Star Trek: Discovery - The Enterprise War

Finished the book and really liked it. Not a huge fan of the Pike era (too few of my favorite TOS-era characters there), but I was looking forward to it due to general appreciation of the DSC novels (haven't had a chance to watch the show yet for various reasons, so the books allow me to get in on it) and the author. @JJMiller has been one of my favorite Star Wars tie-in writers (Kenobi remains my favorite novel of that series to date) and he did not disappoint.

Really like the story unfolded with a lot of different viewpoints and different challenges for the characters. The various Easter eggs, like the battle bridge bit, were a lot of fun an well-integrated into the narrative (as much as I like the Reeves-Stevens novels, they so overload their stuff with blatant Easter eggs it can be distracting). Also really appreciated the bits intended to "fix" discrepancies within DSC TV show/books and the larger franchise. Irregardless of how in/out of continuity the tie-ins are at the end of the day, it does really help make everything feel like it's part of the same world, which I think will be the biggest hurdle when I get to watch the show.

Agree that it's the best cover in the DSC line to date; it's better composed then the "publicity shots of relevant characters" covers we've gotten before and really eye-catching. As much as my mixed feelings are on the DSC Enterprise redesign being slotted between its two appearances in "Cage" configuration (that ship had a lot of refits -- "Cage" to DSC, to "Cage" to classic TOS -- in a few years!), it is a beautiful redesign in and of itself and I liked seeing it on a piece of artwork.

Interesting -- first I've seen of it. There's nothing new under the sun!

The novel actually reminded me of "A Taste of Armageddon" (TOS) by way of "Year of Hell" (VOY), with a bit of "Balance of Terror" (TOS) in the mix (and I mean all that as a positive; the book's version of the show's analogue ideas was well-handled and a big reason why I enjoyed it).

Pretty sure I know what happened — I Googled "star trek bermuda triangle," which took me here. Serves me right for relying on a summary!

(Perhaps it can be finessed that Connolly meant people back then still went in even though they knew better — rather than people today still went in.)

Had actually wondered about the Delphic Expanse bit, given that the NX-01 cew kinda ended the wonky stuff about it the TV show. Course, you never specified what was so dangerous about it, so maybe it was something other then the Sphere Builders' stuff; weird space stuff isn't the only dangers an area can have.

Last edited:
The Literary Treks episode on the novel is now online, including some responses to questions raised in this very thread. http://www.trek.fm/literary-treks/278

Heard most of it. Really like hearing authors talk about their projects and the creative process. (Also looking forward to the notes on your personal website; I love behind-the-scenes info and trivia guides like that made by the creators).

Didn't realize you were doing another DSC novel. Can't wait for that and hope you can do another Literary Trek interview when that one comes out.

Regrettably I’m about three years behind on the website notes — the Prey essays will be pretty involved so I’ve been waiting for a quiet month. Not ruling out that I’d do the Enterprise War one first!

Oh, sure, can understand that.

I finished this a few days ago. The aliens I found rather generic and very similar to the Trill in the end. For most of the book the aliens felt like the aliens from Nathan Archer’s book “Ragnorak” where they were at battle with their enemy for so long that no one remembered why they were at battle or only had the faintest of ideas.

Overall, with the Enterprise crew, I was seeing Hunter in Pike’s role the majority of the time (early on I saw Bruce Greenwood, but it eventually became Hunter), Majel Barret in Number One’s role, and Laurel Goodwin as Colt.

For most of the book the aliens felt like the aliens from Nathan Archer’s book “Ragnorak” where they were at battle with their enemy for so long that no one remembered why they were at battle or only had the faintest of ideas.

Isn't that Gulliver's Travels? Or DS9: "Battle Lines"?

Isn't that Gulliver's Travels? Or DS9: "Battle Lines"?

In Gulliver, it's remembered what they fight for, it's just ridiculously trivial (whether to crack an egg at the big end or the small end). There are countless other works of fiction that satirize war using both tropes, the original cause being forgotten and the original cause being trivial (or both at once).

In Gulliver, it's remembered what they fight for, it's just ridiculously trivial (whether to crack an egg at the big end or the small end).
Whence came the concept of "endianness" in computer engineering (referring not to soft-boiled eggs, but to how binary numbers are stored in memory).

As I recall, at one time, decades ago, Gullivers (a prime rib house near John Wayne Airport) had a menu item for an end-cut, called "The Big Endian." Unfortunately, the reference was too obscure for most of their customers.

This turn of the conversation has me thinking of "A Taste of Armageddon."

Couple of elements for the SHORT TREKS "Q&A" short we winked at in the ENTERPRISE WAR novel: the book reflects a plentiful amount of rappelling gear on the ship, and Amin is the officer who leads Pike on his first turbolift-shaft climbing expedition.

Last edited:
Last year when I suggested the cover feature the Enterprise, I obviously hadn't yet seen Anson Mount's Captain Pike and Rebecca Romijn as Number One (who appear on the back cover). But we get another chance with the German edition, which releases on December 16. (Beethoven's birthday, no less!)

Amazon US digital: https://amzn.to/2ODGtGJ
Amazon.de digital and physical: http://bit.ly/EntWarDE

EGuKxFBX0AES4vQ

Last year when I suggested the cover feature the Enterprise, I obviously hadn't yet seen Anson Mount's Captain Pike and Rebecca Romijn as Number One (who appear on the back cover). But we get another chance with the German edition, which releases on December 16. (Beethoven's birthday, no less!)

Amazon US digital: https://amzn.to/2ODGtGJ
Amazon.de digital and physical: http://bit.ly/EntWarDE

EGuKxFBX0AES4vQ

Looks a lot like the other DSC book covers. Could be points for consistency, but I personally very much preferred the US edition; it looked like it was graphic-designed with an eye for the artistry, while the ones with the actors on the front always looked like quick Photoshop jobs using random publicity photos with little craftsmanship in the design.

I'm not privy to graphic design decision-making, but covers are sales pieces, and I would suspect that photographic likenesses are seen as more likely to sell copies than rendered likenesses early in a property's run, at least until characters become more recognizable. At least that's been the movie-poster theory for a long while. (Exceptions abound, of course, many painted by Drew Struzan!)

Back