Spoilers Star Trek:Discovery Uniforms Sneak Peak

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by uniderth, Aug 11, 2016.

1. Kevin Wolff

Kevin Wolff Captain Captain

Trek visuals have been inconsistent since the original movies anyway. I wanted to whip Nick Meyer for having an entire scene in the GALLEY in ST6 when they've had replicators (originally called food dispensers) since the first season of TOS. As I got older I realized it didn't matter because Trek is about story, not visuals. It's the antithesis of something like Star Wars where the look is what mostly matters.

2. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

I always wondered what kind of food they were dealing with in that galley that necessitated the need to keep phasers on quick hand.

uniderth likes this.
  3. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

No.

The fictional universe created is canon.

That's how shit is.

Although, I read a novel where Uhura explained that the bridge of the Enterprise seemed old fashioned, because it was supposed to be userfrienldly while the bridge was on fire, or being attacked by Klinongs, and the paper read outs are for when a space vagina eats their battery power, or wipes all their hard drives.

Ships where all data is digital, and all modular parts are microscopic are just asking for trouble, if the engineers can't replace or rebuild vital systems while they are choking on a CO2 leak, with cannibals inbound.

But yes, that was a "modern" novel trying to explain why tv made in the 1960s seemed not so modern, which is all any of us is doing right now.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
    Kevin Wolff likes this.
  4. uniderth

uniderth Commodore Commodore

Irrelevant. While the look of that era may not have been the best possible, it is accepted as having appeared that way. A contradictory appearance would undermine the value of either the old or new production.

Guy Gardener likes this.
  5. Kevin Wolff

And you're not alone in that thinking which is why I feel many fans are gonna feel the sting as their accepted Trek aesthetic is completely updated. I felt if with TNG in '87. I'm not arguing that I'm right, I'm just speculating this is how I think it will go. Having said that, I came here to hear all opinions and speculation so I'm not trying to convince anyone to think like I do. Keep it coming, everyone. To me the second best part of a new series launch is the speculation about how it will play out. :)

uniderth likes this.
  6. Kevin Wolff

lol, me too. Phasers in the kitchen. That's Nick Meyer. Brilliant, but not a Trekkie. He serves the story, not continuity. More reason for thinking big changes are coming with him on the writing staff.

7. CaptainMurdock

CaptainMurdock Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well after their encounter with Tribbles, I'm sure Kirk was like. "Scotty...Put some phasers in the Kitchen, I don't want anything to ever get in my chicken sandwich and coffee again!" :lol:

Jedi Marso, Sector 7 and Jedman67 like this.
  8. Kevin Wolff

Anyone who's even seen those angry chef reality cooking shows knows that weapons in the kitchen are a must.

9. Dr. Bashirs protege

Dr. Bashirs protege Commander Red Shirt

You know how there's always alot of dead red shirts?....well I bet they have mystery meat Fridays....

10. CaptainMurdock

I like to make costumes and I recently ordered this shirt and star trek patch. Maybe the uniforms could look something like this.
    [​IMG]

11. Kevin Wolff

Nice, has a 70's retro feel, like if you told me this was a concept for Phase 2 I would have believed you.

12. CaptainMurdock

Thank you. I had TOS in mind when picking it out. :)

13. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I was shocked in Teen Titans when Robin is disrobing and his costume is revealed to be a green shirt and a red vest instead of a green and red shirt. The TOS uniforms were also more layered than I originally thought they were.

14. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Because that "era" doesn't exist. It's not history. It's fiction. Stories get retold in many ways, and visual storytelling changes with the times.

Superman and Batman don't dress the way they did when I was a kid, either. If I get worked up about that the problem is mine, not that of the creators.

Nerys Myk likes this.
  15. Kevin Wolff

That's kind of cool. It does make sense that sensitive electronics might have issues in deep space, near a matter/anti-matter reactor, subspace signals, etc. They might need something more robust with lots of shielding surrounding it. lots of big....bright red....boxes. The tricorders would be miniscule if they didn't need such heavy shielding. And the only portable display they can use in harsh environments is an old grayscale CRT.

That's what is great about the novels. They're not hampered by TV limitations but Trek readers are still continuity fans so they have to explain all these limitations. It's creative and also helps further expand the world of Trek, canon or not.

BUT, that still doesn't explain why they kept the phasers in the galley....or the galley itself. Wouldn't you agree there have been some questionable creative choices that you've edited out of your personal canon?

Here's my shortlist:
    The Galley
    The Nexus
    The Argo
    :rommie:

16. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Remember, the definition of "canon" doesn't and can't require that no contradictions can exist. Two completely incompatible things can both be canon, and in many cases are.

Sector 7 likes this.
  17. Kevin Wolff

Forgot to add my new edits :techman:

The Galley - Is not the galley. It's a conference room or something repurposed for a science experiment and that stock pot was a specimen container or something.
    The Nexus - Never happened. The Ribbon was an anomaly that almost destroyed the Enterprise B. Kirk died most heroically saving everyone. Guinan wasn't even there. She was on Risa on with her 32nd husband.
    The Argo - Then never went down to that planet. Never said the names Argo or B4. Never showed the wedding. Nothing happened in this movie except for the intro of the Remans.

18. Kevin Wolff

That's a good point. And a commercially sound one.

19. Kevin Wolff

Kind of like why Disney doesn't axe prequel star wars as canon while making only the slightest passing nod to them. That "universe" still sells in a variety of media

20. UssGlenn

UssGlenn Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have no problem with the Galley, they had one on the original Enterprise too, it's where Charlie Evans put the Turkeys. it probably acts as the central control for the replicator system, and you have to have somewhere to go for real cooking for special occasions.

As for phasers, you either keep them all locked up in the armoury, or you distribute them over the whole ship for easy access in times of emergency. the Enterprise A obviously uses the latter system.

Kevin Thomas Riley and Kor like this.