Star Trek: Discovery - The Enterprise War

I suppose it’s slightly better than a stock photo of Pike. Anyway of getting it with the proper Enterprise? :)

That is the proper Enterprise for a Discovery novel.
Love the cover. I actually just went looking for it on S&S site yesterday, and was surprised to see we hadn't gotten on yet. Guess I just needed to wait a day.

You know, I was just looking at the cover art for the 1988 Diane Carey book, “Final Frontier” And it got me wondering if the artists on Discovery were maybe inspired by that Enterprise. Maybe someone had a copy and saw the swept back nacelle struts that seem to come out from just behind the neck.

That's overthinking it. The backswept nacelles are clearly inspired by the TMP refit.

And here's the back cover — and some familiar faces!

star-trek-discovery-the-enterprise-war-9781982113315_xlg-back.jpg

I know it is The Enterprise War but it is interesting they are all shown holding phasers.
What's especially interesting is that means pictures were taken of them holding phasers, despite the fact we don't ever see Anson Mount holding a phaser while wearing his Enterprise uniform, nor does Rebecca Romijn ever hold a phaser. And Ethan Peck spends a minute of screen-time in uniform (and without beard), yet apparently at least two promotional pictures were taken of him like that, this and the one of him doing the Live Long and Prosper salute that leaked before the finale aired.

What's especially interesting is that means pictures were taken of them holding phasers, despite the fact we don't ever see Anson Mount holding a phaser while wearing his Enterprise uniform, nor does Rebecca Romijn ever hold a phaser. And Ethan Peck spends a minute of screen-time in uniform (and without beard), yet apparently at least two promotional pictures were taken of him like that, this and the one of him doing the Live Long and Prosper salute that leaked before the finale aired.

Not surprising. Publicity photos rarely have anything to do with specific plot points, they're just generic poses, often suggesting action scenes. We saw similar publicity photos of the TOS cast from the second pilot, and of Shatner, Nimoy, and Whitney at the start of season 1.

Yeah, it just seems odd, particularly in Ethan Peck's case that they would do promotional photos of him looking a way he does for exactly one minute of screen time.

Yeah, it just seems odd, particularly in Ethan Peck's case that they would do promotional photos of him looking a way he does for exactly one minute of screen time.

It makes perfect sense, because publicity photos aren't meant to duplicate specific story points, they're meant to be generic images that can be used for magazine covers and articles, book covers, advertisements, greeting cards, toy packaging, etc. Shaggy bearded Spock is a plot point in a specific storyline, so such photos wouldn't be useful for purposes outside that storyline. This is default Spock, adaptable to whatever publicity or merchandising needs might arise in the future.

Those early TOS publicity photos I mentioned didn't match anything from the show, because the show hadn't been shot yet. Shatner, Nimoy, and Whitney were wearing interim costumes, holding leftover pilot props and the 3-foot Enterprise miniature, and Whitney's hairstyle was one she'd never use onscreen.

Yeah, I was just thinking, "Couldn't Spock have a tricorder?"

Spock brings both — but you may safely infer that one proves more logically suited to the setting. ;)

(A smart choice in any event: Whether it’s called the Enterprise War or the Enterprise Science Mission, I always seem to find a way to smash a few bulkheads!)

Back