Star Trek Equinox

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by ElimGarak.93-99, Apr 25, 2014.

1. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

:lol:

2. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

These guys should get together with the people running Titan ... would be perfect fit! LOL

3. Barbreader

Barbreader Fleet Captain In Memoriam

They just announced they got a C&D letter about their store from CBS legal. Here's the entire, unedited text, from Facebook:

EQINEWS: Good Morning everyone. As we go into our ninth month of preproduction it looks like we have some great personal appearance news, and some updates from CBS legal.
    The first thing is we are finally confirmed to appear at San Diego Comic Con, and also waiting to hear back on a second appearance that I'm sure is another "first appearance".
    Next we received a letter from CBS legal stating very clearly that our Equinox store and Go Fund Me was outside of the limits of what CBS allows, as we have never "sold" any merchandise, but we have to clearly state that all merchandise is absolutely free based on contributions to the production costs. (Which has always been the case) so we have to reword everything so no one is confused.
    The next bit of news is we are in the planning stages of a very special concert which will be announced in detail once its finalized, but we are sure will sell out very quickly.
    Finally expect to see a very cool Equinox Trailer as our Director of Photography is putting together some great footage we thought lost.
    Thank You All as this is going to be an interesting summer and if you have not been by the IMDB in a while there are new cast members added and finally finding a Director that may just love Star Trek more than any of us.
    Eric Nyenhuis for Team Equinox

4. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

That's interesting Barb. It goes to show that CBS does indeed watch everything and can see right thru the projects that are not what they are suppose to be. 9 months of pre-production huh...hmmm

5. wtriker1701

wtriker1701 Commander Red Shirt

Sorry, Maurice. Seems like they have taken down their fundraising... Wonder what happened there?

However, they claimed in their first video, that their goal was to finance a trailer first and the movie afterwards...

EDIT: I've just read Barb's post... Now it's become clear.

Last edited: May 30, 2014
  6. Bixby

Bixby Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I looked at some of their videos yesterday during lunchtime. One was an audition bit with canadian actor John Kapelos, who most probably remember as the janitor in the Breakfast Club movie. He mustered up a really decent british accent (what region I couldn't tell you) for the Equinox's engineer, but the dialogue itself sounded way too much like the usual Scotty dramatic dialogue...

It seems like they are settling for TOS era settings and costumes due to costs as it seemed they originally wanted the Wrath of Khan-era interiors and tunics, but claim the costumes alone would have cost them 75000$.

Say what you will about Alec Peters and his Axanar project, it has from the start been clearly thought out and planned, its progression from script to development to pre-prod to crowdfunding to actual production has been masterful, to say the least.

Equinox's, sorry to say, is a mess...

7. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Yup, very impressed by the Axanar project!

8. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

It seems like Gary Lockwood's daughter is somehow involved in this, and may even be the reason she got him involved. I think Gary Lockwood's done great work in his career but he does look frail and unhealthy and he should probably stay away from the cameras to protect his dignity. He's not able to defy age to the extent an athletic guy like Michael Forrest has.

9. USS Intrepid

USS Intrepid Commodore Commodore

Their latest update.

10. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

"We need money to pay for our efforts to do stuff to get you guys to give us money."

11. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

2012? Darn! guess I'm to late! LOL

12. USS Intrepid

USS Intrepid Commodore Commodore

Urm, could you edit that so it's clear I'm quoting, not talking for them. Thanks. :)

13. northstar

northstar Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

indeed, that is hillarious. Unbelievable...

14. DCR

DCR Commander Red Shirt

It's been very clear that Alec Peters knows exactly what he's doing in making Axanar, and all the steps he has to take to get it made.

These guys make me nervous, and I certainly wouldn't want to give them any money; unlike Axanar, P2, or STC.

15. ElimGarak.93-99

ElimGarak.93-99 Captain Captain

Quote= We need to raise money to take care of the expense of bringing the crew together for San Diego Comic and hopefully Las Vegas Creation.

Seriously, seriously!?!?!

16. feek61

feek61 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Funny, I too need to raise money to take care of the expense of going to San Diego and Las Vegas.

My first thought was to work hard and make money but now perhaps I too will start a crowd-funding effort!!!! ;) It just seems easier than to work for something you want!

17. wtriker1701

wtriker1701 Commander Red Shirt

This is, so far, a Public Relations disaster. What good can possibly come out of this...?
    I'd guess some money has been paid to even get Lockwood or Savage on the phone for putting on those shirts...

Really seriously? I can't believe they've invested nine months of pre-production. The future of ST Equinox might be one of many dead ends...

18. MikeH92467

MikeH92467 Admiral Admiral

I haven't liked the concept from the time I first read about it, reason enough not to care whether it gets made or not. The legal issues speak of fundamental organizational problems.

19. Duane

Duane Captain Captain

You have one and only one chance to get it right when it comes to crowd funding. Axanar did it very well with a short video featuring multiple speakers, and Phase II did a fine job as well with JC as spokesman.

If you want to see an example of how not to make a Kickstarter video, search for Resilient 3-D sci-fi. These people claim to be filmmakers, and maybe they are, but they can't produce a decent video and the audio is horrendous.

20. northstar

northstar Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt