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2022
    ZapBrannigan likes this.